Sign in to follow this  
DevonDeathTrip

Robert Altman

Robert Altman, aged 81, revealed at the Oscars on Sunday night that he'd had a heart transplant 10 years ago.

Is his lifetime achievment a sign of his impending demise?

Robert Altman, aged 81, revealed at the Oscars on Sunday night that he'd had a heart transplant 10 years ago.

Mmmm.. I don't know. He looks okay & he's active but...

What I did though was check how long people lived after winning a lifetime achievement Academy Award:

A long time: (over 15 years)

Sophia Loren & Walter Lantz 15 years

Cary Grant 16 years

Harold Lloyd 18 years

Yakima Canutt 19 years

Paul Newman & Alec Guinness 20 years

Lillian Gish & Mack Sennett 22 years

Mickey Rooney 23 years

Margaret Booth 24 years

Adolph Zukor 27 years

Greta Garbo 35 years

Bob Hope 50 years

Not that long (under 3 years)

Satyajit Ray - 1 month

Federico Fellini - 6 months

Henry Fonda, Sid Grauman & Lee De Forest - 1 year

Myrna Loy & Howard Hawks - 2 years

Posthumous Awards

Edward G. Robinson, Gary Cooper, Douglas Fairbanks

Honorary Winners still alive

Poitier, Redford, O'Toole, Edwards, Lumet, Altman Wadja, Cardiff, Kidd, Donen, Douglas, Antonioli, Loren, Newman, Rooney

Average

About 7-12 years after an award.

Mmmm.. I don't know. He looks okay & he's active but...

What I did though was check how long people lived after winning a lifetime achievement Academy Award:

A long time: (over 15 years)

Sophia Loren & Walter Lantz 15 years

Cary Grant 16 years

Harold Lloyd 18 years

Yakima Canutt 19 years

Paul Newman & Alec Guinness 20 years

Lillian Gish & Mack Sennett 22 years

Mickey Rooney 23 years

Margaret Booth 24 years

Adolph Zukor 27 years

Greta Garbo 35 years

Bob Hope 50 years

Not that long (under 3 years)

Satyajit Ray - 1 month

Federico Fellini - 6 months

Henry Fonda, Sid Grauman & Lee De Forest - 1 year

Myrna Loy & Howard Hawks - 2 years

Posthumous Awards

Edward G. Robinson, Gary Cooper, Douglas Fairbanks

Honorary Winners still alive

Poitier, Redford, O'Toole, Edwards, Lumet, Altman Wadja, Cardiff, Kidd, Donen, Douglas, Antonioli, Loren, Newman, Rooney

Average

About 7-12 years after an award.

Excellent work sir, very good research. One more stat - average length of survival after heart transplant; 9.1 years.

I still never saw the film version rto of the Movie Nashville. better see it before e dies/ or I;ll feel even worse,

That's amazing research OoO. I hope though that you didn't calculate all that yourself, it'd be an awful lot of work...

If you did though, I applaud you.

Yeah, I did. Took about an hour - lucky I wasn't busy this morning. :)

Found a list online of Honorary (or Lifetime) Academy Awards & worked the rest out through their biographies.

surely at the age of 81 and given that the average survival time after a heart transplant is 9.1 years and he had his transplant about 10 years ago. Wouldn't that start to signify his time is almost up?

Guest iain

you could well be right...

...............or even dryly wrong.

The one director who'd do justice to a story of an aging rebel getting a lifetime achievement award and living out his last days by working is Robert Altman.

Robert Altman has died. I don't have a link as yet as it's just appeared on the news crawler on CNN

Edited by Magere Hein

I didn't realise there was a seperate thread for Mr Altman, but CNN have just announced that he has just died

Bloody hell ... you guys are quick off the mark.

BBC link

BBC link

I was just reading the CNN site when it came up in the "breaking news" banner right at the top. You could barely miss it :ghost:

BBC link

I was just reading the CNN site when it came up in the "breaking news" banner right at the top. You could barely miss it :ghost:

Then you sprinted to DL to post it!

BBC link

I was just reading the CNN site when it came up in the "breaking news" banner right at the top. You could barely miss it :P

Then you sprinted to DL to post it!

well the thought did cross my mind :D

I only just saw M*A*S*H last year, was never really in the right frame of mind to watch it. But loads of people kept telling me that I should take the time to watch it. It was ok, not one that I'd watch again for a few years.

normal_3.jpg

You know, I was a little bit surprised by this initially, but looking at a recent picture of him (the randy old coot) and at the Oscar ceremony, he certainly seems to have gone downhill quite a lot in a short time.

Shame. :D

lindsay_lohan_robert_altman.jpg

You know, I was a little bit surprised by this initially, but looking at a recent picture of him (the randy old coot) and at the Oscar ceremony, he certainly seems to have gone downhill quite a lot in a short time.

errmmmm sweatpantserection.com ?

I think someone didn't like you using the photo from their website :P

Guest Guest

Does this mean that each time we quote him we use a little tincy wincy bit more of the precious bandwidth? Thus explaining my meaningless reply, I like to infuriate those who infuriate others by their whimsical actions. Come on, I doubt he actually personally took the photo. I could be wrong...

Does this mean that each time we quote him we use a little tincy wincy bit more of the precious bandwidth? Thus explaining my meaningless reply, I like to infuriate those who infuriate others by their whimsical actions. Come on, I doubt he actually personally took the photo. I could be wrong...

Of course he didn't take the photo himself. He's obviously stolen it from another site.

Of course he didn't take the photo himself. He's obviously stolen it from another site.

Who me? Or www.sweatpantserection.com?

It's an AP photo, according to the information I have. Just so happened the above site had a handy picture of said now dead director in wheelchair.

Type "robert altman" & "lohan" into Google images and you should get the same thing come up.

Who me? Or www.sweatpantserection.com?

It's an AP photo, according to the information I have. Just so happened the above site had a handy picture of said now dead director in wheelchair.

The owner of sweatpantserection.com was the one I was referring to.

Not sure why they were so particular about you linking to their website. You'd have thought they would be grateful for the free advertising

Ah, I see what's happened now. I couldn't understand until I saw the anal message from sweatpants.

Anyway, same photo located & posted & re-edited. Lets see if this one stays up :D