football_fan

Ideas and possibilities for 2007

ok, this isn't really a proper suggestion about him being likely to die in 2007, but one might conclude the comedic career of Michael Richards, aka Kramer off Seinfeld, is pretty much teminal. However, were he to give an encore performance in, say, the streets of S. Central Los Angeles after dark, then he would become an excellent nominee.

It looks like the original clip is down from the tmz site, and I can't be bothered to log on to youtube, but I'm sure if anyone wants to see it you can find it. Here's a link in case no one knows what I'm talking about.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...ertainment/home

If he hadn't come out and apologised, he might have been lynched.

Guest Monoclinic

I just remembered Sir Jimmy. He must be in the Clive Dunn catagory. Maybe the long distance running negates the effect of those fat cubans...

I just remembered Sir Jimmy. He must be in the Clive Dunn catagory. Maybe the long distance running negates the effect of those fat cubans...

I assume you mean Sir Jimmy Saville? He has his own thread

With two respected Economists gone this year, this has left something of a vacuum

for next year's considerations.

So how about Nobel-winning Paul Samuelson, born in 1915...

I've tried to do some digging around about Samuelson, apart from comments about his nobel prize and that he's 91 I've not found any new article written by him or even anything mentioning his health status.

Possibly one to research in more detail and perhaps one to pencil in for 2008.

While looking up to see if I could actually win British honours, I stumbled across the wiki article for Jack Lyons. It's a bit strange. Too ill to be sent to prison, not too ill to attend swanky gatherings.

Not sure if I'd put him on my DDP, but I thought I'd share him.

While looking up to see if I could actually win British honours, I stumbled across the wiki article for Jack Lyons. It's a bit strange. Too ill to be sent to prison, not too ill to attend swanky gatherings.

Firmly in the Biggs/Pinochet category, I'd say. I'd take a share in a DDP entry for him, though.

regards,

Hein

I was actually at Sir Jack Lyons' 90th birthday concert with the London Symphony Orchestra on Sunday evening (I wasn't a guest, just there for the music I hasten to add), and he looks, sounds and moves anything but his age. I wouldn't rate him for a couple of years yet.

The former president of Zambia Frederick Chiluba is reported to be suffering from an acute cardiac condition. He is also facing corruption charges, which won't help his condition.

His wife was recently arrested on money laundering charges and the linked article states

"... Chiluba's wife was accompanied to the police by her lawyers and family members but the former president stayed home due to his deteriorating health."

:D:P:):):)

Damn, that's one of my secret candidates for DDP gone now. He's allegedly far iller than just an acute cardiac condition, which is pretty bad in itself.

Thankfully I still have 7 or 8 secret candidates that DDT has not discovered yet. :P

Things aren't looking too good for Fred, he's just been barred from leaving Zambia for South Africa to get treatment for his heart condition. His medicine has run out and he's distressed about his current predicament.

Things aren't looking too good for Fred, he's just been barred from leaving Zambia for South Africa to get treatment for his heart condition. His medicine has run out and he's distressed about his current predicament.

sh*t happens, Freddy boy.

From the article:-

"Therefore Dr. Chiluba does not understand why government is playing Russian roulette with his life,”

Looks like they're following a precedent set by Chiluba himself towards his people when he was in power. :D

Anton Balasingham, the London based chief negotiator for the Tamil Tigers, is about as ill as you can possibly get. He has been diagnosed with bile duct cancer, the disease is in an advanced stage and has spread to his liver, lungs, abdomen and bones :D . According to Wiki he also suffers from diabetes, Motor Neurone Disease and possibly medicine-induced Parkinson's disease. And he has had a kidney transplant. Apart from that he's doing fine.

Chances of a UK obit? Well, he has been mentioned many times before on the BBC.

DevonDeathTrip Posted Today, 06:45 PM

Anton Balasingham, the London based chief negotiator for the Tamil Tigers, is about as ill as you can possibly get. He has been diagnosed with bile duct cancer, the disease is in an advanced stage and has spread to his liver, lungs, abdomen and bones . According to Wiki he also suffers from diabetes, Motor Neurone Disease and possibly medicine-induced Parkinson's disease. And he has had a kidney transplant. Apart from that he's doing fine.

Chances of a UK obit? Well, he has been mentioned many times before on the BBC.

Hay good spot DevonDeathTrip.

Looking for his age - but his points for the illnesses alone stack up to 226.

Only problem being the chap has so many things wrong with him it would be a suprise if he makes it into 2007. My best guess would be an exit in under 3 weeks. At a streach its even a tight call to list him without him dieing in the final hours of 2006.

How about 92 year old Nancy Wake (The White Mouse) she is a truly remarkable woman. She was the allies most decorated service woman WWII.

She's now 94, but seems to be doing okay now after a bout of ill-health in her early 90's. She met up with Prince Philip at Buck Palace earlier this month and appears to be alert, have her wits about her & in good health & spirits right now.

On the other hand, she has had heart-troubles, is in a wheelchair & a rest home, and is 94 after all.

But with the DDP possibly bringing in a 90+ penalty rule, it's one I'm probably dropping, but I thought I'd mention just in case, because Sir Edward Ford was doing just grand until he died recently....... B)

With the over 90s rule coming in, I'm wondering if I should drop Patriarch Maxim from my list.

patr-maxim.jpg

I haven't heard anything about bad health on his part. I think with the new over 90 rule coming in, if there's not some fairly obvious reason why someone that old should be included (ie. cancer, extreme frailty etc.), the best bet is probably to leave them off.

Tommy Makem, legendary Irish folk musician who played with the Clancy Brothers has inoperable lung cancer. He is fairly upbeat about it:

"Cancer is not a death sentence anymore"

It may not be a death sentence, but if your doctor has told you that the tumour on your lung is inoperable, that does seems like a prognostication of fairly imminent expiration.

Definately famous enough, personally I think he'd be a good addition to DL 2007.

Tommy Makem, legendary Irish folk musician who played with the Clancy Brothers has inoperable lung cancer. He is fairly upbeat about it:

It may not be a death sentence, but if your doctor has told you that the tumour on your lung is inoperable, that does seems like a prognostication of fairly imminent expiration.

Definately famous enough, personally I think he'd be a good addition to DL 2007.

Ah, but later in that article, he claims he has been healed by God.

We shall see.

I have doubts over his fame, but I guess he'll get something in the broadsheets if nothing else.

Ah, but later in that article, he claims he has been healed by God.

We shall see.

I have doubts over his fame, but I guess he'll get something in the broadsheets if nothing else.

I had no idea Tommy Makem was still alive, I thought he'd left us a few years ago.

I've got a copy of him singing "Whiskey, you're the devil" with The Clancey Brothers.

Silvio Berlusconi collapses during rally

Former Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi has been taken ill during a speech to supporters in northern Italy.

Mr Berlusconi, 70, slumped at the podium while delivering a speech at a centre-right rally in Tuscany and collapsed into the arms of his aides.

Although the next paragraph states that he's on the mend and that he was just overcome with heat.

I'd have to look at the weather reports to see how hot it is in Italy during November

Silvio Berlusconi collapses during rally

Former Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi has been taken ill during a speech to supporters in northern Italy.

Mr Berlusconi, 70, slumped at the podium while delivering a speech at a centre-right rally in Tuscany and collapsed into the arms of his aides.

Although the next paragraph states that he's on the mend and that he was just overcome with heat.

I'd have to look at the weather reports to see how hot it is in Italy during November

The article doesn't mention it, but I suppose it was an indoor rally, so the heat doesn't necessarily correlate with the weather.

Anyway, good news. It doesn't look like he's doing a Pinochet.

regards,

Hein

I think with the new over 90 rule coming in, if there's not some fairly obvious reason why someone that old should be included (ie. cancer, extreme frailty etc.), the best bet is probably to leave them off.

Following RK's announcement (that 85% back the new rules) then, the following are probably now not worth a go:

Peter Copley, still acting at 91, Rev. Chad Varah still going to services weekly, David Renton, Lord Renton, who is still going to the Lords & driving at 98 yrs of age, as well as:-

AI Bezzerides , screenwriter, b. 1908, and still sprightly & active, Rita Levi Montelcini , Nobel Prize winning scientist who is still going to debates at 97, Francisco Varallo , who still goes to football games, even though he's now 96, Kevin McCarthy , actor, who's still going to fan meets at 92 years of age and I M Pei , 90 next year, who is still designing buildings.

Just trying to help clear the clutter. <_<

Following RK's announcement (that 85% back the new rules) then, the following are probably now not worth a go:

Peter Copley, still acting at 91, Rev. Chad Varah still going to services weekly, David Renton, Lord Renton, who is still going to the Lords & driving at 98 yrs of age, as well as:-

AI Bezzerides , screenwriter, b. 1908, and still sprightly & active, Rita Levi Montelcini , Nobel Prize winning scientist who is still going to debates at 97, Francisco Varallo , who still goes to football games, even though he's now 96, Kevin McCarthy , actor, who's still going to fan meets at 92 years of age and I M Pei , 90 next year, who is still designing buildings.

Just trying to help clear the clutter. <_<

Hmmm... good to know, not that I had any of those people on my list, but nice to know that I have a reason to resist the temptation.

Still, I bet at least one of the above will be dead by the end of next year. Guessing which one is like pulling a name out of a hat though.

Hmmm... good to know, not that I had any of those people on my list, but nice to know that I have a reason to resist the temptation.

Still, I bet at least one of the above will be dead by the end of next year. Guessing which one is like pulling a name out of a hat though.

Oh, without a doubt.

Precisely the reason I've left Richard Widmark off the list. I mean he shouldn't die in the next 13 months as there's not much wrong with him bar a bit of old age ailments & fraility. But until the new rules were suggested, I thought "Hmmm.. might do a Palance, I'll bung him in." Now, the 3 points don't make it worthwhile unless they're really odds on to die. (ie over 90 and ill - Shamir etc.)

Likewise, Gloria Stuart, my arch-nemesis. I am now certain she will die next year as I've, for the first time, EVER removed her from a DDP entry.

Lady Bird Johnson, Michael Foot, Phil Taylor, Mark Felt & Michelangelo Antonioni have likewise met OOO's cutting room floor.

In... (well, I'm not revealing all) Barzan Al-Tikriti, Allen Carr, Geroge Melly & Ariel Sharon for sure, should they see out this year. Oh.. Tammy Faye too, though I still protest she's not famous enough. :)

Oh, without a doubt.

Precisely the reason I've left Richard Widmark off the list. I mean he shouldn't die in the next 13 months as there's not much wrong with him bar a bit of old age ailments & fraility. But until the new rules were suggested, I thought "Hmmm.. might do a Palance, I'll bung him in." Now, the 3 points don't make it worthwhile unless they're really odds on to die. (ie over 90 and ill - Shamir etc.)

Likewise, Gloria Stuart, my arch-nemesis. I am now certain she will die next year as I've, for the first time, EVER removed her from a DDP entry.

Lady Bird Johnson, Michael Foot, Phil Taylor, Mark Felt & Michelangelo Antonioni have likewise met OOO's cutting room floor.

In... (well, I'm not revealing all) Barzan Al-Tikriti, Allen Carr, Geroge Melly & Ariel Sharon for sure, should they see out this year. Oh.. Tammy Faye too, though I still protest she's not famous enough. :)

My big question is whether or not to include Gerry Ford for the first time ever... he's got so many damn ups and downs it's difficult to tell.

My big question is whether or not to include Gerry Ford for the first time ever... he's got so many damn ups and downs it's difficult to tell.

Same here... at the moment I'm veering on yes, but it all depends on other's conditions worsening. If it looks like a person (especially one that might be a unique hit) in their 70's or 80's looks particulary :) doomed, then I'll go for the 5/6 points (or whatever) than 3.

Basically, I'm trying to fit 36 into 9 spots right now - I have 11 filled should they make it to 2007. Confirmation of the new rules will probably remove three more, but who to keep and who to drop of the other 33 or so is most puzzling...

ie...

Are Pavarotti, Forsythe, Fawcett, Pleshette, Magnusson cured/will be cured or not?

Is Pinter near death or going to hang on for some years?

Should I include Maurice Papon, Sargent Shriver and Yitzhak Shamir, all in their 90's??

and do my mystery picks prove worth putting in - they may well be a unique pick, but will they die???

Decisions.. Decisions.....

Remember boys and girls, it's still a list of 20, so there's room for the odd

old fogey here and there as long as you choose them carefully.

Easier said than done of course... :)

I think this might affect the scope of the list of candidates: we'll all be bunging in

remotely ill under 80s, whereas part of the charm of the DDP was the often obscure names

that crop up, ususally quite old.

I'm now going to delve into OOO's list of possibilities for 07 and come up with a modified DDP list... :)

600!