Jimh

Queen Elizabeth II

14 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Very true but I still think she takes the oath very seriously and believes she should see it out. She has taken steps to reduce her workload and allow Charles to take over more responsibilities and those may extend a little further but I'd be surprised if she'd completely abdicate unless her health deteriorated significantly.

Charles may abdicate, although if you've waited 70+ years for your chance, you'll probably want to enjoy the role for the little time you're going to have anyway. William I'd fully expect to eventually abdicate in line with the precedent of other monarchies worldwide these days.

I think Charles will likely abdicate after a transitional reign. He is nothing if not controversial. He knows his reign will break no records in terms of longevity, so he will be looking for other ways to make history. Starting the tradition of abdication might just do the ticket.

• Like 1

imo Charles will be a surprisingly dull King and last as long as Edward VII did at most before snuffing it.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Windsor said:

I think Charles will likely abdicate after a transitional reign. He is nothing if not controversial. He knows his reign will break no records in terms of longevity, so he will be looking for other ways to make history. Starting the tradition of abdication might just do the ticket.

Potentially so, transitioning to a 50-odd year-old William with children in their late teens/early 20s, ushering in a slightly younger, more 21st Century monarchy.

• Like 1

Considering that both his parents are long-lived Charles could reign for twenty years or more when the time comes, and it wouldn't surprise me if he did. I think he'd have a great capacity for deciding that what suited him was for the good of the nation. (To be fair, that is arguably true from a king's point of view.)

But fate is what it is. He could succeed to the throne, William could die before him, and we could have King George the Seventh* crowned before he was old enough to go into a pub.

(*Or Eighth - some years ago it was suggested that Charles might be titled George the Seventh as king.)

16 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

Did anyone notice that the only photo on her desk was of Prince Charles- heir to the throne.is this a subtle indication that she might be planning to abdicate in 2021 ,possibly following the death of Phillip ? :unsure:

It was a picture of Prince Philip, not Charles.

• Like 2

How very dare you...

• Haha 2

On 26/12/2020 at 20:52, Windsor said:

I've often thought that about Charles. He'll reign for a decade or so and then break the abdication taboo for the British royal family. 

It seems a lot of the other monarchies are trending towards abdication nowadays - Spain, Belgium, Japan in recent years while the Dutch have been doing it for a few generations now. There will probably be more abdications in the next few years (perhaps Norway or Denmark). I think it will be increasingly uncommon to see monarchs die while still on the throne. Liz won't abdicate of course and I think she's got a few more years in her yet.  

• Like 1

Shite pick.

Very active and sprightly for her age.

3 minutes ago, Jeffs said:

It seems a lot of the other monarchies are trending towards abdication nowadays - Spain, Belgium, Japan in recent years while the Dutch have been doing it for a few generations now. There will probably be more abdications in the next few years (perhaps Norway or Denmark). I think it will be increasingly uncommon to see monarchs die while still on the throne. Liz won't abdicate of course and I think she's got a few more years in her yet.  

Yes, but they are all shit. :D

Belgians are part-timers. Spanish are on the way out. Japanese have gone to hippy. 

• Haha 1

Her voice in her Christmas speech was as clear as ever, her mother made it past 100, and I think she is a poor pick because the only thing likely to stop her making 100 as well, would be her grief at the loss of her husband, who is likely to go first.

The Queen remains mentally alert and has the sort of inner strength and fortitude that keeps people going.

1 hour ago, De mortuis nihil nisi bonu said:

Her voice in her Christmas speech was as clear as ever, her mother made it past 100, and I think she is a poor pick because the only thing likely to stop her making 100 as well, would be her grief at the loss of her husband, who is likely to go first.

The Queen remains mentally alert and has the sort of inner strength and fortitude that keeps people going.

I think the whole "she will be so heartbroken when her husband dies" view overstates things. They are hardly Doris and Dennis who have spent every waking moment with each other! They've barely spent any time sharing the same bed throughout their marriage and there are major doubts about whether either have been remotely faithful. It's a business relationship. Nothing wrong with that, better than many marriages!

The death will probably impact the Queen to the same extent Barbara Windsor dying affected June Brown. The loss of a comfy pair of slippers, sure. The loss of an irreplaceable part of her being? Not likely.

• Like 7

At nearly ninety fucking five (on April 21st) people can drop very suddenly and the longest reigning modern monarch would be a big miss.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, arghton said:

At nearly ninety fucking five (on April 21st) people can drop very suddenly and the longest reigning modern monarch would be a big miss.

By that logic why don’t we just compile a DL of 90+ year olds regardless of how healthy they are? 

Oh, wait...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

By that logic why don’t we just compile a DL of 90+ year olds regardless of how healthy they are? 

Oh, wait...

The Queen's an exception, she's by far the most known over 90-year old

3 hours ago, arghton said:

The Queen's an exception, she's by far the most known over 90-year old

Only since the death of Bill Gates Senior, of course.

• Haha 7

2 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

I attended in 2019. Possibly her last garden party? :O

1 hour ago, Windsor said:

You made that much of an impression on her?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Windsor said:

Are you famous?

5 minutes ago, markb4 said:

Are you famous?

Yes.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Windsor said:

Yes.

I won't pry further, lol.

17 minutes ago, markb4 said:

I won't pry further, lol.

I'm in excellent health so my celebrity status (or lack of) would be of no interest anyway. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Windsor said:

A former colleague of mine who was Russian was dating someone who was very big in the local rotary club and he took her to one of these garden parties as his plus 1. Before the event she went round everyone in the lab asking what you wear to such an event. As if we were ever likely to know.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Windsor said:

How was her garden?

4 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

How was her garden?

Was it bushy?