Lady Die

Mikhail Gorbachev

I have reason to believe that Mikhail Gorbachev may not have long to live.We wil see shortly if its true or not

Seeing as Michael Foot & Patrick Moore are still breathing long after you predicted their demise, I hope you all understand that I won't rush to put Gorbachev on any death pools on the back of this "exclusive" & well-documented information....

So, I guess Iain is back as a member again. *sigh* I can't be bothered fighting it any more, there's enough in-fighting on here anyway. I'll just have to take my mediciation & learn to relax more. :ghost:

Aye, beware a poster with nothing more to offer than a four word christian name; Iain & Dave.

Aye, beware a poster with nothing more to offer than a four word christian name; Iain & Dave.

The thing is with Iain's latest prediction is that he said the same thing in March 2006.. look above! It was nonsense then and it's nonsense now.

MPFC, don't forget Stan as well in the four-lettered list.

I'm not as fussed as I used to be on DL ethics, posting, off-topic conversation, whatever.. but I do hate nonsense entries & false rumours like the above. A waste of everyone's time, I should think.

But, if Iain is allowed back, then fair enough. I just hope, this time, he can justify his re-membership with more coherent, well-thought out & well-sourced statements, facts & links. I sincerely doubt it, however.

Anyway, hear endeth my rant.

and to stay on topic, Gorbachev isn't dying any time soon.

I suggest "Dick" would be a more apposite nom-de-plonker

Gorbachev too ill to attend the Iron Lady's funeral. http://www.itv.com/n...atcher-funeral/

Hmm, that could mean anything, from a touch of gout to near death. He's certainly on my 2014 radar.

regards,

Hein

Edited by Magere Hein
Superfluous single quote removed -- bloody Windows computers.

Gorbachev too ill to attend the Iron Lady's funeral. http://www.itv.com/n...atcher-funeral/

Hmm, that could mean anything, from a touch of gout to near death. He's certainly on my 2014 radar.

regards,

Hein

There is a bit more detail in The Telegraph regarding Gorbachev's health.

Mr Gorbachev's health has faltered in recent years, and he has undergone operations on his spine, heart and prostate.

"In the last few years I've begun to ail, and seriously," he said in December.

Perhaps he'd be a good DL2014 candidate?

Yes, I was just thinking yesterday that the West outlasted the Soviet Union but Gorbachev has outlasted Reagan and Thatcher!

Guest Guest

Mr Gorbachev is curently busy working on a tv series documenting his life and career. He is in a hurry to get it completed,because he knows that his time is limited.

Guest Guest
In hospital for routine checkup. The article mentions that he has diabetes, not sure if that was known about before but this was the first I've learned of him having it.

They said Mandelas hospitalisation last december was a 'routine check up'. Not that I think Gorbachev is anywhere near death as Mandela,but you never know...

Guest Guest

Gorby missed an annual meeting of nobel laureates because of unspecified treatment at a hospital in Germany.They're trying to play it down but believe me Gorby wouldn't have missed that meeting if he wasn't seriously unwell.. http://www.news.com....v-1226744104251

BREAKING NEWS: Gorbachev hospitalised but "determined to fight for his life": http://www.abc.net.a...talised/5804074

""My state of health has been moderate for a week and today I am in hospital. My health is deteriorating," the 83-year-old said."

The fact that he seems to be making these statements seems to me to be an encouraging sign.

With Gorbachev clearly close to death http://www.independe...l-30653777.html it wil be interesting to see if Putin gives him a state funeral and if so what world leaders would attend ?!

I'm guessing Putin would probably consider him a traitor for dissolving the empire all those years ago, and therefore he won't get one. Would you honor your dad if his greatest legacy was giving away the family allotment and you had to traipse over there with a rusty sabre you found in the loft and threaten Jill and Bill to give it back or else?

With Gorbachev clearly close to death http://www.independe...l-30653777.html it wil be interesting to see if Putin gives him a state funeral and if so what world leaders would attend ?!

I'm guessing Putin would probably consider him a traitor for dissolving the empire all those years ago, and therefore he won't get one. Would you honor your dad if his greatest legacy was giving away the family allotment and you had to traipse over there with a rusty sabre you found in the loft and threaten Jill and Bill to give it back or else?

Interesting reading of the situation, I'd have rather though Putin would be indebted to Gorbachev for opening up Russia to sham democracy crony capitalism and would ensure he at least had a full state funeral.

To be fair, a lot of the people you'd expect to be at Gorbachev's funeral are dead - Thatcher, Reagan etc.

Interesting reading of the situation, I'd have rather though Putin would be indebted to Gorbachev for opening up Russia to sham democracy crony capitalism and would ensure he at least had a full state funeral.

To be fair, a lot of the people you'd expect to be at Gorbachev's funeral are dead - Thatcher, Reagan etc.

In that article I linked on the previous page, it says "he has criticised Russian president Vladimir Putin and called for him to give up power."

Here is the link again for those too lazy to go back: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-10/former-soviet-leader-mikhail-gorbachev-hospitalised/5804074

Yes, not much love lost there:

"Russian MPs are making an extraordinary bid to have Mikhail Gorbachev prosecuted for the 'illegal' collapse of the Soviet Union more than two decades ago.

They are calling for a criminal probe into the last leader of the USSR, a man widely respected around the world for ending the Cold War.

One MP in Vladimir Putin's United Russia Party even branded 83-year-old Gorbachev a 'US spy' for the break-up of the Communist state 23 years ago.

He also argued that the legal move would offer succour to pro-Moscow groups in other states seeking to revert to Kremlin rule.

Gorbachev today called the MPs' move 'sheer stupidity', adding: 'These people just do not have shame."

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2601490/Russian-MPs-call-Mikhail-Gorbachev-prosecuted-allowing-collapse-Soviet-Union.html

"Mr Gorbachev also criticised Mr Putin's inner circle, saying it was full of "thieves and corrupt officials".

[snip]

"The common thread running through all of them [new laws] is an attack on the rights of citizens. For goodness sake, you shouldn't be afraid of your own people," he told the BBC.

"What people want and expect their president to do is to restore an open, direct dialogue with them. He shouldn't take offence at this.

"He should concentrate on trying to drag Russia out of the difficult situation that she is in."

Mr Gorbachev said he had supported Mr Putin during his first term in office, but relations had since "soured".

The two men rarely speak and have had no direct meetings for more than a year.

"I've criticised him a lot in public. He sometimes loses his temper. Once he said that 'Gorbachev's tongue should be cut short'."

Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-21695314

Guest Guest

Putin might not like Gorbachev much but a state funeral would give him the opportunity to ingratiate himself with western leaders, if they turned up

As far as I know, that's the common view in Russia.

SPIEGEL:The 83-year-old has undergone three serious operations recently -- one on his spine, prostate surgery and another on his carotid artery. Now he's facing a fourth. The medication he takes has changed his face and he no longer likes to be photographed. "I always look like a bulldog in photos now," he says. "Mr. Gorbachev, you don't look like a bulldog," we respond. "Of course I do -- now stop it."

[snip]

SPIEGEL: Are you a happy person today?

Gorbachev: I wrote a few years back that there aren't really any happy reformers. I wasn't in the best of spirits at the time and I allowed myself to get carried away with this sentence. Yes, when I look back, I am a happy person. Tackling major projects and leading an important state was, of course, great.

SPIEGEL: What does a typical day look like for you now? How do you spend your free time?

Gorbachev: My wife Raisa and I had a shared passion. We went on long walks every day, five to six kilometers. That helped me deal with stress. My legs, unfortunately, no longer play along, but I'm not the only one with that problem. I recently visited Helmut Schmidt. He was standing up when he greeted me, but he told me that he often has to use a wheelchair. Helmut Kohl and George Bush Sr. also have also begun relying on technical aids. I fear the time is coming when I will also have to motorize myself.

SPIEGEL: Is it difficult for you to accept that your strength is waning?

Gorbachev: In terms of my health, I felt very good until I turned 75. I continued to jet around the world. The death of my wife Raisa in 1999 was a difficult blow. The last year and a half hasn't been very good; I had to undergo three serious operations. Incidentally, all three took place in Germany. The whole world is fighting against aging, but there's nothing you can do about it. In some ways I feel old, but in others I still feel young. That's how I am.

SPIEGEL: What matters most to you in the years that you still have left?

Gorbachev: To live life and not just survive or vegetate and wait for death. I want to travel to America again in February to give lectures. Next to my books, they're my only source of revenue. I still have goals and that keeps me going.

SPIEGEL: What goals are they?

Gorbachev: I want to continue to be part of the discussion about Russia's future, about global peace and environmental protection. I want to write books, give lectures, attend conferences and give interviews.

SPIEGEL: To try once more to change the world and make it a better place?

Gorbachev: That's no longer necessary. Glasnost and Perestroika live on and they can no longer be stopped.

SPIEGEL: Do you have a fear of death?

Gorbachev: Not at all. I don't know why, but I have none.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/gorbachev-warns-of-decline-in-russian-western-ties-over-ukraine-a-1012992.html

• Like 1

SPIEGEL:The 83-year-old has undergone three serious operations recently -- one on his spine, prostate surgery and another on his carotid artery. Now he's facing a fourth. The medication he takes has changed his face and he no longer likes to be photographed. "I always look like a bulldog in photos now," he says. "Mr. Gorbachev, you don't look like a bulldog," we respond. "Of course I do -- now stop it."

[snip]

SPIEGEL: Are you a happy person today?

Gorbachev: I wrote a few years back that there aren't really any happy reformers. I wasn't in the best of spirits at the time and I allowed myself to get carried away with this sentence. Yes, when I look back, I am a happy person. Tackling major projects and leading an important state was, of course, great.

SPIEGEL: What does a typical day look like for you now? How do you spend your free time?

Gorbachev: My wife Raisa and I had a shared passion. We went on long walks every day, five to six kilometers. That helped me deal with stress. My legs, unfortunately, no longer play along, but I'm not the only one with that problem. I recently visited Helmut Schmidt. He was standing up when he greeted me, but he told me that he often has to use a wheelchair. Helmut Kohl and George Bush Sr. also have also begun relying on technical aids. I fear the time is coming when I will also have to motorize myself.

SPIEGEL: Is it difficult for you to accept that your strength is waning?

Gorbachev: In terms of my health, I felt very good until I turned 75. I continued to jet around the world. The death of my wife Raisa in 1999 was a difficult blow. The last year and a half hasn't been very good; I had to undergo three serious operations. Incidentally, all three took place in Germany. The whole world is fighting against aging, but there's nothing you can do about it. In some ways I feel old, but in others I still feel young. That's how I am.

SPIEGEL: What matters most to you in the years that you still have left?

Gorbachev: To live life and not just survive or vegetate and wait for death. I want to travel to America again in February to give lectures. Next to my books, they're my only source of revenue. I still have goals and that keeps me going.

SPIEGEL: What goals are they?

Gorbachev: I want to continue to be part of the discussion about Russia's future, about global peace and environmental protection. I want to write books, give lectures, attend conferences and give interviews.

SPIEGEL: To try once more to change the world and make it a better place?

Gorbachev: That's no longer necessary. Glasnost and Perestroika live on and they can no longer be stopped.

SPIEGEL: Do you have a fear of death?

Gorbachev: Not at all. I don't know why, but I have none.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/gorbachev-warns-of-decline-in-russian-western-ties-over-ukraine-a-1012992.html

That's a really good interview.

Guest Guest

Looks like he might not die soon after all