Guest Paul Acworth

Reg Varney -On The Buses & Jack Smethurst Love Thy

On the Hearses...

I recommend a re-reading of this thread to anyone interested in the minutiae of obscure (and less obscure) vintage British sitcoms. Where's The Pooka, TLC and pulphack these days?

Oh, and just in case anyone was wondering...

krankies7qm.gif

I recommend a re-reading of this thread to anyone interested in the minutiae of obscure (and less obscure) vintage British sitcoms. Where's The Pooka, TLC and pulphack these days?

Thanks for the recommendation - excellent reading. If it's not too late to join in with the various nominations:

Lifetime acheivement: Wendy Craig - not only awful shows but a holier than thou god-botherer to boot - oh how I enjoyed it, when it turned out she'd shagged that old goat Mortimer. I found the original Russ Abbot show rather entertainingly surreal. Admittedly took a dive shortly after.

As for sitcoms, surely the worst was that one, whose name thankfully escapes me, about an ineffectual young policeman who lived at home. Something like "PC Pansy" or something equally hilarious.

Thanks for the recommendation - excellent reading. If it's not too late to join in with the various nominations:

Lifetime acheivement: Wendy Craig - not only awful shows but a holier than thou god-botherer to boot - oh how I enjoyed it, when it turned out she'd shagged that old goat Mortimer. I found the original Russ Abbot show rather entertainingly surreal. Admittedly took a dive shortly after.

As for sitcoms, surely the worst was that one, whose name thankfully escapes me, about an ineffectual young policeman who lived at home. Something like "PC Pansy" or something equally hilarious.

It should have been called PC Pansy, but sadly delighted in the less memorable title of Rosie. Written by Roy Clarke, it must have bombed due to the lack of old men whizzing down Yorkshire hills in converted bathtubs.

It should have been called PC Pansy, but sadly delighted in the less memorable title of Rosie. Written by Roy Clarke, it must have bombed due to the lack of old men whizzing down Yorkshire hills in converted bathtubs.

That was it. Truly execrable. But it is odd: looking at the dates on that website, I cannot understand why I would have watched it. At the time I was pogoing to the Vibrators, the Damned etc and running away from Teds on the Kings Road. Surely as an even halfhearted punk, that crap wouldn't have held my attention for more than twenty seconds.

Oh, and just in case anyone was wondering...

krankies7qm.gif

Okay, I need to go wash my eyes now...

BBC Breaking News says Ronnie Wolfe, writer of On The Buses, dead after a fall.

Certainly is, link here- http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-16239183

Yet another accidental death for the DDP 's annals, and this death is sure to enrage TMIB further after just doing his update earlier. Not a good month for DDP picks with a surname beginning with Wolf..

Edited by Octopus of Odstock

A unique pick for the Theme Team "And Its Goodnight From Him...".

Given that he fell down the stairs, I'd assume that's an unnatural death bonus? Unless it is deemed natural for 89 year olds to fall down stairs...

Given that he fell down the stairs, I'd assume that's an unnatural death bonus? Unless it is deemed natural for 89 year olds to fall down stairs...

It is and it's the 9th of the year. Can you believe it?

Lifetime acheivement: Wendy Craig... oh how I enjoyed it, when it turned out she'd shagged that old goat Mortimer.

What, you mean the chick from Nanny had an affair with the bloke who created Rumpole?! The mind boggles. :blink:

(DeathList gives one quite an education.)

A unique pick for the Theme Team "And Its Goodnight From Him...". Given that he fell down the stairs, I'd assume that's an unnatural death bonus? Unless it is deemed natural for 89 year olds to fall down stairs...

A terrorist, a dictator, the Mexican Secretary of the interior, a woman loopy on medication, a singer, a washed up actor, a businessman with shitty doctors, a cricket player who needed a better smoke alarm, and now a old writer. Quite the lot.

Does this have me rocketing up the charts, or do a couple more Ronnie's have to turn up their toes?

This does of course mean I'll have extra work to do now to find a replacement Ronnie for next year.

Or I could use Ronnie Corbett.

That's sad news, Oh well, a hit is a hit.

That's sad news, Oh well, a hit is a hit.

Congrats, you and a few others. I'll await the usual subsequent posts in Last of the Summer Wine, Dead of 2015, Character Actors and any other threads people care to think of.....was he in Doctor Who? *rushes off to check* Edit: not as far as I can see - Oh Doctor Beeching though.