Sign in to follow this  
Coatlicue

Arthur Lee

Terribly sad news in Billboard today. The frontman of psych-proto-punkers Love, Arthur Lee, is apparently suffering from leukemia.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/articl...t_id=1002313682

Awful shame, seeing as it's only 5 years since the old chap got out of jail, after a very harsh three strikes and you're out judgement.

One for next year, perhaps? West coast whimsy's loss is deathlist's gain?

Dying in a manner of speaking elsewhere, the latest Virgin £3.99 sale is offering shitloads of Love CDs.

Sky Saxon played a few nights in London last year. He was, to put it bluntly, utterly sh*t. Great support band, though their name escapes me for the minute.

SaxTwo.jpg

Roky is still going, mad as a barrel of Syd Barretts, somewhere in Texas. For those who don't know the awful tale of Mr Erickson and the Texas mental health authorities try here

Sky Saxon played a few nights in London last year. He was, to put it bluntly, utterly sh*t. Great support band, though their name escapes me for the minute.

Roky is still going, mad as a barrel of Syd Barretts, somewhere in Texas. For those who don't know the awful tale of Mr Erickson and the Texas mental health authorities try here

I believe Sky's Seeds were actually support TO a great band. Their name escapes me momentarily, also.

When I visited Austin I was regaled with tales of Roky's MOTHER. Apparently she's even more of a 'character' than her son, and was still alive last I heard.

Forever Changes - one of the greatest albums ever made...

...great cover too!

The big message of Deathlist is that we are all equal - we all die - even though some of us are noisier than others before we get around to dying. :D

By all means, let us know how you are coping with life, just don't overdo it! :pop: We are all human after all (probably) and some insightful genius has provided that wonderful 'ignore' button for the faint-hearted to use!

So kiddies, stop bickering and get on with your lives. :o

P.S. Who is/was Arthur Lee? . . . Yes, I've read the thread, but is he famous?

P.S. Who is/was Arthur Lee? . . . Yes, I've read the thread, but is he famous?

Oh ...... very big and very influential. Forever Changes is nearly always in every list of the top 100 albums of all time and has been since the late 60s. Athurly, as he sometimes called himself, was responsible for 95% of the songs and they were usually very good. So maybe not mainstream famous but bigger than Lou Rawls and any number of other so-called celebrities that appear on the list and in the forum; and that includes Dickie O.

Acute lymphobastic leukaemia has a pretty poor prognosis with less than half surviving after chemo - so list him for 2007 (if he makes it that far)

er - what happened to my post about arthurly and his erratic genius, and the prospects of sky, roky, et al also kicking it? was there a reason it was deleted? it must have been there for a while as atj (can i call you that?) starts to talk about sky saxon... and yes, he was bloody awful last year, but then if we're honest didn't we go to watch the freak? anyway, i know it's not really important as such, but if i broke some rules without knowing, can someone tell me so i don't do it again? or did someone find the 'garage rockers need their own dead carpool' joke just too awful to contemplate?

anyway, as i was for once totally on topic, can i just add (again) that given lee's past medical history and abuse record, chances of him making it through treatment are poor, to say the least.

er - what happened to my post about arthurly and his erratic genius, and the prospects of sky, roky, et al also kicking it? was there a reason it was deleted? it must have been there for a while as atj (can i call you that?) starts to talk about sky saxon... and yes, he was bloody awful last year, but then if we're honest didn't we go to watch the freak? anyway, i know it's not really important as such, but if i broke some rules without knowing, can someone tell me so i don't do it again? or did someone find the 'garage rockers need their own dead carpool' joke just too awful to contemplate?

anyway, as i was for once totally on topic, can i just add (again) that given lee's past medical history and abuse record, chances of him making it through treatment are poor, to say the least.

Do you mean this one?

that's the one... how did it end up there... why is that whole chunk in there? what are the criteria for such shame, and who decides? come to that, who cares? but thanks for pointing me in the right direction. technology is very confusing - i'd be far happier if you could get forever changes as a wax cylinder.

Has nayone any ideas or information on the Arthur Lee Benefit at which Robert Plant is expected to be performing? I heared its's scheduled for June 23. does any body know if that too is correct? And who else will be performing?

Has nayone any ideas or information on the Arthur Lee Benefit at which Robert Plant is expected to be performing? I heared its's scheduled for June 23. does any body know if that too is correct? And who else will be performing?

Details here Bruno.

Arthur Lee has undergone a stem cells procedure, so it's wait and see time, but according to doctors his chances of a long term recovery are only 10-20%.

He's got months by the look of this. That treatment buys time more than it saves lives. Might just be a good call for DL 2007, might be ineligable, by means of his own death if Weatherman starts another list at Easter.

Indeed ATJ, a favourite in this home as well. Him and Syd Barrett so close together eh? Sad.

Sorry to hear that Arthur Lee has passed away, I'm going to have to stop describing people to my wife as they seem to die within a couple of weeks of me talking about them to her.

Oh well, crosses Lee off from his list for next year and bumps Captain Beefheart up in his place.

Weird 60s psychedelic death coincidence Number 2.

Remember this....

Very strange.

Last night, while watching Saxondale on TV, I started to strum on my

electric guitar. Towards the end of the jam, I tried out a song on

'The Madcap Laughs' called 'Here I go'. I hadn't played the guitar in months.....

Staying on the Barrett theme, I played a few tracks from his 'Barrett' album

whilst doing some ironing. I hadn't played that album in months.....

Then today, I was at work and this thought came into my head that someone famous

had died, and I immediately went to the BBC News website. Lo and behold....

Yesterday at work apropros of nothing i decided to look at Wikipedia on the band

Love and Arthur Lee in particular.

Lo and behold......

I must stop doing this!

Weird 60s psychedelic death coincidence Number 2.

Remember this....

Very strange.

Last night, while watching Saxondale on TV, I started to strum on my

electric guitar. Towards the end of the jam, I tried out a song on

'The Madcap Laughs' called 'Here I go'. I hadn't played the guitar in months.....

Staying on the Barrett theme, I played a few tracks from his 'Barrett' album

whilst doing some ironing. I hadn't played that album in months.....

Then today, I was at work and this thought came into my head that someone famous

had died, and I immediately went to the BBC News website. Lo and behold....

Yesterday at work apropros of nothing i decided to look at Wikipedia on the band

Love and Arthur Lee in particular.

Lo and behold......

I must stop doing this!

No you need to carry on doing it. you're just targeting the wrong people. Let me give you a fairly direct clue. It's a two word clue, got a pen? ok... here goes... Phil Collins...now off you go, learn some of his tunes and do a bit of research and we'll see what happens :)

Bugger... Syd, Arthur, the Captain can't be far behind...

A few more names for your list, MIB: Chris DeBurgh, Justin Heyward, Bono... I could go on, but those and Collins might go some way towards redressing the balance. Does mean you'll have to look at their pictures or listen to them, though...

It's a dirty job, but you can do it, man.

Well...

Another Green World by Brian Eno was Phil Collins on drums on a few tracks......

I suppose I could give it a go... :lol:

Well, there goes another one from my 2007 provisional list (from position 31st) before I've entered them in any of my deadpool lists.

That's death.

Still, Freddy Fender looks more like he is going this year.