maryportfuncity

Captain Beefheart

Was it dun-coloured?
I read somewhere that Gretchen Franklin's father's penis was called Clive.

They didn't say, but apparently nobody liked it up 'em.

Guest Mickey Bitsko
Very sad if he is on the way out, I presume a lot of people reading this thread haven't listened to his music but most of it isn't avant-garde twangery like Trout Mask Replica, a lot of it is very listenable. He was incredibly diverse, download a couple of songs - her eyes are a blue million miles, too much time, I'm glad, sure nuff n yes I do, zig zag wanderer, circumstances - he had a ton of great songs.

Fast and stroking, zorch and bulbous!

'New' album. Though before any deadpoolers get too despondent this is one of those - like the Beach Boys' 'Smile' or Neil Young's Chrome Dreams - that was abandoned and subsequently pillaged for songs. Still has one or two unreleased items though.

Guest Amy
Long rumoured to in ill health. According to the nearest thing he has to an official site - beefheart.com - those closest to him deny illness everyone else believes he's got MS. Anyone out there know more?

One of those people I'd thought had died long ago...

Death Mask Replica

He was on the first ever dead pool team I ever put together back in 1999, and he at least turned out to be hardier than Alf Ramsey and Brian Wilde.

Fuck it sideways twice over, I loved this guy's music. I'm off out later, already sorted out Trout Mask Replica and Ice Cream for Crow, I'll give them a goodly blast in the car.

God this is the third person on the 2009 list we took off for this year that died this year

The other two being John Forsythe and Steinbrenner

Who next? Jao Havalage?

This week has got worse and worse....

He was the best, the very very best. :(

Jeff Cotton, aka Antennae Jimmy Semens, guitarist with Captain Beefheart's Magic Band between 1967 and 1970, has apparently died aged 68.

9 hours ago, JQW said:

Jeff Cotton, aka Antennae Jimmy Semens, guitarist with Captain Beefheart's Magic Band between 1967 and 1970, has apparently died aged 68.

Still alive.

12 hours ago, ObakeFilter said:

His cousin Victor Hayden, AKA The Mascara Snake, has died after being struck by a van.

http://www.beefheart.com/victor-hayden-rip/

Sad

Trout Mask Replica is 50 years old next year - recorded in March - released 16 June

Still sounds more challenging and inspired than most of the stuff it inspired

Rockette Morton of the Magic Band has suffered a "minor" stroke and is apparently hospitalized.

4 hours ago, ObakeFilter said:

Rockette Morton of the Magic Band has suffered a "minor" stroke and is apparently hospitalized.

Is this a medical ailment or the more typical ailment of a 70s pop star and the parent came round and lamped him in the face?