football_fan

Ideas and possibilities for 2007

Michael Mayne, big player in religious affairs at the BBC and emeritus summat or other in religious stuff at Westminster has published what is probably his last book. He recovered from ME and got terminal cancer. TBH he'd be a shoe in for next year but lacks a Wiki page and may lose out on a major paper obit. I just hope he sticks his opinion into the furore created by the pope this week, a bit of profile raising on his part now would help us around here later.

As a former Dean of Westminster Abbey, I think that Michael Mayne will most likely get a broadsheet obituary.

An excellent spot of yours mpfc, he's on my DDP shortlist for next year.

I just hope he can hang on until '07.

Michael Mayne, big player in religious affairs at the BBC and emeritus summat or other in religious stuff at Westminster has published what is probably his last book. He recovered from ME and got terminal cancer. TBH he'd be a shoe in for next year but lacks a Wiki page and may lose out on a major paper obit. I just hope he sticks his opinion into the furore created by the pope this week, a bit of profile raising on his part now would help us around here later.

Excellent spot MPFC. Do you have an age or dob for Michael Mayne? It is not listed anywhere.

Excellent spot MPFC. Do you have an age or dob for Michael Mayne? It is not listed anywhere.

Took a bit of Googling, but I found out he was born in 1929.

http://www.baylor.edu/Lariat/news.php?acti...amp;story=12477

I also fear that Dr.Spock will go...

Hello.

I've never watched an episode of Star Trek, but it irritates me to hear Mr Spock referred to as "Dr". Maybe it's confusion with Dr Benjamin Spock or something, but anyway, please could we have him referred to as "Mr"

Thank you.

And don't get me going about "Dr Fox", the deejay (although, happily, my complaints to the Beeb and those of others seem to have helped to get him largely "de-doctorated"...)

I also fear that Dr.Spock will go...

Hello.

I've never watched an episode of Star Trek, but it irritates me to hear Mr Spock referred to as "Dr". Maybe it's confusion with Dr Benjamin Spock or something, but anyway, please could we have him referred to as "Mr"

Thank you.

And don't get me going about "Dr Fox", the deejay (although, happily, my complaints to the Beeb and those of others seem to have helped to get him largely "de-doctorated"...)

Sure! LOL Doesn't bother me any! Not familiar with Dr. Fox...<shrugs> Star Trek~ I watched as a child, My Dad was a fan! The original, not all the sub-plots and shows that have sprung from it. Dr. Spock my Mom read when I was a child! All the family connections!

Thanks for the friendly welcome to the forum! I look forward to the year! :}

:birthday2:

drug OD for Courtney Love or Whitney Houston? ... mystery death for a Kennedy relation ... a child star to die too, an up and coming one... Haley Joel from The Sixth Sense or Dakota Fanning from the Hide and Seek from a car accident or another kind of 'freak' happening. ... time for Ed Macman to die, the side seat to Johnny Carson. ... Wilford Brimley... he can check out anytime as well ... Dr.Spock will go, Leonard N. from Star Trek. ... Is Carlos Montobon dead? If not, I'd say him too and the rest of the cast from Fantasy Island, the cast from Love Boat, the cast of Gilliagan's Island too. Unfortunately... :D

It's Mister Spock!

Is Carlos Montobon dead?

Did you mean Ricardo Montalban, PDM? Alive and, according to his Recent Happenings bit on Wiki, well enough to be pissed-off at his celebrity neighbour. His elder brother Carlos, however, died in 1991 at the same age Ricardo is currently. :birthday:

That's a pretty wild cocktail of celebrity mortality you envisage. There'd be wild-card points being scored all over the world if some of your crazy hits come off. I love it! Best of luck, and welcome to the forums, PDM.

Would Kathryn Blair be famous enough to qualify?

She's tried to top herself once, so why not?

ermmmm I'll bite. who is she?

Would Kathryn Blair be famous enough to qualify?

She's tried to top herself once, so why not?

ermmmm I'll bite. who is she?

Tony Blair's daughter. She took an overdose when she was 16 in 2004, but it was kept hushed-up.

There's a link to the Kathryn Blair suicide bid on the Tony Blair thread.

The attempted suicide was reported to have occurred in May 2004, but there seems to have been a news blackout on that story, thus no link in the main and reliable news sources. I was able to find a link here.

The attempted suicide was reported to have occurred in May 2004, but there seems to have been a news blackout on that story, thus no link in the main and reliable news sources. I was able to find a link here.

The rumour goes, which I couldn't possibly confirm or deny, that D-notices were issued to gag the press - they are meant to be used to stop items that would endanger national security being made public.

If I remember rightly, to breach them would land the editor/publisher in court on a charge of treason, with the possible punishment of life in prison...

Only what I've read on the internet, though, not from what I've heard in a professional capacity.

The rumour goes, which I couldn't possibly confirm or deny, that D-notices were issued to gag the press - they are meant to be used to stop items that would endanger national security being made public.

If I remember rightly, to breach them would land the editor/publisher in court on a charge of treason, with the possible punishment of life in prison...

Only what I've read on the internet, though, not from what I've heard in a professional capacity.

Well, it's possible that she may attempt suicide again. But the question over her age is whether she'd be permitted as a selection for DL. I'm not sure if there's a minimum age limit on the selections made.

The deadpool I run we have a rule that they can't be under 18 as of January 1st each year.

Brigadier General Paul W. Tibbets pilot of the Enola Gay.

TF,

I met Paul Tibbets a couple of years ago at an airshow, he seemed in fine health at the time. Not sure if there's been much of a change since.

Brigadier General Paul W. Tibbets pilot of the Enola Gay.

I didn't think he was still alive, but guess i was wrong. Still on the aviation theme Spitfire test pilot Alex Henshaw is still with us.

As I remember, there were no gagging orders or the like (I work in a newsroom and we get these globalled on a daily basis by the lawyers) but it was simply decided that it wasn't a story to run with. An Italian publication similar to Pop Bitch mentioned the story at the time, though, and decided to rub things in by calling Kathryn fat, making "who ate all the cakes...?"-type comments etc. I expect it's still floating around the web somewhere. Actually, I just went to look for a picture of K, and stumbled across http://www.public-interest.co.uk/aseye/index.htm#Tony so there's a lot out there. (Has she lost weight? Didn't find a recent photo...)

At the same time, there were a few veiled references to the incident made by at least one politician. I can't remember the details, but something like "Mr Blair may be lacking in judgment at the moment, what with what's going on in his family life" but nobody picked up on it, which was surprising.

Isn't Kathryn off to study at Birmingham? I guess she'd be a better DL pick if she was headed for Scotland.

But maybe Cherie's singing could tip her over the edge...

"I would give you a reprise of that song were it not for the fact that my daughter Kathryn said that, if I ever sang it again, she would divorce me," she was quoted by The Telegraph, as saying.

Rumour correct, I asked a tabloid hack at the time. I has to wash after talking to him, obviously.

Re yer man and the Enola Gay:

As pilot of one of the most famous flights of WW II, which brought about a quicker surrender from the enemy and a reduction in the loss of Allied lives, and for his leadership and skill with both airplanes and people in times of stress, Paul W. Tibbets, Jr. is enshrined with honor into the National Aviation Hall of Fame

Boy, I'll bet the Japanese tourists love that little corner when they visit.

Rumour correct, I asked a tabloid hack at the time. I has to wash after talking to him, obviously.

I'll confirm that rumour as well. Deffo D-notice, though one or two vague hints (problems at home, going through bad time at mo) were made.

As I remember, there were no gagging orders or the like (I work in a newsroom and we get these globalled on a daily basis by the lawyers) but it was simply decided that it wasn't a story to run with. An Italian publication similar to Pop Bitch mentioned the story at the time, though, and decided to rub things in by calling Kathryn fat, making "who ate all the cakes...?"-type comments etc. I expect it's still floating around the web somewhere. Actually, I just went to look for a picture of K, and stumbled across http://www.public-interest.co.uk/aseye/index.htm#Tony so there's a lot out there. (Has she lost weight? Didn't find a recent photo...)

At the same time, there were a few veiled references to the incident made by at least one politician. I can't remember the details, but something like "Mr Blair may be lacking in judgment at the moment, what with what's going on in his family life" but nobody picked up on it, which was surprising.

Isn't Kathryn off to study at Birmingham? I guess she'd be a better DL pick if she was headed for Scotland.

But maybe Cherie's singing could tip her over the edge...

"I would give you a reprise of that song were it not for the fact that my daughter Kathryn said that, if I ever sang it again, she would divorce me," she was quoted by The Telegraph, as saying.

What about the other son, whathisname - we never hear of him. I'm not talking about Leo.

Now Euan is a real mediawhore, a veritable Justin Timberlake (and whom I do not trust in the slightest), but the 'other one' is never seen or heard....

Guest Guest

What about The Duke of Edinburgh he is 86 and a big tall guy ,gravity works its magic over all those years

??

Guest Still lurking
What about The Duke of Edinburgh he is 86 and a big tall guy ,gravity works its magic over all those years

??

He was in good shape the last time I met him a few months ago. They get looked after you know. Just watched that BBC programme on Nero. There was one very graphic line that compared the Roman public's reaction to Nero's decision to perform on stage to that of a modern day British public should "Queen Elizabeth II perform as a pole dancer". I nearly choked on the imagery. For God's sake, she's 80. Has the BBC no shame?

??

He was in good shape the last time I met him a few months ago. They get looked after you know. Just watched that BBC programme on Nero. There was one very graphic line that compared the Roman public's reaction to Nero's decision to perform on stage to that of a modern day British public should "Queen Elizabeth II perform as a pole dancer". I nearly choked on the imagery. For God's sake, she's 80. Has the BBC no shame?

I think most people's image of the Queen would be younger than she actually is so the image conjured would be of a younger pole-dancing Queen. I must admit it was a strange line...

Mind you a twentysomething Princess Margaret pole-dancing..... :bat: