Our Sole

Nelson Mandela

Nelson Mandela is supposed to be giving a speech at next months Commonwealth Games.

But it is not known if he will be able to make it, as he is reported to be too frail to travel.

If he can't make the speech live then he must indeed be in a pretty bad way.

Nelson Mandela is supposed to be giving a speech at next months Commonwealth Games.

But it is not known if he will be able to make it, as he is reported to be too frail to travel.

A couple years ago, he participated in a lecture series at Johns Hopkins via videoconference because he was too frail to travel. As much as I'd like to see this news as another possible notch on the Deathlist bedpost, I can't get excited...now if he falls and breaks a hip or needs an angioplasty or something like that, I'll start watching.

Hopefully your theory will be correct for Pinter as well...

..now if he falls and breaks a hip or needs an angioplasty or something like that, I'll start watching.

I wouldn't hold out too much hope. He's going to the equivalent of the Queen Mother, complete skeletal replacement by metal.

Trust me once Old Liz has been underground for a bit of time and we have a big solar flair, she'll rise Terminator-like from the grave...

I can't help but be dubious of the medical facilities available in South Africa. As an old man, if he ever did have a medical emergency, it would probably be his last simply because of his location and relative remoteness from the world class medical facilities available to many similar high profile politicians. I think he's probably a good pick.

BTW...what was up with this thread last month? Everytime you entered it, it directed you to some kind of poll.

nelson and PW Botha are being to stuborn to die first; when one goes, i recon the other will happilly throw the towel in....... hopefully (for the DL of course)

He looked like a youthful Mohammed Ali yesterday.

Maybe Tony Blair knows something,hes hanging around!

Winnie heat the tyres up - Daddy coming home.

Only a small update - whilst reading The Times today it mentioned Mandela had taken voted in his local elections (28th Feb). It mentioned he was frail, but he was well enough to walk to the local booth & make a quick speech for the newspeople nearby.

Only a small update - whilst reading The Times today it mentioned Mandela had taken voted in his local elections (28th Feb). It mentioned he was frail, but he was well enough to walk to the local booth & make a quick speech for the newspeople nearby.

I'd take it as a good sign (for him anyhow). Unless the person is above and beyond obviously healthy, newspapers tend to refer to all people over 85 as "frail" I've found. Sensationalism and all that.

I'd take it as a good sign (for him anyhow). Unless the person is above and beyond obviously healthy, newspapers tend to refer to all people over 85 as "frail" I've found. Sensationalism and all that.

Point of order, many people continue to vote long after dying. They also have a shocking tendency to vote Republican.

• Like 1

Guest iain

Nelson Mandela has made his final public appearance

Extremely sad if it's true. I remember when I was just a young boy and he made an appearence at the Toronto Skydome to all the children in the area. That link is a pay link though, and I can't seem to find another one on google to be able to read the whole story...

I would not pin my hopes on that. On Oct 16, 2004, comedian Norman Wisdom anounced that he was making his final public appearance. He is still alive, more than 18 months later. ;)

Guest Guest

I'm sure he will make it to 92 at least

We still have a mandela building on campus. I do hope it stays that way when he kicks it. Don't think it'll be this yeah though, i'd put a bet on 2008.

Iain,

you need to pay attention to one of the words in the first paragraph before you jump to too many conclusions.

I'll put the word in bold to help you

Nelson Mandela made what he suggested might be his final public appearance

Iain,

you need to pay attention to one of the words in the first paragraph before you jump to too many conclusions.

Iain,

does 'might be his last public appearance' mean 'one foot in the grave and the other on a wet banana peel'? He's frail and there has been mention that Nelly Man has unspecified health problems, but he's not a deathlist gimme just yet.

Guest iain

Iain,

Iain,

does 'might be his last public appearance' mean 'one foot in the grave and the other on a wet banana peel'? He's frail and there has been mention that Nelly Man has unspecified health problems, but he's not a deathlist gimme just yet.

nevertheless I was stunned when I read that he might not be making any more public appearances.I knew he was frail,but I didnt think he was THAT frail.Just sounded to me like he was predicting his own imminent demise

Guest Guest

Not many 88 year olds make regular public appearances or could be described as not frail. He actully doesn't look much worse than he did one or two years ago. No major health problems and good medical care, I'd say he'll be around for a while. BTW the link from the front page to this thread is wrong, goes to soemthing about capital punishment.

Aye fair point Mr - ermmm - Guest.

I can't think of one robust 88+ year old who does make public appearances. Unless you count Norman Wisdom on telly.

I can't think of one robust 88+ year old who does make public appearances. Unless you count Norman Wisdom on telly.

Gerald Ford recentely made a public appearance, although admittedly I couldn't refer to him as "robust."

Bob Hope and George Burns both made appearences into their 90s if I'm not mistaken though. Still I agree with Guest in principle... I think NM will be around for a bit yet... least I hope so anyhow.

Ronald Neame, Max Robertson, Luise Rainer, Henry Allingham (robust for his age), Eli Wallach, Kevin McCarthy, Anna Wing, Art Linkletter all defy their age, to name just a few....

Guest Guest

Mandela is in poor health these days.

I retract my earlier point, Les Paul gigged at the age of 90.

How could we forget?