Former humungous afro sporting 70s soul singer and keyboard player, Billy Preston is apparently in a bad way following an infection of the heart early in the year. An alcoholic and cocaine addict, he had a kidney transplant in 2002 following kidney failure. The new kidney subsequently failed and he now relies on dialysis 3 times a week to survive. More info here, this is the latest I could find.

Sounds quite promising for 2007 if not before, though not of course for Billy.

Billy Preston (ex Beatles and Rolling Stones Keyboard player) is very unwell. The vultures are circling according to this item (below the crap about the arsing DaVinci Code)

I mentioned him a couple of weeks ago here in 'Ideas and Possibilities', but, given the recent spate of bellyaching about who should and who shouldn't have their own thread, I chickened out of starting one in his honour. I'm glad someone has though as I think he deserves one.

Billy Preston (ex Beatles and Rolling Stones Keyboard player) is very unwell. The vultures are circling according to this item (below the crap about the arsing DaVinci Code)

Anubis,

Billy Preston was discussed briefly in the Ideas and Possibilities for 2007 thread

I'm hoping he will hold out until 2007

I'm confused as to how many people are regarded as to being The 5th Beatle, at one point Stuart Sutcliffe was considered to be the 5th, then it was Pete Best and now Billy Preston :party:

EDIT

oh well Slave to the Grave beat me to it with the link :party:

To the list of 'Fifth Beatles' can be added George Martin, their producer, Brian Epstein, their manager and Linda McCartney, their vegetarian ready-meal provider.

I'm confused as to how many people are regarded as to being The 5th Beatle, at one point Stuart Sutcliffe was considered to be the 5th, then it was Pete Best and now Billy Preston :party:

To the list of 'Fifth Beatles' can be added George Martin, their producer, Brian Epstein, their manager and Linda McCartney, their vegetarian ready-meal provider.

I forgot about Brian Epstein and George Martin :party:

But Linda McCartney?? :blink:

Anubis,

Billy Preston was discussed briefly in the Ideas and Possibilities for 2007 thread

EDIT

looking at his bio I'd say Preston would pass the "must be an article about his death in the British print media which isn't an obituary" litmus test which I use as a famousness measure. That's quite a leap the writer makes when he states "Preston's the real fifth Beatle", since he only played with them toward the end, in the Yoko era, long after the likes of Sutcliffe and Best. Seems to me there's a better argument he was the 6th Stone. Or do I mean 7th? 8th?

My ex-Modern Studies teacher claimed to be the 5th Beatle. Although he was not part of the band he was very close to the band in their early days. He went to school with one of them.

Needless to say, they became millionaires and he bacame a modern studies teacher - obviously didn't think that much of him...

Back in the late 70's\early 80's my father played with Billy Preston. A few times.

Heard he was a good guy.

I don't know if he would be a good guy for Deathlist just yet.

Anubis,

EDIT

looking at his bio I'd say Preston would pass the "must be an article about his death in the British print media which isn't an obituary" litmus test which I use as a famousness measure. That's quite a leap the writer makes when he states "Preston's the real fifth Beatle", since he only played with them toward the end, in the Yoko era, long after the likes of Sutcliffe and Best. Seems to me there's a better argument he was the 6th Stone. Or do I mean 7th? 8th?

Preston was more closer to George Harrison than the other 3 Beatles having performed in the Concert For Bangladesh and also the tribute concert for George.

I had no idea he played for the Stones. Then again I have to admit I don't own that many albums by the Stones.

My ex-Modern Studies teacher claimed to be the 5th Beatle. Although he was not part of the band he was very close to the band in their early days. He went to school with one of them.

Needless to say, they became millionaires and he bacame a modern studies teacher - obviously didn't think that much of him...

No, I'm the fifth Beatle

you can add Stu Sutcliffe, and a host of pre-Ringo drummers outside of good ol' Petey to the list of 5th Beatle candidates, just as long as no one tosses in Yoko or Phil Spector.

Billy has to keep up with the drugs while on dialysis if he's going to kick the bucket, since I doubt he's going to go the Art Buchwald route and refuse dialysis outright.

Back in the late 70's\early 80's my father played with Billy Preston. A few times.

Heard he was a good guy.

I'm not so sure either. Osama has lived on dialysis for years supposedly, and he's not exactly in a first-class hospital...

Heard he was a good guy.

I'm not so sure either. Osama has lived on dialysis for years supposedly, and he's not exactly in a first-class hospital...

You mean he's been captured and handed over to the NHS?

Heard he was a good guy.

You mean he's been captured and handed over to the NHS?

That's what they should have done to Ronnie Biggs :party:

No, I'm the fifth Beatle

Pete Best probably considers himself the 5th Beatle. If not him, I guess Stewart Sutcliff would be.

Or maybe the 5th Beatle hasn't been recognized just yet?

No, I'm the fifth Beatle

Pete Best probably considers himself the 5th Beatle. If not him, I guess Stewart Sutcliff would be.

Or perhaps the 5th Beatle hasn't been recognized just yet?

Will the real 5th Beatle, please step forward!!

It does not look like he will last much longer.

Billy Preston Clings to Life

I hope he makes it through - Would be a shame if he went. :lol:

His sisters should croak though - Heartless bitches.

He needs to stay around at least for another 8 more months.

I'd be gutted if another one that I bumped off my list for this year and have pencilled in for next year croaked.

He'd be the 4th one I've missed out on this year :lol:

I'm gutted, I was torn between Billy Preston and Brooke Astor for the final spot in my DDP team and played safe with the 104 year old.

just read the news report highlighted above. where there's a will there's always a relative, eh? bet they wouldn't give a toss if he was potless. or crackless. or smackless. or jackless.

alright, enough bad taste. he was a great sideman but no main performer, and to be honest it's amazing that guys like him who cane it so hard get to last so long in the first place. why wasn't he top of everyone's list? i suppose because the reports of his health were almost impossible to find until a court case gets involved.

i reckon any uk press when he dies will centre entirely around the beatles, regardless of his own merits, as that's a reflection of the press. i bet even record collector will go on about his beatles appearances before they mention his own recordings (some of which are very fine, but as i say, not 'star' material).

anyway, everyone knows the fifth sixth and seventh beatles were klaatu.

where there's a will there's always a relative, eh?

I was always taught, "where there's a will, there's a legacy"

I was always taught, "where there's a will, there's a legacy"
That legacy, however, may be negative.

regards,

Hein (who hopes to achieve such a legacy)