Get well soon, NAP.

Thank you all for your kind wishes.

I'm feeling fine already and should be out of here in a day or two.

But as Bou so rightly points out, I'll probably be off work for a few weeks, which can only speed things up on the HDP.

Hope you're better soon NAP. I had mine out a couple of years ago, it had burst violently and taken a couple of other body parts out in the process.

I agree with Bou, the going under was fantastic, the coming around again I didn't care for because there was pain and then there was morphine which made it all alright again.

Being woozy with the morphine and having been left to my own devices and hungry, I ate an apple that someone had left on my bedside table. Whatever you do , don't eat an apple, the resulting gas build up was terrifying, extremely painful and then it has to come out. ' Laisse le sortir' (let it leave) said the old lady in the next bed, but I couldn't because I felt inhibited by her large circle of visitors who were settling in for the day. So I hauled myself out of bed and dragged myself into the bathroom where I 'let it leave' for about 10 minutes, laughing aloud with the sheer relief of it all. It wasn't until I got back into bed and one of the visitors used the loo that I realised every single sound was audible through the paper thin walls.

I don't really remember going under, but coming back up was nice mainly because there was so much less pain than before.

And they had clearly given me something to make me feel happy.

Mine hadn't burst yet in spite of the efforts of the first hospital I went to which sent me away because they had no room and couldn't understand why I had gone straight there and not to my doctor.

Luckily the only other patient in my room is near deaf.

Nice to see that you still have that quote in your sig, Slave. It is taken from the tour guide to the Glasgow Necropolis.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery NAP.

Nice to see that you still have that quote in your sig, Slave. It is taken from the tour guide to the Glasgow Necropolis.

I wondered where it came from, it's been there so long now, it's sort of become part of the furniture.

That anaesthetic stuff. Is it, in any way, similar to the gas that women are given when in labour?

When Lady FN was last in labour with our youngest ( now 17, and yes I do feel fooking old) I tried some of that gas...and tried it.....and tried it. Nothing

I still couldnt fly and if I had been clouted in the knackers by a sledgehammer, I would still have felt the full force. :rolleyes:

That anaesthetic stuff. Is it, in any way, similar to the gas that women are given when in labour?

When Lady FN was last in labour with our youngest ( now 17, and yes I do feel fooking old) I tried some of that gas...and tried it.....and tried it. Nothing

I still couldnt fly and if I had been clouted in the knackers by a sledgehammer, I would still have felt the full force. :rolleyes:

No, anaesthetic is lovely but Entonox is about as much use as a Junior Disprin. Apparently it's much better if you have a cigarette immediately after having a good few lugs of it but I couldn't test that theory at the time.

No, anaesthetic is lovely but Entonox is about as much use as a Junior Disprin. Apparently it's much better if you have a cigarette immediately after having a good few lugs of it but I couldn't test that theory at the time.

I broke my leg into three neat pieces some years ago, and then, quite stupidly, broke the same leg five months later, even though it was all fixed together by bits of titanium. They had to cut my brand new trousers off, which I was somewhat peeved about, anyway, I digress, the point is I agree, gas is sh*t for pain. The menfolk of the forum will obviously not have any experience, but busting my leg was worse pain than giving birth. And I heard it snap, just like a branch.

I rather liked Entonox, it made me giggle, DttG tried it too and as a consequence did an ill advised tour of the labour ward with a papier mache weewee receptacle on his head (they do look a bit like cowboy hats).

No use when things got serious though.

I rather liked Entonox, it made me giggle, DttG tried it too and as a consequence did an ill advised tour of the labour ward with a papier mache weewee receptacle on his head (they do look a bit like cowboy hats).

No use when things got serious though.

What - the gas, the wee-wee receptacle or DttG? All three, I'll wager. :skill2:

I'm going to blow my own horn here - I had both of my children totally natural, drug free. I did, however, have a fourth degree laceration with the youngest one and spent a few weeks walking funny.

When I had my hysterectomy I didn't have any problem with the anesthesia. I didn't have that much pain at all - didn't need any painkillers aside from the SPAM they gave me for inflammation. I tied the cord for the morphine pump up out of my way and the nurse's got really upset that I wasn't using it. They thought I was being brave, but I really didn't hurt.

I don't do brave - I just have a high pain tolerance. :lol: If I hurt I'm the first person hollering for painkillers.

I'm going to blow my own horn here - I had both of my children totally natural, drug free. I did, however, have a fourth degree laceration with the youngest one and spent a few weeks walking funny.

When I had my hysterectomy I didn't have any problem with the anesthesia. I didn't have that much pain at all - didn't need any painkillers aside from the SPAM they gave me for inflammation. I tied the cord for the morphine pump up out of my way and the nurse's got really upset that I wasn't using it. They thought I was being brave, but I really didn't hurt.

I don't do brave - I just have a high pain tolerance. :lol: If I hurt I'm the first person hollering for painkillers.

Wow, the properties of SPAM! :P

NAP I hope you make a speedy recovery, perhaps you could replace SPAM with one bratwurst twice a day? Good to hear that the German system isn't perfectly efficient even if it did cause you some anxiety.

What - the gas, the wee-wee receptacle or DttG? All three, I'll wager. :lol:

Luckily I didn't have to test the weewee receptacle but I pity the poor woman who was given it for legitimate purposes afterwards. DttG was actually a bit of a star and took charge of the situation as the goodfornothing midwife was too busy hiding in the kitchen scoffing baked potatoes.

What - the gas, the wee-wee receptacle or DttG? All three, I'll wager. :lol:

Luckily I didn't have to test the weewee receptacle but I pity the poor woman who was given it for legitimate purposes afterwards. DttG was actually a bit of a star and took charge of the situation as the goodfornothing midwife was too busy hiding in the kitchen scoffing baked potatoes.

Well credit to him. The first time I gave birth, the father was twelve miles away shagging a 16 year old, and the second time, the father stood there gormlessly sucking on my gas and air, and then ate the sandwich the midwife had got for me. And both fathers have been complete twats from then on. I must choose my sperm donors more carefully in future.

For our second kid, the obstetrician didn't turn up in time as she was caught up in traffic, so I was a lot more in the thick of things than I really had any right, or inclination, to be.

I'd much rather have been part of the generation that paced around in the waiting room handing out Cuban cigars to all and sundry. Although looking back it was rather cool to have delivered our kid though. There's some serious bragging rights come the 21st birthday party.

Wow, the properties of SPAM! :P

NAP I hope you make a speedy recovery, perhaps you could replace SPAM with one bratwurst twice a day? Good to hear that the German system isn't perfectly efficient even if it did cause you some anxiety.

OMG - ok, let's see if this works. I-B-U-P-R-O-F-E-N

Isn't that good old N2O? aka laughing gas?

It's probably quite a low dosage, I'd recommend a session with a couple of balloons and a Whipped Cream maker. Top stuff.

I still couldnt fly and if I had been clouted in the knackers by a sledgehammer, I would still have felt the full force. :(

This all reminds me of the time when I had to have my wisdom teeth removed. The NHS butcher of a dentist made such a mess of the first extraction that I was left traumatised. I went to see my new (private) dentist (Doctor Socrates, you couldn't make it up), and he prescribed 3 Temazepan taken 30 minutes before the appointment. He used local anaesthetic as well for the pain, but it was the happiest dentist appointment I ever had! For the third and final wisdom tooth I requested the Temazepan, but on the day "thought I would be brave and try without it"... then split the 3 pills with my hubby on the Friday night :(

This all reminds me of the time when I had to have my wisdom teeth removed. The NHS butcher of a dentist made such a mess of the first extraction that I was left traumatised. I went to see my new (private) dentist (Doctor Socrates, you couldn't make it up), and he prescribed 3 Temazepan taken 30 minutes before the appointment. He used local anaesthetic as well for the pain, but it was the happiest dentist appointment I ever had! For the third and final wisdom tooth I requested the Temazepan, but on the day "thought I would be brave and try without it"... then split the 3 pills with my hubby on the Friday night :(

What happened to the 4th Wisdom tooth?

Well, Mom's in one hospital with heart rhythm problems and my best friend (who has a pretty worthless family who won't help her at all) is in a long term acute care facility located over 50 miles away with osteomyelitis.

Now my biological father wants to friend me on Facebook. I seriously can't deal with this sh*t.

I am so freaking sick and tired of allergies and the stupid allergy season has only just started. Every year I threaten to stop taking my lithium so I can take antihistamines and decongestants....but I don't because I eventually decide that mania on allergy medications is probably worse than itchy eyes and sneezing.

Allergy season is Texas is always bad, but we had such a wet winter this year that everything is just exploding with growth. My front deck is coated in oak pollen - every time I take the dogs out it takes me 20 minutes to stop sneezing.

Hell, even the dogs are sneezing.

One of these years I'm going to have to move out of Texas or I'm going to have to resign myself to mania every spring.

My front deck is coated in oak pollen - every time I take the dogs out it takes me 20 minutes to stop sneezing.

Hell, even the dogs are sneezing.

That made me wonder if the dogs' sneezes are a sort of Alpha-response thing... CA is in charge, so do they sneeze when she sneezes (Gesundheit, btw CA!) in much the same way as dogs yawn when their masters/mistresses yawn?

That made me wonder if the dogs of those with Tourrette's Syndrome do the same... "Phucking Slag!" followed by "Woof-a-waf!"

One of these years I'm going to have to move out of Texas
Not until they pry you from its cold, dead hands!

... or I'm going to have to resign myself to mania every spring.
Surely that would make you the model Texan! Throw in a shopping mall and an assault rifle and we've got ourselves a good old-fashioned down-home sneeze-aggravated massacre.