Col.Smudge

Bernard Cribbins

14 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I did not pick Bernard Cribbins in a single game.

I couldn't tbh. There's hundreds of suitable names. There was only one Bernard Cribbins.

• Like 8

Woke up to this sad news. 

Ubiquitous, totally believable in every part. 

Let's not mention Carry On Columbus, even though he was the best thing in it.

The eulogies will mention the huge roles he had which make him beloved by many generations, so I don't need to. A National Treasure leaves the stage.

Bye Bernard, and thanks for everything, because everything is what you did. RIP.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

He was not on the DDP drop 40 and he was not on the crowdsourced list

He has been working during the year including filming the 60th Anniversary Episode of Doctor Who - he did lose his wife at the end of 2021 but seemed in reasonable health. I think he would have been included in the 2023 list if he had survived

I understand totally why he was not on the list

No he wouldn't have.

If they had put him on the list I would have hunted them down and rammed broom handles up their arses.

Genuinely gutted, a brilliant comedic actor, good guy and proper 'star'. 

The lights have gone out...:(

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

He was not on the DDP drop 40 and he was not on the crowdsourced list

He has been working during the year including filming the 60th Anniversary Episode of Doctor Who - he did lose his wife at the end of 2021 but seemed in reasonable health. I think he would have been included in the 2023 list if he had survived

I understand totally why he was not on the list

There is one sad and pressing logic for Bernard to have been included by the committee (and others) on this years list. His lifelong partner Gillian McBarnet died last year after they had been married for 66 years (m 1955). It is not at all uncommon for men of Bernard’s age to rapidly decline from good health and die within a short period of time following the death of their wife; such likelihood being increased by their having no children.

I shall miss Bernard, he has been a most loved presence in my life for many years.

• Like 2

This is like losing one of the family. I'm on record as saying that Cribbins' death is the one that would come closest to breaking my heart, and so it has. I can't think of anyone who's had a broader range of work, for so long.  Everyone has seen him or heard him in something.

He could do it all, and did.

600x600.jpg 42690900-0-A_legend_of_children_s_film_and_television_Bernard_Cribbins_beca-a-47_1620914075425.jpg p06vyt1g.jpg07%2BBernard%2BCribbins%2Bas%2BFelix%2BForsythe.jpg jackanory_022.png 66c99458e23f9974d3b7a93d6afba0b5.jpg

• Like 14

1 hour ago, msc said:

:(

About as sad as it's possible to be for a man in his 90s going. Farewell Mr Cribbins. You were fantastic.

I totally agree, I feel sadder at his death than I have for some family members! He was someone that was always on telly when I was growing up either in the flesh on Jackanory (always a great week when he was on)  films ect. or doing voice work, he was even in the add breaks for things like Hornby and British Telecom (RIP Busby).

I was still watching him in my 40s with my son who liked Old Jack's Boat!

• Like 3

It feels wrong to talk about this but, assuming Bernard’s scenes do appear in Doctor Who next year, will he be the first Doctor Who actor to pass away between filming and broadcast? 

I know there was a strangely similar situation with Howard Atfield, who Bernard himself replaced, but his scenes filmed for “Partners in Crime” were cut. The other closest thing I can think of is how Peter Arne was cast in “Frontios” but murdered before shooting.

This is a bigger death than that basketball player who was killed in a helicopter crash.

• Like 5
  • Confused 3

4 minutes ago, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

It feels wrong to talk about this but, assuming Bernard’s scenes do appear in Doctor Who next year, will he be the first Doctor Who actor to pass away between filming and broadcast? 

I know there was a strangely similar situation with Howard Atfield, who Bernard himself replaced, but his scenes filmed for “Partners in Crime” were cut. The other closest thing I can think of is how Peter Arne was cast in “Frontios” but murdered before shooting.

I can't think of anyone in the mainline show but Elisabeth Sladen passed before the airing of the final season of the Sarah Jane Adventures

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, One shot Paddy said:

I totally agree, I feel sadder at his death than I have for some family members! He was someone that was always on telly when I was growing up either in the flesh on Jackanory (always a great week when he was on)  films ect. or doing voice work, he was even in the add breaks for things like Hornby and British Telecom (RIP Busby).

I thought Busby was Richard Briers (or was that Griffon - Midland Bank?)

1 minute ago, Stuart Beck said:

I can't think of anyone in the mainline show but Elisabeth Sladen passed before the airing of the final season of the Sarah Jane Adventures

After a few seconds of research it appears there was one...

Actress Jean Conroy died about a month before the airing of her role in The Dalek Invasion of Earth (1964)

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, One shot Paddy said:

3 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I thought Busby was Richard Briers (or was that Griffon - Midland Bank?)

Firstly, it was Buzby, secondly definitely Bernard Cribbins.

Back in the late 70s, i.e. when these commercials were doing the rounds, I was working (my fist ever proper job) alongside a guy named Sid Busby, who always answered the phone with "Busby", much to my amusement.

God bless him. 

35 minutes ago, time said:

This is a bigger death than that basketball player who was killed in a helicopter crash.

Who? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Facepalm 2

A very sad loss & someone who many feel (including Womble singer Mike Batt) should have been knighted. However, he seemed to be too good a guy for anything other than a relatively recent OBE - obviously not a Mason, a creep or someone who gives to political parties. Botham had his knighthood promoted to a peerage just for supporting Brexit. Bernard's wife died last year after 66 years of marriage which can often be a trigger to a decline in health. RIP Bernard.

• Like 8

Desperately sad, as like for everyone here Bernard was there as long as I can remember.  Some of my earliest memories include "Hole in the Ground" and "Right Said Fred" which were usually heard on Saturday morning radio on Junior Choice.   But he was so versatile, he popped up everywhere.  And he was so lovable.

• Like 8

He was loved by multiple generations, and was utterly wonderful wherever he went and whatever he did. I’m sad today.

He even smashed it on Never Mind The Buzzcocks:

• Like 4

Can only add that I agree with all the above tributes. By all accounts an absolutely lovely man and a part of every British person's life in one way or another. Too young for Jackanory, definitely seen some Wombles, loved him in Fawlty Towers (spppppoooooons?!) but for me, he will always be Wilfrid Mott. What an incredible role for him to get so late in life. Such a wonderful sport on panel shows and just a lover of life and all the opportunities it afforded. The world is a little bit darker today, rest in peace, Bernard.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Stuart Beck said:

Oh, and thanks for reminding me about the untimely passing of the lovely Liz Sladen too. :(

Bernard Cribbins Not being  knighted has to be the biggest injustice in the history of the honours system.

• Like 10

8 hours ago, Paul Bearer said:

We'll shortly have all the arseholes  experts moaning and asking why he wasn't on the list. 

You always get quite touchy bout this PB.

Time to own up to the fact that you're the sole member of the "DL Committee" and you compile the list every year? ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5