Sign in to follow this  
Windsor

Tom Weir

Late night TV on ITV Grampian pointed me towards Tom Weir. (b.1914)

They still show repeats of his programme 'Weir's Way' up here. It is all the excitement you need.

His sister Mollie died in late 2004.

He is fairly famous in Scotland I suppose but I'm guessing no one else has heard of him.

There is so little material on him that he may even be dead.

Late night TV on ITV Grampian pointed me towards Tom Weir. (b.1914)

A tragic life, according to that URL:

Weir's father was killed during World War I when he was just months old.

I didn't know men could enlist at such a tender age.

regards,

Hein

"Late night TV on ITV Grampian pointed me towards Tom Weir. (b.1914)

They still show repeats of his programme 'Weir's Way' up here. It is all the excitement you need.

His sister Mollie died in late 2004.

He is fairly famous in Scotland I suppose but I'm guessing no one else has heard of him.

There is so little material on him that he may even be dead. " 'Quoting windsor'

--------------------

I'm sure he's still alive windsor, this dates from about 7 months ago,Tom Weir, 'Weirs Way' still runs on STV in the early hours of the morning, he's really well known in Scotland and I'm sure we would have heard if he had died, but like Rikki Fulton I think he is unlikely to be well known outside Scotland. One thing I will say for Tom Weir, at least he did walk up and down the hills and knew what he was talking about unlike Jimmy McGregor (ex folk singer) who did a similar TV show about 20 years ago and took helicopters up to the tops of mountains, pretending he had walked there and was a patronising git.

Guest iain

it just so happens that i can enlighten you on the subject of Tom Weir...Tom currently lives in a nursing home near to Loch Lomond ,and his sister was Molly Weir ,the actress from Rentaghost who died last december in her 90s.I think Tom Weir is about 94.

Guest iain

ANOTHER OBSCURE ONE iM AFRIAD UNLESS YOU HAppen to be scottish.The scottish broadcaster and naturalist Tom Weir has passed away at 91 apparentely.No idea who he was myself but like i say he was big in scotland apparentely

EDIT:this has been discovered to be untrue..wikipedia got it wrong.Im sorry

ANOTHER OBSCURE ONE iM AFRIAD UNLESS YOU HAppen to be scottish.The scottish broadcaster and naturalist Tom Wier has passed away at 91 apparentely.No idea who he was myself but like i say he was big in scotland apparentely

You are sadder than me - and thats saying something!!

Guest iain

ANOTHER OBSCURE ONE iM AFRIAD UNLESS YOU HAppen to be scottish.The scottish broadcaster and naturalist Tom Wier has passed away at 91 apparentely.No idea who he was myself but like i say he was big in scotland apparentely

i said naturalist (pertaining to the love of nature), not naturist (pertaining to love of nudism)

it just so happens that i can enlighten you on the subject of Tom Weir...Tom currently lives in a nursing home near to Loch Lomond ,and his sister was Molly Weir ,the actress from Rentaghost who died last december in her 90s.I think Tom Weir is about 94.

So you've no idea who he was iain, that's not what you said back in september.

I can't find any news link to his death, so where did you get your info?

I hope you're not posting rubbish iain.

i said naturalist (pertaining to the love of nature), not naturist (pertaining to love of nudism)

And? Hes a nonentity,nothing to do with clothed or otherwise.

Tom Weir

See,apart from Molly Weir - nothing.

Wont let me show a live link so

geo.ed.ac.uk/scotsgaz/people/famousfirst829.html

I can't find any news link to his death, so where did you get your info?

I hope you're not posting rubbish iain.

Iain doesn't post rubbish really, he's a bit like a very good story teller who gets a

bit carried away.. :crossbone:

Tom Weir is on my list for 2007. Could you please provide a source for your information, iain?

Guest iain

actually wIkipedia now lists him as still being alive...im going to have to look into this..itsu sually a reliable source

..now u mention it i can rememebr looking up his name about 6 months ago but i forgot it again..i cant remember all the hundreds of people whos deaths are reported over 6 months!

Guest iain
actually wIkipedia now lists him as still being alive...im going to have to look into this..itsu sually a reliable source

..now u mention it i can rememebr looking up his name about 6 months ago but i forgot it again..i cant remember all the hundreds of people whos deaths are reported over 6 months!

ive just emailed onme of the wikipedia administrators re the Tom Weir thing and apparentely he says sometimes people post fake details for a laugh and are able to have it up there for several hours before its discovered..i thought it was impossible that such a well kknown site could let that happen.Im going to have to reconsider whether to continue relying on this service as much as before.I feel a bit betrayed by this

ive just emailed onme of the wikipedia administrators re the Tom Weir thing and apparentely he says sometimes people post fake details for a laugh and are able to have it up there for several hours before its discovered..i thought it was impossible that such a well kknown site could let that happen.Im going to have to reconsider whether to continue relying on this service as much as before.I feel a bit betrayed by this

You know full well that Wiki is prone to be abused, so why pretend otherwise.

But in this case iain you're full of sh*t, I looked up Tom Weir on Wiki within minutes of your announcement of his death. He was listed as alive even then, Tom Weir's Wiki page hasn't been altered since the 17th of Feb and his death was never posted in the recent death's section of Wiki, so it is obvious you made it up to get attention.

Go and seek attention somewhere else iain.

If he was dead I would be kicking myself.

I took him off my DDP last minute. :o

Can we give iain a warning. His antics have been fairly annoying this week.

It's possible alright. I was busy tweaking the Ringo Starr page when I found someone had posted a comment about John Lennon shagging Britney Spears, they'd ever spelled her name wrong. Much as I'm in favour of free speech and the rest I took it upon myself to remove it....before adding that Ringo was the drummer with The Rolling Stones.

It's possible alright. I was busy tweaking the Ringo Starr page when I found someone had posted a comment about John Lennon shagging Britney Spears, they'd ever spelled her name wrong. Much as I'm in favour of free speech and the rest I took it upon myself to remove it....before adding that Ringo was the drummer with The Rolling Stones.

But not in this case. The wikipedia article on Tom Weir was last edited on Feb 17th and he was still listed as being alive.

Tom Weir is still alive and, in my opinion anyway, passes the famousness test. :)

Having initally disagreed I am now accepting his famousness.

(Spoke to my mother in law in Blairgowrie,she berated me for my ignorance).

Tom Weir is still alive and, in my opinion anyway, passes the famousness test. :)

Indeed, an hour of late night TV on Grampian certainly does go quickly with him.

When he does die, we will have the tribute shows to look forward to.

Another excuse for a bloody repeat...

Having initally disagreed I am now accepting his famousness.

(Spoke to my mother in law in Blairgowrie,she berated me for my ignorance).

Sorry. Didn't mean to get you into trouble :evil:

Indeed, an hour of late night TV on Grampian certainly does go quickly with him.

Could be worse - you could have SKY.

And pay for them.

And Britney was the lead singer of The Supremes ?

What happened to adventure?

Could be worse - you could have SKY.

And pay for them.

I do have sky, but most of the time there is nothing decent on. Even the documentaries are crap these days.