Boudicca

The Deathlist Kitchen

I prefer fish I have knocked on the head to the trawlered variety that have either died of suffocation or from their lungs bursting..

Fish stocks must be bad if trawlers are targeting lungfish now.

Make mine a sushi lung please! mmm-hmmm. :(

OK clever dick, well spotted, I meant the swim bladder. Doh!

Godot, your recent food related posts contain (amongst other things) mention of fish, salad and abstinence, a 'Freudian' would perhaps see things differently.

Godot, your recent food related posts contain (amongst other things) mention of fish, salad and abstinence, a 'Freudian' would perhaps see things differently.

They also include the words: Nobu, head, bursting, shooting, vinegar and (sadly) "all shrivelled up". No mention of Grimsby though (until now).

The dick I was thinking about was the pudding variety, covered in custard. Good, traditional fayre, not that newfangled stuff. I thought perhaps you were on a diet. Why you should think otherwise, I have no idea. :(

The dick I was thinking about was the pudding variety, covered in custard. Good, traditional fayre, not that newfangled stuff. I thought perhaps you were on a diet. Why you should think otherwise, I have no idea. :(

I think it was juxtaposition with the word "bladder" that did it.

I'm not sure this is the right topic for this post. Actually, I'm not sure there is a right topic for this post, but anyway, I try.

In the labyrinth that is the WWW I ran across a forum of questionable taste: Deslicious Dogs. :dead:

regards,

Hein

I will be eating duck tonight.

Edited by Magere Hein

I'm not sure this is the right topic for this post. Actually, I'm not sure there is a right topic for this post, but anyway, I try.

In the labyrinth that is the WWW I ran across a forum of questionable taste: Deslicious Dogs. :dead:

regards,

Hein

And there was me thinking 'Deslicious' was an adjective solely employed to describe Messrs. Lynam and O' Connor...

:D

And there was me thinking 'Deslicious' was an adjective solely employed to describe Messrs. Lynam and O' Connor...

:dead:

Well spotted, one of my rare typos. Or speech impediments, poththibly.

regards,

Hein

I've ignored this thread until now so I hope this post isn't a duplicate of earlier items. Roadkill recipiesenjoy!

:P

Well spotted, one or my rare typos. Or speech impediments, poththibly.

regards,

Hein

One 'or', or one 'of'? Twice in one night? I'm so distressed I'm going to log off, turn off and watch Lost.

You changed it, you bugger! :D:dead:

regards,

Hein

Now this looks like my kind of site. Wonder if they have any Westie recipes.

I don't believe it. They already have a Godot. How many dog-eating Godots are there?

I don't believe it. They already have a Godot. How many dog-eating Godots are there?

Have you tried a google search? Better yet try Dogpile.com. :dead: Arf :D Arf :D Arf :D

Given the hot weather does anyone have any tasty or unusual salad recipes? I'm enjoying mozzarella just now.

Given the hot weather does anyone have any tasty or unusual salad recipes? I'm enjoying mozzarella just now.

My meal of choice is spaghetti & cheese on toast. It's certainly tasty, and I believe also qualifies as an extremely unusual salad recipe.

It has got tomato sauce with the spaghetti, and you can use mozarella instead of the more traditional mature cheddar, so does that make it salad? It can be eaten cold (that might just be me) and I suppose you can put a nice green sprig of some type of pointless garnish on top if that'll help. Just remember to remove it before you start eating, that's not what it's for.

Given the hot weather does anyone have any tasty or unusual salad recipes?

This is currently my favourite kind of salad. It's super-easy to make, and deliciously tasty:

Larp of Chiang Mai (which I believe loosely translates into "F*ck that's one tasty salad!")

Ingredients for the sauce:

350g chicken or pork mince

1 tbsp thai jasmine rice

a couple stalks lemongrass

4-6 deseeded red chillies

several (4-6) kaffir lime leaves

4 tbsp nam pla (fish sauce)

6 tbsp lime juice

several spring onions, chopped

Ingredients for the salad:

mint leaves, chopped but not too finely

corriander leaves, chopped but not too finely

a variety of vegetables (I use tasty lettuce (aka not crappy iceburg), cucumber, red/orange/yellow bell peppers, tomato - not all particularly thaiesque I suppose, but still super-tasty)

What to do:

First of all, toast the rice by dry-frying it over a medium heat. Make sure to keep an eye on it so that it doesn't burn. Once it's all pretty much browned, set it aside to cool down.

Next, cook the mince in a frying pan. You may want to add a little water to help the cooking along. If there's a lot of fat once the meat is cooked, feel free to drain it off.

While the meat is cooking, grind together (using either a mortar & pestle or a hand-blender chopping device) the lemongrass, lime leaves, and chillies, until it's a relatively fine paste. It doesn't have to be pureed (as it won't be if you use a m&p) but as paste-like as pos. Then, add the lime juice and nam pla. Stir so it's all blended.

Finally, grind the toasted rice into as fine a powder as possible. The finer the better.

Now, add all of the above to the meat, stirring the rice in last. The point of the rice is that it acts as a thickener, so it's best to add it once you've added the lime juice and nam pla mixture to the meat. Stir it thoroughly so that all of the ingredients are well mixed together. Finally, add the spring onions.

This delicious mixture is now ready to be put over your salad veg. Don't forget: food tastes better when it looks fabulous, so arrange your salad greens attractively, and then spoon the warm meat mixture overtop. This quantity equates to approximately four servings.

Yum!

You could try this Godot, it's lovely.

Salmon & Rice Salad

Ingredients

175g (6 oz.) long grain rice

225g (8 oz.) tin of salmon

225g (1/2 lb) tomatoes, skinned and chopped

60ml (4 tbsps) finely chopped chives

45 ml (3 tbsps) double cream, whipped

90ml (6 tbsps) mayonnaise

grated rind of 1 lemon

salt & pepper

Cook the rice and allow to cool. Drain the salmon, remove the skin and bones and flake the fish, add with the tomatoes and chives to the rice and mix. Fold the whipped cream into the mayonnaise and add the lemon rind and salt and pepper to taste. Fold in the rice mixture, press into a 2pt ring mould (or jelly mould). When chilled, turn out onto a plate*, enjoy.

* I usually just put it in a bowl in th fridge and serve it straight from there without turning it out onto a plate.

I think someone's mentioned Crumble previously in this thread, but I couldn't find it*

4 ingredients, 4 instructions, 40 minutes. 0 bullshit

1 medium sized casserole dish

2 measures plain flour (Wholemeal is great too)

1 measure butter

½ measure sugar (I used brown but white is fine)

3 measures [pride] freshly-picked blackcurrants from my garden [/pride](or virtually any other fruit).

1) Mix the flour, butter and sugar with your fingers for a few minutes until they are of breadcrumb consistency.

2) Put the blackcurrants in the casserole.

(Things went a bit Carmen Miranda at this point; I decided to add a chopped-up banana. I thought about adding half an onion just to see the look on Mrs SC's face when she ate it, but decided I'd rather have the crumble than a good laugh.)

3) Place the crumble in an even layer on top of the blackcurrants.

4) Pop it all in the oven, roughly just-above-medium heat for roughly 30 mins.

If you've a sweet tooth, take it out half-way through baking and sprinkle some more sugar on top :)

Eat it on its own or serve with custard, or vanilla ice cream, or fresh cream, or evaporated milk, or toffee-flavoured yogurt or pretty much anything else, possibly including gravy, if that's your bent.

*I used the search function for the word "crumble"; it couldn't find it. Not believing that nobody had mentioned crumble, I began to read the whole thread but got bored after the first 5 pages.

[Larp of Chiang Mai (which I believe loosely translates into "F*ck that's one tasty salad!")

Couldn't agree with you more, super tasty stuff that. I serve mine on boiled white rice, jasmine or basmati, it's all good. Nice with a bottle (or two) of Sauvignon Blanc or it's posher, Frencher, expensiver European cousin.

Given that this is the season of mellow mists etc., I wonder if any of us has been dicing with death on the fungi trail? I'm no expert but armed with my little book I feel fairly confident now with four or five types beyond the humble mushroom. Mrs G is not so sure but I'm keen to move on to the magic variety. Any tips? Getting it wrong can have pretty drastic consequences.

Sorry Godot old thing, I have no idea about mushrooms although I'm very fond of them on toast.

If your mood is morbid, may I suggest the following delicacy? It also contains elements of squid for those who care about such things.

I offer it here with no apologies for copyright or such things. Buy the book. Then it'll be all right.

Death Roe

-----..-----

ingredients:

450gm cod or similar roe (but not sturgeon)

16ml squid ink

1/2 aubergine

Bottarga

Black Rice

Blackcurrants

1 whole nutmeg

1 lime

1 tbsp olive oil

We start by taking the fresh roes (do not on any account remove the outer membranes) and immersing them for 19 minutes in a simmering mixture of the squid ink and the juice and zest of a medium lime plus just enough water. Once the roes are seething put the black rice on and slowly start grilling half a well-oiled, unsalted aubergine. When it is done, scrape the pulp out and set aside. Its delicious seared and wrinkled skin must also be reserved. When the roes are ready, remove their outer membrane. You will find that despite it the squid ink will have penetrated and turned them black to their hearts. Using a fork, blend the aubergine pulp with the roes and a tablespoon of olive oil. As you work it, gradually crumble and blend with the roes a small quarter of a nutmeg that you have previously pressure-cooked and a sparing benison of grated bottarga. This process must be done by hand. Ideally the individual fish eggs should remain intact. Take a matt-finish black Wedgwood trencher and heap the crumbled roes in the grilled aubergine in the centre of a bed of black rice. A few blackcurrants scattered artistically not only look well but constitute tiny land-mines of unexpected flavour. It is a sable meal for a discoloured mood and may be further set off by being eaten with a sharp and dazzling white yoghurt.

I can't deal with the directions but I've heard of these high minded foods which relatives of this are salmon, sun flower seeds and certain vegetables. I'm no chef 'To bad' but if possible I would invite Rachel Ray over for the evening so she could cook this for me. I can't stand her and she has the most annoying voice on the face of the planet, but her cooking skills are pin point professional.

Sorry Godot old thing, I have no idea about mushrooms although I'm very fond of them on toast.

If your mood is morbid, may I suggest the following delicacy? It also contains elements of squid for those who care about such things.

I offer it here with no apologies for copyright or such things. Buy the book. Then it'll be all right.

Death Roe

-----..-----

ingredients:

450gm cod or similar roe (but not sturgeon)

16ml squid ink

1/2 aubergine

Bottarga

Black Rice

Blackcurrants

1 whole nutmeg

1 lime

1 tbsp olive oil

We start by taking the fresh roes (do not on any account remove the outer membranes) and immersing them for 19 minutes in a simmering mixture of the squid ink and the juice and zest of a medium lime plus just enough water. Once the roes are seething put the black rice on and slowly start grilling half a well-oiled, unsalted aubergine. When it is done, scrape the pulp out and set aside. Its delicious seared and wrinkled skin must also be reserved. When the roes are ready, remove their outer membrane. You will find that despite it the squid ink will have penetrated and turned them black to their hearts. Using a fork, blend the aubergine pulp with the roes and a tablespoon of olive oil. As you work it, gradually crumble and blend with the roes a small quarter of a nutmeg that you have previously pressure-cooked and a sparing benison of grated bottarga. This process must be done by hand. Ideally the individual fish eggs should remain intact. Take a matt-finish black Wedgwood trencher and heap the crumbled roes in the grilled aubergine in the centre of a bed of black rice. A few blackcurrants scattered artistically not only look well but constitute tiny land-mines of unexpected flavour. It is a sable meal for a discoloured mood and may be further set off by being eaten with a sharp and dazzling white yoghurt.

Sounds actually quite nice NAP, I love aubergines and it seems like a dish where all the flavours mix, might be a good Halloween Party dish, perhaps to some it looks better than it tastes!

As for Mushrooms on toast, Mmmm, one of my favourite dishes, I grind quite a bit of pepper over the mushrooms as they cook, but a delicious lunch, students take note, cheaper and healthier than a MacDonalds!!!