Sign in to follow this  
beebee

Not Totally Off Topic... (?)

I've eaten Guinea pig, rat and locusts.

Tempus, may I ask under what circumstances you consumed rat?

Drunken ones.

Not surprised...I mean, hasn't alcohol been the main reason for us doing a lot of odd things?

There are laws here about eating roadkill (of the animal variety, I would assume): I believe it is legal to eat roadkill within 24 hours of the animal's death. After that, it's illegal.

mmm - roadkill stew!

i wonder how the r.k.e.a (roadkill enforcement agency) establish the time of death. little tiny autopsies or do they put, like little signs with the time of death on roadkills? what about leftovers? can they be frozen for later consumption?

how do they know for sure you didn't just drop a big ole rock on the poor little squirrel? or whack him with a snowshovel?

or for that matter, was the entree even killed on the road? mayhap someone was out 4 wheeling.

these are questions that need to be cleared up, or i would fight all the way to the supreme court, before i would let them take away my roadkill rights!

I've eaten Guinea pig, rat and locusts.

Tempus, may I ask under what circumstances you consumed rat?

Drunken ones.

Oh.

How disappointing.

I thought there might have been some really impressive and interesting reason for your rat consumption. Oh well...

I ate spit roasted dog that had been fed on lobster on Tarawa, Kiribati. Whilst I didn't enjoy it that much, I'd prefer dog to Kentucky Fried Chicken, or Unlucky Fried Kitten, as it is sometimes known.

There are laws here about eating roadkill (of the animal variety, I would assume): I believe it is legal to eat roadkill within 24 hours of the animal's death. After that, it's illegal.

mmm - roadkill stew!

i wonder how the r.k.e.a (roadkill enforcement agency) establish the time of death. little tiny autopsies or do they put, like little signs with the time of death on roadkills? what about leftovers? can they be frozen for later consumption?

how do they know for sure you didn't just drop a big ole rock on the poor little squirrel? or whack him with a snowshovel?

or for that matter, was the entree even killed on the road? mayhap someone was out 4 wheeling.

these are questions that need to be cleared up, or i would fight all the way to the supreme court, before i would let them take away my roadkill rights!

If the squirrel isn't fast enough to get out of the way of the big rock, or the shovel's path, it shouldn't be alive to procreate and pass on its slow and faulty genes. Call it a modified form of natural selection. If all evidence of said squashed squirrel are removed and consumed quickly, then no one has to know, right?

Why squirrel and not rabbit? :)

I ate spit roasted dog that had been fed on lobster on Tarawa, Kiribati.

I always thought suggesting that dog was consumed in China was a kind of racist slur (hmmm... what does that say about me?). But then a few months ago I was chatting with a friend of mine who is from the Sechwan [sp?!] province of China. He told me that dog meat is, in fact, a relatively common/standard thing to eat of a meal. Apparently dog meat is quite filling, and creates a kind of 'warming' sensation in the body.

I'm now quite keen to try it, though I think that if I went to any of the Chinese restaurants here and requested dog meat, I'd be taken for a Health Inspector or something. I ate horse when I went to Sicily. I found it quite tasty - like beef but heavier in the tummy (my tummy, not the horse's tummy). Generally, I am quite keen to try foods that are consumed in other countries/cultures but which are frowned upon in the WASPy West.

Having said that, and although I like to think I might have the balls to do it, I'm not sure I could eat bugs or slugs.

Oh. How disappointing. I thought there might have been some really impressive and interesting reason for your rat consumption. Oh well...

I have never eaten a rat for an impressive or interesting reason, only drunkenly like any normal person.

I know not by what standards you quantify "normal", but I personally have never consumed rat whilst inhebriated. If that makes me abnormal, then so be it.

To me, normal rat consumption would follow along the lines of: whilst kayaking in deepest [insert your own suitably exotic location here], I dined with the indiginous population. We cooked up such local delicacies as Cream of Rat, Fillet of Locust, and Cockroach Consomme.

Much more normal.

Then you have never been truly drunk, or had a pet rat.

Poor little fellow died easily, skinning and roasting him was a lot harder.

Oddly enough, I would have thought the skin to be the best part. Though possibly the filthiest. Although if you were keeping him as a pet, perhaps not.

Was your pet rat's name "Snack"?

I can't remember what his name was, he wasn't my pet rat, (very remiss of me not being able to remember a dinner guests name).

He was someone else's pet, I was merely looking after him.

I think I messed up somewhat.

Ooooh! So when the person for whom you were pet-sitting returned, did you buy another rat and try to pass it off as the original rat?

To me, normal rat consumption would follow along the lines of: whilst kayaking in deepest [insert your own suitably exotic location here], I dined with the indiginous population. We cooked up such local delicacies as Cream of Rat, Fillet of Locust, and Cockroach Consomme.

Much more normal.

Normal rat consumption would be rat-onna-stick, with ketchup. Normal, if you're a dwarf, that is.

regards,

Hein

Tempus, was the guinea pig a pet too?

That's where a friend of mine ate guinea pig too. Don't you have to kill it a certain way?

One lazy college day, a girl I knew was passing around one of these. The person before me bit off the head, but I still got a delicious sampling of the body.

But aside from TF's friend-rat eating story, I think I may have you all you beat.

In the second grade, I ate a little piece of myself. And no, I don't mean fingernails or hair or anything like that, I mean a piece of my left index finger. :lol:

In the second grade, I ate a little piece of myself. And no, I don't mean fingernails or hair or anything like that, I mean a piece of my left index finger. :lol:

Are you tasty?

Are you tasty?

No, it tasted like wet cardboard... basically like chewing on paper.

i used to have to buy rats for lucille, my daughter's snake.

me -"i would like a sack of rats, please."

kid behind counter - "is that for here or to go?"

a word or two of advice - NEVER put a frozen rat in the microwave to thaw.