eejit

Peter Osgood Dies

Peter Osgood's death is big enough news, in the UK anyway, that having his own thread for a day or two seems alright. Because no one has ever heard of 99.9999999999999999999999% of the people who die that get mentioned in the "Near Misses" thread, having a separate thread for those deaths that are actually of interest to a large number of DL members makes sense.

Thank you. That is exactly the reason that I started the thread.

• Like 1

Thanks for the explanation on the Osgood is good/is no good history. Football fans can be such a fickle lot. I wonder if Rooney scores tonight how the Kop will respond. Bet it won't be booing.

Surely it'll be "Rooney is a looney" ?

I'm aware that Lady Die has posted this in Near Misses already, but is there any reason that this is still a thread? Is this one of those threads we'd rather have floating on the top of the DL forums instead of some others?

Sorry, I'm in a bad mood today, but you'd think after the big deal we just had over large numbers of threads, people, especially members who have been here a while, would know where recent deaths go.

Calm down, calm down. I've already dealt with this is a more subtle manner.

(But only because I didn't want it to look like I was picking on iain)

F**k subtlety. If 99.99999999% of the people are so unfamous that no one has ever heard of them, then they should go in the "Not Famous Enough" thread. Ugh, I'm too pissed about real life to make a cohesive argument right now.

I'm aware that Lady Die has posted this in Near Misses already, but is there any reason that this is still a thread? Is this one of those threads we'd rather have floating on the top of the DL forums instead of some others?

Sorry, I'm in a bad mood today, but you'd think after the big deal we just had over large numbers of threads, people, especially members who have been here a while, would know where recent deaths go.

F**k subtlety. If 99.99999999% of the people are so unfamous that no one has ever heard of them, then they should go in the "Not Famous Enough" thread. Ugh, I'm too pissed about real life to make a cohesive argument right now.

Up the red wine intake old chap, it really helps to put things into their proper perspective. :D

Indeed. Anyway CP, you're quite rigt that many of the Near Miss mentions should be posted elsewhere, but that thread has become the graveyard of just about every death mentioned on Wikipedia and sites far more obscure. It is what it is though, and don't worry, irrelevant threads will be purged.

Any player to be called up to play for the national squad has made the grade. Even if they're called up 4 times like Osgood

Should've been 40. But then, Ramsey & Revie didn't really like all those show players. The likes of Bowles, Osgood, Hudson, Charlie George etc - should really have got more caps if talent is a virtue. Even though John Hollins, Osgood's team-mate, was no showman, he only won 1 cap. It amazes me how some players in the England team tonight have simply racked up cap after cap, but hey, that's an discussion for another time.

Osgood was part of the George Best era of footballers who were sublimely talented, for those of you who don't know who he is. I think the reason it is big news is many, many people have either lost a hero or suddenly feel very old all of a sudden.

Nice to see the Anfield crowd clap, then observe a minutes silence AND respect the opposition's anthem, but that too is for a discussion elsewhere...

Revie didn't like show players? He had a whole team of them at Leeds.

Not when capping them for England, he didn't.

Indeed, you must remember most of his Leeds show players weren't English like Giles etc.

Only when dear old Joe Mercer took the reins as a caretaker boss that the likes of Osgood etc. got a go. Mercer had nothing to lose so picked the most talented players & just sat back & enjoyed.

I think Revie thought that England & Leeds were too different in importance & perhaps in tactics to have the same outset. Looking back, it looks like he got it badly wrong.

I realise I'm on dodgy ground with Revie. He was good at Leeds but he was crap for England. I also believe some of the match fixing stuff was true, not that he needed to do that. I was joking about show players at Leeds. The ones they did bring in, like Tony Currie, Frank Worthington, then Duncan McKenzie who used to jump over Minis, were after Revie's time.

I only posted it in "near misses" in case anyone thought it wan't important enough to have a thread of its own. Now I realise I should/could have started a new thread. To compensate, I've just started a brand new thread on Russian ex-presidents. :angry:

I only posted it in "near misses" in case anyone thought it wan't important enough to have a thread of its own. Now I realise I should/could have started a new thread. To compensate, I've just started a brand new thread on Russian ex-presidents. :)

No, no, no, Lady Die - you were right and I am a "F*****g W**ker".

Canadian Paul was thoughtful enough to clear that up for me in a PM last night:

In The Interests Of Straightforwardness, Yesterday, 10:36 PM

In the interests of straightforwardness, I think you're a F*****g W**ker. Just thought you might like to know. Feel free to forward this PM to the mods if you are so inflamed.

Is there a rant index for members? :angry:

I only posted it in "near misses" in case anyone thought it wan't important enough to have a thread of its own. Now I realise I should/could have started a new thread. To compensate, I've just started a brand new thread on Russian ex-presidents. :)

No, no, no, Lady Die - you were right and I am a "F*****g W**ker".

Canadian Paul was thoughtful enough to clear that up for me in a PM last night:

In The Interests Of Straightforwardness, Yesterday, 10:36 PM

In the interests of straightforwardness, I think you're a F*****g W**ker. Just thought you might like to know. Feel free to forward this PM to the mods if you are so inflamed.

Is there a rant index for members? :angry:

Please would everyone calm down about this!

The ones they did bring in, like Tony Currie, Frank Worthington, then Duncan McKenzie who used to jump over Minis, were after Revie's time.

Worthington, he was another - only 8 caps for England. Currie got 17, but maybe that should've been more. No matter, it's done now.

The ones they did bring in, like Tony Currie, Frank Worthington, then Duncan McKenzie who used to jump over Minis, were after Revie's time.

Worthington, he was another - only 8 caps for England. Currie got 17, but maybe that should've been more. No matter, it's done now.

When/why did Duncan McKenzie jump over Minis??

Crticallly low blood pressure the other night, probably should have just let it go and kept him on the ignore list (I'm guessing s/he posted my PM from the context). To that I say, always expect straightforwardness from me (though perhaps emotionally motivated straightforwardness) and...

ani_cartman.gif

Whateva, I do what I want!

I realise I'm on dodgy ground with Revie. He was good at Leeds but he was crap for England. I also believe some of the match fixing stuff was true, not that he needed to do that. I was joking about show players at Leeds. The ones they did bring in, like Tony Currie, Frank Worthington, then Duncan McKenzie who used to jump over Minis, were after Revie's time.

That often seems the case with managers. They are outstanding when it comes to managing their league team, then they get made up to be England manager and they teams the select rarely serve up the goods.

Keegan did excellent work with Fulham, but when it came to managing England he couldn't reflect the same quality.

That often seems the case with managers. They are outstanding when it comes to managing their league team, then they get made up to be England manager and they teams the select rarely serve up the goods.

Keegan did excellent work with Fulham, but when it came to managing England he couldn't reflect the same quality.

Graham Taylor, too. Did miracles at Watford, but miracles were in very short supply when England boss.

I reported this in "near misses" (beat you to it by a couple of minutes!)

BBC link

too stinking bad seein as how he now has a mulktipaged thread running well....................... bitter lick next time.

Like I said - calm down.

Yes you seeme to becoming unglued.

Guest RRH

You're all sick f***kers.

Too many stars there, RRH.

I'm actually quite well, apart from a little bit of a cold that I had last week.

However many of the people we discuss on this site are sick, so we try to predict who will be next :angry:

Graham Taylor, too. Did miracles at Watford, but miracles were in very short supply when England boss.

oh yes, Graham Taylor. I couldn't remember his name. According to records, even though he was manager for a very short while. Joe Royal (sP?) has the best record with regards to games played / won

According to records, even though he was manager for a very short while. Joe Royal (sP?) has the best record with regards to games played / won

Joe Royle? He's never been England manager. I think you're thinking of Joe Mercer, who I mentioned earlier. He was caretaker for a few games, played the flair players & he won most of the games they played in. Think he was caretaker between Ramsey & Revie if my memory serves me correctly.

• Like 1