Sign in to follow this  
Guest iain

Failure Of The Death List?

Dana Reeve should have been on this years list since it was practically an absolute fact

that she was going to die. I can't be positive but I remember Tempus Fugit claiming

that her health had improved which apparently seemed far from true.

Especialy at this point in time. Even though the DL selected number 2 with good spirits

there were plenty of other celebritys that were more suitable. :)

By the way, Fleasonadog - those are some good picks there. I have no doubts Jackie

will be on a future list as Boris Yeltzin will soon make his return.

Dana Reeve should have been on this years list since it was practically an absolute fact

that she was going to die. I can't be positive but I remember Tempus Fugit claiming

Yes, but we also had a big argument about her fame. Personally I'm undecided, but I can understand how people want to support the inclusion of less... prospects of uncertain fame...

Yes, but we also had a big argument about her fame. Personally I'm undecided, but I can understand how people want to support the inclusion of less... prospects of uncertain fame...

I've spoken about her fame and so did.. CNN-entrance.jpg

Simply bad judgement but what is done is done.

Usually I'm right in there with a 'calm down' post when others get uppity about the continued breathing of the names in our top fifty. Despite being the voice of F*****g reason I'll admit to a certain frustration this year. I can see the sense in picking on the old and infirm but I think Dana Reeve and Jack Wild both amount to missed sitters. The only reason the Wild man had such a big chunk taken out of the inside of his neck was a desperate attempt to preserve life. Dana Reeve strikes me as a more interesting case. In the internet age and all the rest surely she's famous enough. Fame rests less and less on long term achievement and high profile in the traditional areas of achievement, in my opinion anyway.

Other than that mind, there's some well ripened fruit just itchin' to fall off the tree amongst our top fifty and several of the picks will come good.

Usually I'm right in there with a 'calm down' post when others get uppity about the continued breathing of the names in our top fifty. Despite being the voice of F*****g reason I'll admit to a certain frustration this year. I can see the sense in picking on the old and infirm but I think Dana Reeve and Jack Wild both amount to missed sitters. The only reason the Wild man had such a big chunk taken out of the inside of his neck was a desperate attempt to preserve life. Dana Reeve strikes me as a more interesting case. In the internet age and all the rest surely she's famous enough. Fame rests less and less on long term achievement and high profile in the traditional areas of achievement, in my opinion anyway.

Other than that mind, there's some well ripened fruit just itchin' to fall off the tree amongst our top fifty and several of the picks will come good.

Don't get me wrong, I think there's a few good ones that were misssed. But let's admit it, if Christopher Reeves hadn't gotten in his accident, no one would be arguing that Dana Reeves was famous enough for DL - she rode in on his coattails. Still, you are right, and there's no bother playing around with ifs and buts...

Don't get me wrong, I think there's a few good ones that were misssed. But let's admit it, if Christopher Reeves hadn't gotten in his accident, no one would be arguing that Dana Reeves was famous enough for DL - she rode in on his coattails. Still, you are right, and there's no bother playing around with ifs and buts...

Right enough about his accident, without which she'd be a jobbing actress and singer but I still reckon her campaigning made her enough of a name around the world in her own right. To be honest, it's a bit sexist and disrespectful to give all the credit in profile raising to someone who didn't really exist below the neck.

Apart from anything else if he'd turned up to campaign for money with green teeth and rough stubble he'd have been less successful, that was down to her as was making speeches, co-ordinating things etc etc. I'd suggest she ranked up there with the likes of John Profumo. Even the tributes this morning were honest enough to admit he was something of a lightweight who got caught up with the wrong people.

The real failure of DeathList is the fact this site keeps going down, and is often running very,very slowly.

Bloody Annoying it is.

Reallly? I have yet to see the site truely (truly) go down. There have been merely maybe or perhaps even perchance 4, no maybe 6 or even an obstusive(?????) 7 times wihtin the time since first when I yet arrived at this site in January of '05 in which this site was inaccessible. In those cases it was mainly due to other factors and in some times of those times even when those times were not the times of which the New York Herald Tribune had predicted, I occasionally may have even been unable to access most any other sites which I have not here within cited looking to take a gander (a sight) of.

So stop whinnying and whining Tempy...................and look aty your total post count............does that not indicate to you that why even in the most dreadfully slow moments of which you speak that indeedly do you were able (quite) to access this site many many (MANY) times with alarming adroitness, ability and aye, even alacrity?

I know you have a set goal of 5 thousand posts by the time of your one year anniversary here; but panic not for there still is great hope......and time for that to happpenate.

I was thinking of entering a team for the DDP next year called "Plane Crash Premonition" and pick the Chelsea first team, subs, manager and Roman Abramovich. If, on the off chance, their plane fell out of the sky, I'd be a dead cert winner, with all those unique picks and under 50s.

Rude Kid, would this be allowed?

I was thinking of entering a team for the DDP next year called "Plane Crash Premonition" and pick the Chelsea first team, subs, manager and Roman Abramovich. If, on the off chance, their plane fell out of the sky, I'd be a dead cert winner, with all those unique picks and under 50s.

If it is allowed, I'm off to Ebay to look for surface to air missile launchers :)

If it is allowed, I'm off to Ebay to look for surface to air missile launchers :crossbone:

IT's sad (so sad) when they start quoting theirself. (themself)

If it is allowed, I'm off to Ebay to look for surface to air missile launchers :crossbone:

IT's sad (so sad) when they start quoting theirself. (themself)

It was just an afterthought, Mr B (Bruno) - maybe I should have edited it instead, I (me) share your (you) sadness. Best fix yourself a brandy :rolleyes:

The best thing the various hindsight-endowed experts could do to help the success of the DL is, towards the end of December each year, send in a message with candidates they think are likely to die, along with a reason why. Looking back there were indeed some good suggestions mentioned throughout the year who did indeed die either in 2005 or '06.

Might I remind all the whingers who bemoaned us not picking Ariel Sharon that he's not dead yet, and that one year the DL team won the Derby Dead Pool, and we're doing ok this season, so we can't be that bad.

Might I remind all the whingers who bemoaned us not picking Ariel Sharon that he's not dead yet, and that one year the DL team won the Derby Dead Pool, and we're doing ok this season, so we can't be that bad.

Pedantic semantics already.....

I t has come to my attention that dozens and dozens of famous or partially famous people have died this year so far ,yet only 2 of them are on this years death list.Surely this has to be counted as a monumental failure of prediction?

We really are going to have to do better for 2007..is there no way we can come up with a better method of more accurately predicting deaths???Anyone have any ideas?This simply isnt good enough!

I take your point Iain. 2006 would seem to have the potential, what with the names that have been chosen, to be a very slow year. Particularly annoyed that we didn't have Profumo on the list.

can't immediately think how the "hit rate" copuld be fixed though.

Particularly annoyed that we didn't have Profumo on the list.

You jest surely, if not, then consult an optician immediately. :o

You jest surely, if not, then consult an optician immediately. :o

OOPPPS. 3/50 it is then. Maybe that isn't so bad for mid-March.

I thought of John Travolta,but on further research there is a site devoted entirely to celebrity fliers.

Celebrity Pilots.

Mind you -its cr*p.

Someone tried that last year with the Arsenal team, but we couldn't be bothered typing in all the unique picks. So, no. Their team name was good though..."Dennis Bergkamp I Ain't Gettin' On No Plane Fool". :lol:

You jest surely, if not, then consult an optician immediately. :D

OOPPPS. 3/50 it is then. Maybe that isn't so bad for mid-March.

Seems I'm not the only one who skips past the front page and links right to the forums! :lol:

A}What happened to Rude Kid?

:lol: Where is the whiner who complained we haven't had enough hits? We have been doing reasonably well.

it strikeths meow odd that since the most recent deathing of Lord Byron Nelson (why has yet not nobody of any repute confirmed or refuted my wondered wonderings of wherther or not he was indeed a Lord and when dieing does one retain Lordship or are they reduced to back regular status,?

But the point here and if you could all see your way clear to doing so is that even as the sirens wail in the foregrounded backfront of the background (and no, I do not have a breakfront) that this post was best answered when Byron Nelson died because quietly as he left the golfing range, he also made it known that DeathList-2006 is far from a failure.

Day unknown since they all blend into each other anyway.

...that DeathList-2006 is far from a failure.

Quite so, it's also exceedingly far from being a success, very, very mediocre thus far.

If there are no other deaths this year, then it will be the poorest since 1998.

However, never give up hope. The epochal 2003 list had three deaths in as many days.

You never know what's round the corner.

Next year should be promising. There are a couple of terminals (Hazlewood, Allen - if they hang on)

and Ross Davidson has got to give up the ghost sooner or later. And Biggs come to think of it.

And of course it's the 20th anniversary..... <_<

The epochal 2003 list had three deaths in as many days.

As many dayss as what??@

it strikeths meow odd that since the most recent deathing of Lord Byron Nelson (why has yet not nobody of any repute confirmed or refuted my wondered wonderings of wherther or not he was indeed a Lord and when dieing does one retain Lordship or are they reduced to back regular status,?

Byron Nelson had the nickname "Lord Byron" because of his elegant swing and chivalrous demeanor.