Guest iain

Larry King

Have great respect for Larry King for the moment he killed Rave Dubin: 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

I say it once again, I’m sure Ruth Bader Ginsburg is just Larry with a wig

2 hours ago, drol said:

Some obvious misses were pointed out since it came out. Larry was the most obvious (already seriously ill with heart issues late last year, and had lost two children), Carlos Menem (quite easy punt) and Gorbachev (has been ill for years and years) are two other awful absences. I feel Desmond Tutu should have been on the list, he has suffered from cancer for a very long time, was close to death many times and COVID is sweeping South Africa and Jiang Zemin should have been on it too (years and years of heart disease, close to death at least twice, long absence from the political scene...).

I'm too starting to think that this years list was pretty bad. Won't get near last year's list.

On 18/01/2021 at 19:10, Banana said:
On 18/01/2021 at 18:17, CoffinLodger said:

He'll make it to his 90's I reckon.Congrats to the committee for not putting him on this years list.Would have been a wasted slot ! 

Lung cancer survivor from heavy smoking with heart problems that have him in and out of the hospital. Big miss. 

:reading-glasses:

Yeah massive miss from the committee.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

King wrote a book in 2004 about his experience living with heart disease, titled "Taking On Heart Disease: Famous Personalities Recall How They Triumphed over the Nation's #1 Killer and How You Can, Too".

In it he interviews a number of celebrities who were living with heart disease, whether it be genetic or lifestyle induced. 16 years later here's who has gone or is still around from the book:

Ed Bradley, 1941–2006 (65), journalist
Walter Cronkite1916–2009 (92), broadcaster
Mike Wallace, 1918–2012 (93), journalist
Regis Philbin, 1931–2020 (88), television presenter
Tommy Lasorda, 1927–2021 (93), baseball player and manager
Joyce Carol Oates (wiki), writer. Turning 83 in June. Diagnosed way back in the 1960s!
Pat Buchanan (wiki), conservative political commentator and journalist. Turning 83 in November. Open heart surgery to replace a valve in 1992.
Mike Ditka (wiki), former American football player and coach turned commentator. Turning 82 in October. Survived a heart attack in 1988 and a stroke in 2012.
Peggy Fleming (wiki), former Olympic figure skater. Turning 73 in July. Her father had 3 heart attacks and was dead by the age of 41!
Kate Jackson (wiki), actress known for her role in Charlie's Angels. Turning 73 in October. Diagnosed with a heart defect in 1998, underwent surgery to correct it.
Victoria Gotti (wiki), writer and TV personality. Turning 59 in November. Pacemaker installed at a young age, went faulty in 2002 and needed replaced.
Eddie Griffin (wiki), comedian. Turning 53 in July. Suffered a heart attack in 1998 whilst rehearsing for a show. Put it down to smoking and bad diet.
Brian Littrell (wiki), lead singer of the Backstreet Boys. Turning 46 next month. Born with a congenital heart defect, survived a bout of swine flu in the 2000s.

Not exactly a high mortality rate so far and 4/5 of those gone were above life expectancy but handy for note keeping/considering future DDP names.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Here's a clip that's not aged well. Doubt Rubin won't be too fond of this being shown again and again.

• Like 1

First hit of 2021 for me.

R.I.P Larry King.

14 minutes ago, Jimmy Conway said:

Here's a clip that's not aged well. Doubt Rubin won't be too fond of this being shown again and again.

I doubt it will hurt Rubin much more now King has died of Covid.The point both men are making still stands.

Do we know if King actually died from Covid or complications from Covid or another health condition like a stroke heart attack infection.His health was terrible before he got Covid hence why he made the Drop 40.Of course, it probably was directly covid related before anyone bites my head off but would have thought Covid would have killed him sooner given his terrible state of health.I know people not quite as ill as King but pretty ill who have survived Covid but I know of some healthy people who have nearly died of it.By the UK  standard he passed the benchmark to be classed as a Covid death (28 days of a positive test) which always seems a weird way to quantify it as that would mean Derek Draper wouldn`t count if he died tonight even though that would almost certainly be a direct result of Covid.

6 minutes ago, Sean said:

I doubt it will hurt Rubin much more now King has died of Covid.The point both men are making still stands.

Do we know if King actually died from Covid or complications from Covid or another health condition like a stroke heart attack infection.His health was terrible before he got Covid hence why he made the Drop 40.Of course, it probably was directly covid related before anyone bites my head off but would have thought Covid would have killed him sooner given his terrible state of health.I know people not quite as ill as King but pretty ill who have survived Covid but I know of some healthy people who have nearly died of it.By the UK  standard he passed the benchmark to be classed as a Covid death (28 days of a positive test) which always seems a weird way to quantify it as that would mean Derek Draper wouldn`t count if he died tonight even though that would almost certainly be a direct result of Covid.

Had a look earlier. Couldn’t find a cause of death. Likely TMZ will do some digging then leak details later.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Had a look earlier. Couldn’t find a cause of death. Likely TMZ will do some digging then leak details later.

Its likely a combination of things. His lung cancer never went away and he was in the end stages of heart disease. Covid will no doubt be on his death cert but so will cancer and heart disease maybe even other things.

4 hours ago, Jimmy Conway said:

good lord Dave Rubin is a self-involved little twit

The magnitude of Larry King's fame coupled with an above-average likelihood of his imminent demise renders his omission from the list a non-negligible oversight by the DeathList committee (Est. 1987).

Big miss!!!

image.jpeg.08688f20bf489eba8164afc4e6af8ff4.jpeg

Just remembered he had his own card on cards against humanity.Even funnier now.

On 23/01/2021 at 15:47, Ulitzer95 said:

Second DL "miss" this year after Phil Spector.

In danger of sounding like a perpetual moan, but I said this on Jan 1st and I reckon I'll be vindicated come December – it's a crap list.

Favouring healthy 90-something year olds over ill 80-something year olds is a stupid policy that should have been binned years ago and never repeated but there are too many users on here who parrot the "they're too big not to include" line. Thus you end up with a useless list, few hits, and then the same people saying "QEII, Lansbury etc. are too big to miss" complain that we missed King. (I'm allowed to complain cos he was on my shadow list :P)

With him, fair enough. They missed a massive one. But I think picking the big maybe's' more fun. If they picked people who are irrifutibally likely to die, it would get very dull and predictable after a while.

• Confused 1

Oh ! One month after his death, did someone mention he was a big miss ? I don’t think so :old: