Death Watch Beatle

Greg Louganis

You know I like a bit of research - so here is my latest discovery:

GREG LOUGANIS (1960-)

Greg Louganis, the most successful diver in history, has recently gone public with the news that his mental health took its own plunge years ago.

Louganis, the winner of five Olympic medals, first experienced depression at age 12 when a doctor told him that because of knee damage, he would have to give up gymnastics and his dream of competing in the Olympics.

Louganis attempted suicide by downing aspirin and Ex-Lax, trying again twice before the age of 18. While counseling sessions accomplished little, Louganis found that diving--a sport less grueling for the knees--was a satisfying way to express his physical talents.

By 1971 he had qualified for the Junior Olympics. Five years later, at the age of 16, Louganis won a silver medal at the Montreal Olympics in the 10-meter platform diving competition. He went on to win gold medals in the 1984 and 1988 Olympic Games.

But Louganis felt acute insecurities and inner conflicts about being gay. In a crushing blow, he found out in 1987 that he was HIV-positive.

For years, Louganis did not share the news of his illness for fear that it would cost him his diving career. He relied on the income from endorsements and appearances to pay his enormous medical expenses rather than submit the bills to his insurance company.

Louganis has since gone public with his illness, touring the country to give speeches about his life experiences and act as a positive role model.

I don't think Greg is in any immediate danger of joining the DeathList, but it is nice to know that younger folk can get a mention in the forum.

Must dash - more research to do.

DWB :lol:

Suicide by Ex-Lax, Jesus...what a way to go.

The bottom must have fallen out of his world.

Or the world fell out......

Very interesting piece on Louganis DWB - Im sure Im not the only one who remembers him smashing his head on the diving board on the way down in the Olympics in 1988. (Frankly my most memorable moment in Olympic diving!)

With this extra information coming to light perhaps the Olympic incident was a yet another suicide attempt - a pretty unusual one I agree... but then again suicide by ex-lax...!

What do they do when you take an OD of ex-lax?? Presumably try to pump your stomach back in :lol:

I'm no expert on the subject, but my general understanding is that being HIV positive is not the same as having AIDS. Magic Johnson is HIV positive, but despite lame hoaxes to the contrary as far as I'm aware Magic remains in good health. Presumably Greg Louganis is the same, along with the likes of Holly Johnson and other notables who are HIV+.

And no, none of the other divers who followed Louganis into the pool after he hit his head on the board in the '88 Olympics contracted AIDS, HIV, chicken pox or anything else as a result, so nominations for any of them will likely fall of deaf (rather than death) ears too.

HIV is a virus which weakens the immune system, and if it continues to do so beyond a certain point (something to do with the measurable amount of immune cells left in the body), it's officially classified as AIDS.

But with modern drugs, HIV/AIDS sufferers can survive for 20+ years, making them an unreliable choice for dead pools.

Guest JRT lover

I saw Greg in July 2004 at a dog show in southern California. I have seen him and talked with him over the last 5 years and he is in good health. He is physically and mentally strong.

I saw Greg in July 2004 at a dog show in southern California.  I have seen him and talked with him over the last 5 years and he is in good health.  He is physically and mentally strong.

I hope JRT doesn't mean this...

JRT

I hope JRT doesn't mean this...

JRT

Death by Ex Lax and Jumbo Toilet rolls in the one thread. :unsure:

Wow, never knew you could get aids from diving. Must have given in to homosexuality after experimenting with women :unsure:

Brit diver smashes her head on the platform. Watch if you dare... Ouch!

How much points did she get for that?