football_fan

Ideas and possibilities for 2007

OK

By 'old soldiers' I meant the likes of the oldest survivors from WW1, who had their own thread last year, and which you could probably find using the marvellous DL search facility. Most of the oldest ones, over 107 probably by now, are what you describe as 'doddering old army privates', so, yes, we were singing from the same hymn sheet. Someone like Stormin Norman, to give a more recent example than Douglas Bader, would probably be eligible.

I would imagine that there is no clause in the unwritten DL rules to bar the military, or any other profession, but hey, what would I know?

Well when I describe them as "doddering old privates" I wouldn't discredit their involvement at all. I think they should have a major instrumental role, eg a Field Marshall / Colonol ... Squadron Leader... that sort of thing.

But thanks for clearing up the initial disupute. I totally agree that longevity doesn't qualify someone for the DL

I think Max Robertson, who is 91 later this year, is still alive? He was one of the most famous faces in the 1950's, being one of the early presenters on the BBC ie Panorama (when everyone watched it & also commentated on Wimbledon, Coronation etc.

If he is still living, he's a reasonable suggestion but I'm not sure on his current status.

A few old international footballers worthy of mention too (all of whom would get obits somewhere):

Ron Suart, 85

Eddie Baily, 81

Ivor Broadis, 84

Lawrie Reilly, 78

Tommy Docherty, 78

How about Anna Wing? if she lasts out the year, she'll be 92

Anna Wing seems disgustly healthy. She has a toyboy boyfriend & last time I saw her (early last year) she had all the bon vivuer & bounce of a 60 year old.

I can see her going on for ages yet - if Ethel got to 94, Lou can get to 100.

You'll see, she'll drop tomorrow just to prove me wrong.

Cerberus,

Thanks for that. I think I might have been away from the UK for too long.

I might push him further down my list for next year.

How about Denis Healy? he's fast approaching 90

Octopus

Anna Wing had better make it to the end of this year, otherwise I'd kick myself.

I dropped Thora Hird from my list a couple of years ago, and just to spite me, she took the great stairlift to the sky

ok I've thought of another possibility for next year..

Jerry Maren

One of the Lollipop Guild from Wizard of Oz

I saw him just over a year ago at the Minnesota State Fair and he looked a bit unsteady

ok I've thought of another possibility for next year..

Jerry Maren

One of the Lollipop Guild from Wizard of Oz

I saw him just over a year ago at the Minnesota State Fair and he looked a bit unsteady

A leetle beet obscure, non?

He was the star guest at the State Fair.

Hardly a major celebrity, I know :dead:

ermmm David Kelly who played O'Reilly (Fawlty Towers) and Albert Riddle (Robin's Nest) :dead:

Saw Russell Grant on some celeb thing briefly. He didn't look too well could be an outside bet.

Saw Russell Grant on some celeb thing briefly. He didn't look too well could be an outside bet.

Yes, "Celebrity" Fit Club. According to the doctor, with his weight (21st) & age, he should've died years ago.

Eamon Holmes had the habit of referring to the show as Celebrity Fat Club :dead:

Apparently it was originally called Celebrity Fat Club but all the "celebrities" complained so they changed it to Fit instead.........

How many series of CFC are they upto in the UK now? They've done 3 series in quick succession over here in the US. I don't know about 90% of the "Celebrities" they put on them

How many series of CFC are they upto in the UK now? They've done 3 series in quick succession over here in the US. I don't know about 90% of the "Celebrities" they put on them

Same here. I watch it for fun! I think it's about the 5th or 6th series now.

I wish they'd do "Drop the Celebrity" over here. I thought it was a great idea to get Z-list celebs to justify their celebrity status and if the 100 members of the public on the ground weren't convinced, then the nominated celeb would have to parachute out of the aircraft

I heard one episode ended in tragedy, when Bobby Davro parachuted the 10,000ft to the ground and landed safely

someone mentioned Reg Varney on one of the other threads. On the same note, how about Stephen "I'll get you Butler" Lewis?

someone mentioned Reg Varney on one of the other threads. On the same note, how about Stephen "I'll get you Butler" Lewis?

Still alive and kicking and in the 'Last of the summer wine' at the mo. Doesn't look all that unhealthy.

It's possible though. Bill Owen was very much a regular on Last of the Summer Wine right up until his passing. Bearing in mind, Stephen Lewis is nearing 90

It's possible though. Bill Owen was very much a regular on Last of the Summer Wine right up until his passing. Bearing in mind, Stephen Lewis is nearing 90

He'll be 70 this year according to this

born in 1936

weird, I did a quick google on him earlier and one site listed him as being 90 this year, but I'll well believe his isn't that old. I stand well corrected :rip:

ok another suggestion for 2007...

Charlie Harper lead vocalist for the UK Subs, he's already had a couple of heart-attacks so maybe next year he might be heading for that great gig in the sky

ok another suggestion for 2007...

Charlie Harper lead vocalist for the UK Subs, he's already had a couple of heart-attacks so maybe next year he might be heading for that great gig in the sky

I have no idea to whom you are referring.

Excellent work.

Lloyd Ruby, 78, who is a legend of US open-wheel motorsport, especially the Indy 500, is sadly in very poor health at present, with cancer, I believe. Whether he would get an obituary in the UK is debatable, but it's one for consideration. :D