eejit

Peter Osgood Dies

Of the 1966 world cup winning side how many actually still inhabit this acrid planet?

Jack Charlton - The best Irish manager ever.

Geoff Hurst.

Martin Peters.

Anymore?

• Like 1

According to records, even though he was manager for a very short while. Joe Royal (sP?) has the best record with regards to games played / won

Joe Royle? He's never been England manager. I think you're thinking of Joe Mercer, who I mentioned earlier. He was caretaker for a few games, played the flair players & he won most of the games they played in. Think he was caretaker between Ramsey & Revie if my memory serves me correctly.

Oh yes, that's the one. I was trying to remember his name whilst on the phone to our tech department to get my wretched printer fixed :angry:

arent you a mrokderator? can;t you do that Tempost?

{As a matter of fact I can, I just can't be arsed, Tempus}

This post has been edited by Tempus Fugit:March 02 2006 8:59 PM

Mr okderator, wasnt he a fitness guru on breakfast tele,20 years ago?

Of the 1966 world cup winning side how many actually still inhabit this acrid planet?

All of the 22 members of the squad bar Bobby Moore.

The manager, Sir Alf Ramsey & his coach Harold Shepherdson have also passed away.

The referee & the "Russian" (actually Azerbaijani) linesman are dead as is Ken Wolstenholme.

West Germany's team have 10 survivors - only Lothar Emmerich is dead & two other players in their 22 man squad have also died.

How strange that only 1 from 66 has gone, yet 4 from 1970, 4 years later are gone. Normally, its the other way round.

The ones they did bring in, like Tony Currie, Frank Worthington, then Duncan McKenzie who used to jump over Minis, were after Revie's time.

Worthington, he was another - only 8 caps for England. Currie got 17, but maybe that should've been more. No matter, it's done now.

When/why did Duncan McKenzie jump over Minis??

Dunno. Sometimes they would drive a Mini on to the pitch before a match and McKenzie would jump over it. It was his party piece. He scored some very good goals too but didn't pass much, a bit of a missfit at Leeds. Don't know what happened to him. I used to have a book on ex-footbalers called "Where are they now" but I lost it.

Ray Wilson from the 66 squad went on to be an undertaker in Huddersfield, now retired but I'm sure could be brought back to sort his team mates as and when. I don't think Jack Charlton is in anything like as good fettle as his brother.

Proof:

http://www.geocities.com/andrew4leeds/mckenzie.html

Astonishing he never played for England, but this quote from one of the sites might explain why:

John Hunter says: "I played in the same team as him when I was 15 and he was 17. Precocious talented and a greedy bastard. I played a 1-2 with him and I'm still waiting for the 2."

And I forgot, he could also throw a golf ball the length of the pitch. Eat yr heart out Beckham

Re the 66 World Cup side, they could still jog onto the pitch in double figures, only the skipper missing. The same is true of the Manchester United European Championship side of 1968, George Best being the only fatality to date.

The same is true of the Manchester United European Championship side of 1968, George Best being the only fatality to date.

No it isn't.

George Best followed Shay Brennan, who died in 2000. The other 9 are alive.

And as far as the Celtic 1967 European Cup winning squad are concerned, they too are down to 9 after Ronnie Simpson & Bobby Murdoch's deaths, though Jimmy "Jinky" Johnstone is seriously ill now.

Proof:

http://www.geocities.com/andrew4leeds/mckenzie.html

Astonishing he never played for England, but this quote from one of the sites might explain why:

John Hunter says: "I played in the same team as him when I was 15 and he was 17. Precocious talented and a greedy bastard. I played a 1-2 with him and I'm still waiting for the 2."

And I forgot, he could also throw a golf ball the length of the pitch. Eat yr heart out Beckham

I remember him alongside Bobby Latchford playing for Everton,Had some really good games.Then he did a radio show in Liverpool with John Toshack called Mac n Tosh,(honest!)

Apparently still on radio,& you can book him to appear at your gig.

duncan-mckenzie.co.uk/

Is this thread about soccer?

ooooOOOOOOOooooooo Go Tempus :)

ooooOOOOOOOooooooo Go Tempus :D

[sigh].................................

And as far as the Celtic 1967 European Cup winning squad are concerned, they too are down to 9 after Ronnie Simpson & Bobby Murdoch's deaths, though Jimmy "Jinky" Johnstone is seriously ill now.

So, now down to 8. :o

On 02/03/2006 at 00:26, Octopus of Odstock said:

Should've been 40. But then, Ramsey & Revie didn't really like all those show players. The likes of Bowles, Osgood, Hudson, Charlie George etc - should really have got more caps if talent is a virtue. Even though John Hollins, Osgood's team-mate, was no showman, he only won 1 cap. It amazes me how some players in the England team tonight have simply racked up cap after cap, but hey, that's an discussion for another time.

Osgood was part of the George Best era of footballers who were sublimely talented, for those of you who don't know who he is. I think the reason it is big news is many, many people have either lost a hero or suddenly feel very old all of a sudden.

Nice to see the Anfield crowd clap, then observe a minutes silence AND respect the opposition's anthem, but that too is for a discussion elsewhere...

Some reports that John Hollins (Arsenal, Chelsea etc) and possibly Swansea's best manager has died: 

Might be bollocks but hey ho. He would definitely obit, he is/was the father of BBC Breakfast presenter Chris Hollins.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Some reports that John Hollins (Arsenal, Chelsea etc) and possibly Swansea's best manager has died: 

Might be bollocks but hey ho. He would definitely obit, he is/was the father of BBC Breakfast presenter Chris Hollins.

He certainly will Obit. The only person to be voted player of the season at both Chelsea and Arsenal 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

He certainly will Obit. The only person to be voted player of the season at both Chelsea and Arsenal 

He'll obit on his own merit - being the father of Chris is irrelevant. No news from either Chelsea or Arsenal yet.

• Like 1

Why would you post this in a thread that hasn't been posted in for seventeen years, when it could have gone in Time Added?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Toast said:

Why would you post this in a thread that hasn't been posted in for seventeen years, when it could have gone in Time Added?

Because he was mentioned here. :P

Nowt to stop others posting in any other relevant threads is there?

Edit: Mail: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12194107/Chelsea-legend-John-Collins-dies-aged-76-John-Terry-leads-tributes.html

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Toast said:

Because YW is an annoying twat.  He has been mastabatorily rebooting threads constantly since 2015.  I’ve bitched about it before, no one listens to SC.  No big deal, the Basement Dweller proves me correct again and again.

• Facepalm 1