Lady Die

Mikhail Gorbachev

He's not dead. It's just a "special departing operation".

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

If the death obit on here doesn’t mention Pizza Hut I will be very upset

• Like 5

For those of you not around at the time, probably THE most pivotal figure of that era in the progress of humanity towards a better world. He certainly stopped pop stars predicting nuclear wipeout which they had been doing for some years, although his contribution to the rise of David Hasselhoff as a singer should not be forgotten as a remaining stain on life on Earth.

In all seriousness, his policies were for better rather than worse, though short term suffering of the people couldn't be tolerated and in came the inebriated Yeltsin.

Just like de Klerk, a convert to legacy, although whether he really wanted Putin's return to a glorious Soviet era Russia might latterly cloud that.

• Like 12

33 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

A part of history gone. 

Carter the only major US/Soviet Cold War figurehead left ?

Wonder will this kick off a run of hits

I think it will. The brew long in the making will be poured into teacups aplenty for the rest of 2022. 

• Like 2

Front page should've gone with "Gorbachev leaves huge mark on 2022 Deathlist".

• Like 1

Bless you Mr Gorbachev.

RiP

• Like 1

Oddly poetic to see the last person to rule over Russia AND Ukraine die at the same time the relationship between the 2 nations couldn't be worse. To think at the end of the cold war the world was full of visions of a peaceful world free from dictatorships and threats of war  - how young and stupid a thought.

• Like 8
  • Sad 4

Came to say similar to Katyusha, seemed written that the man who brought Russia in from the cold should die in the year it returned to it. Rest in Peace, Comrade Gorbachev.

• Like 1

It was a pleasure doing business with him.

On 03/07/2022 at 03:34, Philip said:

Looks like he will make the new year, not sure how much longer after that.

Not even 2 months

11 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I think it will. The brew long in the making will be poured into teacups aplenty for the rest of 2022. 

A much tamer metaphor than the enema. You must be mellowing with age :D

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, TQR said:

A much tamer metaphor than the enema. You must be mellowing with age :D

Not at all! I am just trying to illustrate that I am a guy capable of being versatile! I've always found it helps when I'm out and about!^_^

Besides the enema is real not just a metaphor-underestimate it at your peril....

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, Insane said:

If the death obit on here doesn’t mention Pizza Hut I will be very upset

I’m upset 

• Like 1

A  bit late but it's  a hit for me.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Katyusha said:

To think at the end of the cold war the world was full of visions of a peaceful world free from dictatorships and threats of war  - how young and stupid a thought.

They can have a fireside chat in the great hereafter now.

• Haha 1

RIP. On balance a good man who served the people of Russia and the world well by playing his part in ending the Cold War.

I feel we’ve lost somebody who could be seen as a voice of reason in Russia. In the West we may not have agreed with everything he said, but he could be relied on to put forward a reasonable Russian perspective, rather than the lunacy of the current cabal. 

On a different note, I think that really leaves only Brian Mulroney of Canada as the last living leader of a major power from the 80s.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Thatcher said:

RIP. On balance a good man who served the people of Russia and the world well by playing his part in ending the Cold War.

I feel we’ve lost somebody who could be seen as a voice of reason in Russia. In the West we may not have agreed with everything he said, but he could be relied on to put forward a reasonable Russian perspective, rather than the lunacy of the current cabal. 

On a different note, I think that really leaves only Brian Mulroney of Canada as the last living leader of a major power from the 80s.

It does (Through Carter was President throughout 1980 so could count.) Maybe Arnaldo Forlani and Joe Clark as well but their terms were brief. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, arghton said:

Jiang Zemin's also still alive.

Shhh! Don't let him know!

• Haha 1

Ok I’m seeing several Pizza Hut comments and I’m presuming y’all had a fake Gorby in some advert (odd seeing as The Hut is one of ours).  I have no context for said comments.  Please advise and attach proof of same as I’m far too lazy to take care of this myself.

Thanks in advance.

SC

• Facepalm 1

12 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Ok I’m seeing several Pizza Hut comments and I’m presuming y’all had a fake Gorby in some advert (odd seeing as The Hut is one of ours).  I have no context for said comments.  Please advise and attach proof of same as I’m far too lazy to take care of this myself.

Thanks in advance.

SC

Could’ve just done a 5 second Google to get your answer rather than write out a long ass comment, but alas you’re not too bright.

• Haha 1