Our Sole

Nelson Mandela

Guest Guest

It has been confirmed that US Presidents Barack Obama, Bill Clinton and George W Bush wil be attending the funeral. George HW Bush is too frail to travel to it. Jimmy Carter hasn't said whether he's going or not,although I'd be amazed if he didn't, unless his health has taken a serious turn for the worse lately

http://www.usatoday.com/story/theoval/2013/12/06/obama-george-w-bush-nelson-nelson-mandela/3895705/

Just occurred to me....... who will be "Mandela's Mother Teresa"? (If he has one.)

You might recall Mother Teresa died about a week after Diana. Almost as if she was "dying in sympathy" or something. Wonder if some other frail old "saint" will go in the next few days. I'm thinking... possibly Ali?

I'd say Mandela was the Teresa to Paul Walker's Diana. Personally I'd never heard of Walker but the reaction on Facebook among a lot of people was as strong as it was for Mandela.

• Like 1

Just occurred to me....... who will be "Mandela's Mother Teresa"? (If he has one.)

You might recall Mother Teresa died about a week after Diana. Almost as if she was "dying in sympathy" or something. Wonder if some other frail old "saint" will go in the next few days. I'm thinking... possibly Ali?

I'd say Mandela was the Teresa to Paul Walker's Diana. Personally I'd never heard of Walker but the reaction on Facebook among a lot of people was as strong as it was for Mandela.

I came here to say that, so take my like.

• Like 1

Two of the older guys at work were talking about the sad news the other day;

"Gee Cyril, all that jail food must have agreed with him."

"Why's that mate?"

"I don't know anybody that's lived to the age of ninety five."

Priceless.

He is DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let it fucking go or will will have fucking Mandela overload!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can take no more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, seeing as you were waving the Thatcher flag earlier this year when she carked it, my advice is to suck it in and take it, mate.

At least someone else is paying for the state funeral...

It might pay you to revisit those posts.

I wasnt waving the "Thatcher Flag" as you put it, I made it pretty clear that I didnt like her very much.

I just wasnt part of the crowd that was dancing on her grave . :rolleyes:.

Here's a game: Which columnist/journo from our beloved free press is going to present the contrary view?

Amidst all the fawning and complementary tributes, who out of them is prepared to drink journalistic hemlock (in the interests of balance, of course) and come out and say that they didn't like him or thought he was overrated or that he was a terrorist etc etc.

The temptation for click-bait must be so so great...

I'm sure there are Russell Group uni student newspaper columnists up and down the country penning their latest column "Why I don't care about Mandela dying and neither should you"

I do not think that normal programming would be affected for anyone but a world statesman or a member of the royal family.

Pretty sure there would be interruptions if McCartney went. Possibly even Dylan

Rod Liddle wins the prize. It would be that cunt...

Someone was arrested in the UK for allegedly making jokes online about Mandela's demise. He claims the jokes were free of hate speech. Before we recruit him to DL though, it seems he is a bit of a far right loon... Probably more to this story than meets the eye. http://www.dailymail...tter-jokes.html

Here's a game: Which columnist/journo from our beloved free press is going to present the contrary view?

Amidst all the fawning and complementary tributes, who out of them is prepared to drink journalistic hemlock (in the interests of balance, of course) and come out and say that they didn't like him or thought he was overrated or that he was a terrorist etc etc.

I'm sure there are Russell Group uni student newspaper columnists up and down the country penning their latest column "Why I don't care about Mandela dying and neither should you"

I do not think that normal programming would be affected for anyone but a world statesman or a member of the royal family.

Thinking about this further, what about if someone notorious like Ronnie Biggs died? Do you think there would be interruptions for the likes of him?

If only there were more important news items that could interrupt 'Mrs Brown's Boys', Davey, if only there were more...

• Like 3

Two of the older guys at work were talking about the sad news the other day;

"Gee Cyril, all that jail food must have agreed with him."

"Why's that mate?"

"I don't know anybody that's lived to the age of ninety five."

Priceless.

Those amphetamines MGM was feeding its child stars in the 1930s must have agreed with Mickey Rooney...

Seems like the sign language interpreter at the memorial service was a fake!

I must admit, he did seem a bit odd to me at the time. His movements seemed far too stylised for an interpreter and they wouldn't normally be that close to whoever is speaking...

• Like 2

Class :) , despite what the article said, the ANC have used him before..

Thinking about this further, what about if someone notorious like Ronnie Biggs died? Do you think there would be interruptions for the likes of him?

Well, did they? :D

Friend of mine at the BBC reckons life support equipment would be turned off today.

Well thank god for that to be fair the BBC has been on its last legs for a long time .

I was just flicking through this thread because I remembered how full of hilarious posts it was. And that one has to be the best. Great work.

If you need a laugh try looking through the thread (especially back in the summer when it first looked like he was about to croak).

• Like 1

Famous quotations

"Defeat is OK"

Nelson Mandela's Chiropodist.

• Like 1

Spoke to what one might call an 'unrepentant Afrikaner' yesterday who reckons Mandela died in July/August and has been kept on ice until the infrastructure could be put in place for the funeral and after-match function.

Anyone else heard anything similar?

Does seem to be a whiff of truth about that...

Canadian ice hockey player Jonathan Bernier showed up at an event honouring Nelson Mandela....... and turns out he was a little confused as to who he was.

http://www.cbc.ca/sp...kills-1.2865790

Latest:

"I think he has had a restful night, the doctors are comfortable about it, they are continuing monitoring," Mac Maharaj, Zuma's spokesman and a former fellow prisoner with Mr Mandela, said."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-12-10/zuma-visits-mandela-in-hospital/4417650

Mac Maharaj is suffering from lung cancer. When he was in prison he transcribed Mandela's autobiography, The Long Walk To Freedom, and smuggled it out to publishers in 1976. I reckon that might be enough by itself to get him a UK obit.

• Like 1