Our Sole

Nelson Mandela

Chance to study form soon, BBC reporting he intends to attend World Cup.

Hmmm... really?

In other breaking news, ursine defecation has been discovered in several forested regions, whilst the pope has been exposed as a catholic. Also, the Sun is allegedly going to rise in the east tomorrow.

His great grandaughter was killed in a road accident lastnight.

Hmmm... really?

In other breaking news, ursine defecation has been discovered in several forested regions, whilst the pope has been exposed as a catholic. Also, the Sun is allegedly going to rise in the east tomorrow.

The great man didn't make it.

In further news; bears toiletry habits, Pope's religion and sun rising believed under threat

Our favourite ex-president atttended the closing ceremony of the World Cup. A highpoint in a, for me, cheerless night. Perhaps he gets the hint.

regards,

Hein

Guess it's fitting to add a "happy 92nd birthday" note in this thread.

While this man is elderly and lived a long rich life, his death will be a very sad loss to democracy and humanity throughout the world. He has set a fine example of courage and leadership.

Just got to grips with twitter and how it all works etc.

Learnt a valuable life lesson in NOT trusting the trends after RIP NELSON MANDELA fooled me and almost made my day a bad one.

That is good. You know, in all seriousness for once, when Mandela passes away, I think there will be a lot of bloodshed in South Africa. He is holding the country together as a figurehead but once he is gone it will all just boil to the surface, (this on top of the current crime problems, endemic AIDS epidemic and crumbling health system. )

:eshock:

That is good. You know, in all seriousness for once, when Mandela passes away, I think there will be a lot of bloodshed in South Africa. He is holding the country together as a figurehead but once he is gone it will all just boil to the surface, (this on top of the current crime problems, endemic AIDS epidemic and crumbling health system. )

Mandela isn't holding the country together. He left the political stage years ago.

Mandela isn't holding the country together. He left the political stage years ago.

Indeed, he hasn't been in the thick of things for some time, shame cause the present lot in SA are a right sorry bunch, their handling of the HIV/AIDS epidemic in particular was unforgivable.

His passing will be a big deal, can expect a full state funeral with all major world leaders in attendance

Indeed, he hasn't been in the thick of things for some time, shame cause the present lot in SA are a right sorry bunch, their handling of the HIV/AIDS epidemic in particular was unforgivable.

His passing will be a big deal, can expect a full state funeral with all major world leaders in attendance

I meant as a purely symbolic figurehead. I think once that figurehead goes, all hell will break loose there.

I meant as a purely symbolic figurehead. I think once that figurehead goes, all hell will break loose there.

That makes no sense. He has made his contribution, he has retired, and has been out of public life since 2004.

Thats like saying all hell should have broken loose in Britain after Churchill died.

That makes no sense. He has made his contribution, he has retired, and has been out of public life since 2004.

Thats like saying all hell should have broken loose in Britain after Churchill died.

In the context of South Africa's history, and Nelson Mandela's place in it, it makes all sort of sense.

• Like 1

In the context of South Africa's history, and Nelson Mandela's place in it, it makes all sort of sense.

Ok then, who will play up when Mandela - the old man who has been absent from the political scene for over a decade - dies at the age of 92/3 years?

Ok then, who will play up when Mandela - the old man who has been absent from the political scene for over a decade - dies at the age of 92/3 years?

I imagine little will change, sure it may make everybody pause and think for a moment, but life will go on.

Now Mubarak in Egypt or Mugabe in Zimbabwe on the other hand...

Guest Ledders

He should have died on the gallows decades ago, the man was a terrorist who advocated violent struggle, he is no Gandhi

He may have mellowed in his old age but to me he is nothing more than the black Gerry Adams

Even in presidency he oversaw the massive spread of AIDS and did not sack Zuma when Zuma said taking a shower prevents AIDS, he was also a communist and someone who was close friends with the likes of Mugabe, Saddam Hussein and others

I for one will not shed a single tear, PW Botha/Vorster should have had him swinging from the gallows like any other terrorist

Personally I will take no pleasure in such a great man being the 2nd hit of the year :eshock:

Me neither, as he's not in my DDP teams.

Anyway, he's been released from hospital and not, by the look of it, "to die".

He should have died on the gallows decades ago, the man was a terrorist who advocated violent struggle, he is no Gandhi

I don't think they should string 'im up but I do strongly agree with the rest of your statement. Someone correct me if I am wrong but I don't think he has ever made any statement indicating remorse for the bombings in which he participated.

Windsor, to answer your question, despite aforementioned terrorist activities by Mandela, I think his role as a symbolic figurehead is acting as a restraint now. I think reprisals may very well escalate once he has gone. I am just not sure how seriously people will adhere to the Truth and Reconciliation Committee after he has disappeared from the scene. Also, if you question the value of the man's symbolism in uniting black and white, remember that international rugby match where he came out in the team jumper and supported them when he first became President, despite the players all being white? It was just a political stunt but a lot of commentators have noted its symbolic value as it helped the whole nation, black and white, get behind that team.

He may have mellowed in his old age but to me he is nothing more than the black Gerry Adams

Even in presidency he oversaw the massive spread of AIDS and did not sack Zuma when Zuma said taking a shower prevents AIDS, he was also a communist and someone who was close friends with the likes of Mugabe, Saddam Hussein and others

I for one will not shed a single tear, PW Botha/Vorster should have had him swinging from the gallows like any other terrorist

"Oversaw the massive spread of AIDS" - I didn't realise it was a man-made conspiracy. Sure he was friends with Mugabe once, or at least allies, but he has publicly denounced him and his regime on several occasions.

Had he been hanged he would have become a martyr, and the ANC would likely have resorted to more violent tactics.

Guest iain

talk about being on the wrong side of history!