Viva Voce

Gene Pitney

Guest Guest
Gene Pitney 24 hours from nowhere

Something's got a hold of his heart

singer Gene Pitney dead at 65.He was famous for the song '24 hours from Tulsa' and did a duet with Marc Almond in the early 90s 'somethings gotta hold of my heart'

singer Gene Pitney dead at 65.He was famous for the song '24 hours from Tulsa' and did a duet with Marc Almond in the early 90s 'somethings gotta hold of my heart'

Looks like a mad rush to be the first to report Pitney's death.

Have to say I'm really surprised that he's died. Especially since he was only 65. Saw him on tv just over a year ago and he looked fine.

Was it just a case of him carking, or was it a John Entwistle-type death with a whore and a bag of cocaine?

Looks like a mad rush to be the first to report Pitney's death.

Have to say I'm really surprised that he's died. Especially since he was only 65. Saw him on tv just over a year ago and he looked fine.

Now is this thread going to be merged into the Near Misses or are Pitney's posts in the Near Misses going to be moved here?

Anyways whatever the case I was quite surprised to read of his death,

I'm guessing it was a heart attack, he looked like a candidate for one.

After reading about him I noticed we had the same birthday. :unsure:

".....And I can never, never, never

Go home again"

What a shame. :unsure:

Was never a fan really. Luckily, he wasn't on my 2007-draft list. Phew!

I used to live 24 minutes from Tulse Hill

Very sad news, :unsure:

I think he deserves his own thread, so threads merged except for the original post by Iain.

Really sorry to hear of this - I always liked his songs, especially the original "Something's Gotten Hold of my Heart".

Performing one minute, dead the next. Meanwhile Haughey, Sharon & Ross Davidson live on. Just shows how random & daft this death lark is sometimes.... :unsure:

Anyway, :rip::(

4 days to make Gene Pitney's coffin from oak, but only 24 hours from balsa.

An interesting fact has emerged about his death. If he had started travelling from Cardiff, it would have taken him just about 24 hours to get to Tulsa.

An interesting fact has emerged about his death. If he had started travelling from Cardiff, it would have taken him just about 24 hours to get to Tulsa.

I'm trying to think what mode of transport would get someone from Cardiff to Tulsa in 24 hours. A plane is too fast, boat is too slow, train wouldn't make it. It's approximately 4,500 miles, so you'd need to travel a little under 200 mph. Maybe by helicopter, if they can fly that far. Or you could refuel in the Azores or something.

Guest Guest

I'm trying to think what mode of transport would get someone from Cardiff to Tulsa in 24 hours. A plane is too fast, boat is too slow, train wouldn't make it. It's approximately 4,500 miles, so you'd need to travel a little under 200 mph. Maybe by helicopter, if they can fly that far. Or you could refuel in the Azores or something.

Car or train to London, plane to the US. Then an internal flight to Tulsa. Dpends on the time of day you leave I suppose.

Also depends on the type of helicopter. I don't know much about helicopters.

It could be possible to make the trip in 24 hours in a Piper Archer which has a cruise speed of 125 - 135 kts which is approximately 150 miles per hour or alternately an RV6 which has a cruise speed of just under 200kts

Car or train to London, plane to the US. Then an internal flight to Tulsa. Dpends on the time of day you leave I suppose.

You'd still get there too quick - 2 hours drive to Heathrow, 2 hours wait, 7 hours to NYC, 2 hours between flights, 2 1/2 hours to Oklahoma City, 2 hour wait, 1/2 hour to Tulsa. That's just 18 hours. Oh wait, I forgot to factor in the 6 freakin' hours it takes to get through US immigration. So Guest is correct.

I was not a big fan of Gene Pitney but what a shocker....

Standing ovation the night before at his concert and dead the next! :(

Rest in peace Gene..... :unsure:

Regards

:rip: VIENNA

XXXX

Bit of a suprise this one. I did think of putting Gene on my 575 name spreadsheet, but after only cancelling a few concerts he was back touring again. Just put his figures together anyway and he was even less likely to die than Cap Wine Burger. Only one person picked Pitney on Rotten.com's deadpool site. Still these sudden deaths are pie in the sky when the going gets tough.

(must work out why I've only had two hits on my DDP being that we've past the quarter way point having done so much more research for this year)

Another pun on one of his song titles (already done to death :D elsewhere): "A Town without Pitney".

I read that he also wrote Bobby Vee's hit "Rubber Ball". Don't think he'll be bouncing back to anyone now!

See Cardiff and die

See Cardiff and die

What with your last joke in the other thread and this, you seem determined to insult as many people as you can!

Excellent work, keep it up.

See Cardiff and die

What with your last joke in the other thread and this, you seem determined to insult as many people as you can!

Thank you. It's nice to be appreciated. :D

See Cardiff and die

Thank you. It's nice to be appreciated. :lol:

A personal grudge against the Welsh Tourist Information people? :D:lol:

See Cardiff and die

Thank you. It's nice to be appreciated. :lol:

A personal grudge against the Welsh Tourist Information people? :D:lol:

Have you ever been to Cardiff?