Guest Paul Acworth

Reg Varney -On The Buses & Jack Smethurst Love Thy

Guest Paul Acworth

Are they still alive?

Jack Smethurst is still acting, mostly on stage although did have a guest appearance on "Doctors" in 2002 for one episode apparently.

He was born on April 9th 1932 so he's a sprightly 72 this year.

His agency is Pemberton Associates of London and Manchester if anyone would like to book him for a personal appearance............

Guest The Face

Jack Smethurst is still alive and kicking

Guest Guest_guest

Reg Varney is still alive but Bob Grant who played the conductor died in Nov 2003

old reg varney is still alive and kicking but me thinks it will be the bucket that he kicks in 2005.. reg was born 11th July 1916 making him 89 years old..

stephen lewis who played blakey in on the buses and is now in the last of the summer wine, ive just found out to my horror that he aint that old, he was born in 1936, the exact date i cant find making him 69.... also that means he was only 33 years old when he first played blakey in 1969... i was shocked when i found out he was 69 i was hoping he would be well into his 80,s like old reg varney :(

[Merged with existing thread - Teddy]

Interesting three way contest.

On the Buses v Carry On v Dad's Army

Who has the highest mortality rate/ lowest life expectancy??

there are not that many cast members for either on the busses or dads army that are still with us..

clive dunn was born January 9, 1920, making him 85, but then he always played old men, so at least now he can play old men without needing any makeup.

i saw a recent picture of clive dunn he,s getting the craggy neck and baggy eyes syndrome, lets hope we here him make that old death rattle soon :(

there are not that many cast members for either on the busses or dads army that are still with us..

clive dunn was born January 9, 1920, making him 85, but then he always played old men, so at least now he can play old men without needing any makeup.

i saw a recent picture of clive dunn he,s getting the craggy neck and baggy eyes syndrome, lets hope we here him make that old death rattle soon :(

Meant - Which show had the greatest potential for pre mature death?

I think in terms of numbers there are more "Carr-Onners" still with us.

I hate to say this but how is Barbara Windsor's health?

This thread also reminds me- saw Peter Sallis on the street the other day and he looked very ill.

i saw a recent picture of clive dunn he,s getting the craggy neck and baggy eyes syndrome, lets hope we here him make that old death rattle soon ;)

I think Mr Dunn may have been mentioned once or twice before...?

Guest Guest

Jack Smethurts is currently playing a character in the drama Casualty.Reg Varney may be 89 but that does not necesarily mean he is abut to drop dead!He may well go on for a few years yet,and probably will

Guest Godfrey Sprye

Although the IMDB lists Varney as being born in 1916, Mark Lewisohn's Guide To TV Comedy states that Reg Varney was born on 11th July 1922.

I'm inclined to believe 1916, it's seldom these information sources err on the old side.

:rip: what about olive???? anyone know where she is? here with us or there with them?

Guest Guest

As far as I know Olive is still alive. didnt she play Peggy Mitchell's sister in Eastenders a few years back?

Guest iain

If you click on http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063936/fullcredits then click on the name of each actor it will tell you whos dead and whos still alive.The actress Anna Karen who played the part of Olive Rudge is still alive and will be 69 on monday ;)

the 2 actresses who played the part of 'mum' are dead now,as is Michael Robbins who played the part of Olives husband Arthur ..he died of cancer in his 60s back in 1992.Bob Grant who played the part of Jack Harper tragically committed suicide 2 years ago aged 71.

oih i forgot..the following members of the (regular) cast of Love Thy Neighbour are known to be dead...Tommy Godfrey (arthur) who died aged 68 in 1984 and Paul Lutty who played Nobby Garside died in 1990.I assume the rest are alive but one or 2 could be dead in a council flat somewhere,who knows..

"Love thy neighbour" and "On the buses", both of these shows have aged badly, when viewed nowadays they really look very poor.

It might be more productive to focus on the writers of these sitcoms, all of whom are alive.

Ronald Chesney born 1920,and Ronald Wolfe, wrote most of "On the Buses",along with other sitcoms which you can see by clicking on their names.

Vince Powell DOB not known, and Harry Driver, wrote most of "Love thy neighbour",other sitcoms also.

I don't know if they are famous enough for Deathlist, perhaps someone in authority can say.

Guest iain

I see that Harry Driver died at the relatively young age of 42..i wonder what he died of..

Perhaps he was killed because he ignored people when they tried to convince him to do the right thing - join us iain. You know you want to ;) .

Guest iain

ive joined allready!

Yes I noticed. You posted your first post on the Ronnie Biggs thread at exactly the same time I posted that. Welcome anyway.

Guest iain

I thought if i joined it might do the trick and finally finish Ronnie Biggs off!

ive joined allready!

Welcome aboard iain

I was going to start a thread welcoming iain to deathlist but then I remembered - its his job to start pointless threads ;) .