Jimh

Queen Elizabeth II

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

How was her garden?

Well maintained but crowded. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Bet they don't have to wait 12 weeks for the next one. 

Phillip might not have 12 weeks to live :P

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Bet they don't have to wait 12 weeks for the next one. 

You have to for it to work.

• Like 2

On 09/01/2021 at 22:26, Windsor said:

You have to for it to work.

In which case, why did thousands of people get their second dose in late December, three weeks after the first? The 12 week rule has been brought in so that people don't have to wait weeks for their first dose while others get two. 

Today (6th Feb) marks the 69th anniversary of the Queen's Accession to the throne.

(69 LOL)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Windsor said:

Today (6th Feb) marks the 69th anniversary of the Queen's Accession to the throne.

(69 LOL)

The Queen and Prince Philip in a 69. All that loose skin and soiled Tena pants. 

10 hours ago, Windsor said:

(69 LOL)

And the 50th anniversary of the UK adopting decimal currency. Pretty much the first news story that I can remember. 

5 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

And the 50th anniversary of the UK adopting decimal currency. Pretty much the first news story that I can remember. 

Think you’re too early for that anniversary.

February 15th according to this?

3 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Hmmm ... Wikipedia backs you up on that.

The UK had been prepared for it for years, with the 50 pence first appearing in 1968 and the half crown coin disappearing soon afterwards. 

15 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

12 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Hmmm ... Wikipedia backs you up on that.

The UK had been prepared for it for years, with the 50 pence first appearing in 1968 and the half crown coin disappearing soon afterwards. 

I remember it well.  I could still probably 'translate' the old coin of the realm to the new. 

3 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

I remember it well.  I could still probably 'translate' the old coin of the realm to the new. 

For years afterwards, us kids had to put up with oldsters exclaiming "40 pee? That's eight shillings in old money" etc 

• Thanks 1

LSD- pounds, shilling, pence - Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds - Money grabbing McCartney

54 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

For years afterwards, us kids had to put up with oldsters exclaiming "40 pee? That's eight shillings in old money" etc 

I still look at the prices of things and think " FFS 14 shillings for a bag of crisps"?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Cerberus said:

The only reason you don't anymore is because nothing costs less than a quid these days.

17 hours ago, Windsor said:

(69 LOL)

the sex number hahaha!

21 hours ago, Bentrovato said:

The Queen and Prince Philip in a 69. All that loose skin and soiled Tena pants. 

Thanks for making me imagine that.

On 06/02/2021 at 13:05, Paul Bearer said:

I still look at the prices of things and think " FFS 14 shillings for a bag of crisps"? 

Really funny to hear you Brits do that sort of thing as well. Over here across the channel you've got that with the euro introduction, of course, and occasionally you'll hear someone muttering in shock: "50€, that's a hundred Mark!", and presumably the same happens all over the euro zone.

I'm born in 1993 and still got to pay not just with deutschmark, but, on holiday, with francs and shillings (Öschis, not the British sort of course) too, while my cousins all didn't.

43 minutes ago, frleon said:

Really funny to hear you Brits do that sort of thing as well. Over here across the channel you've got that with the euro introduction, of course, and occasionally you'll hear someone muttering in shock: "50€, that's a hundred Mark!", and presumably the same happens all over the euro zone.

I'm born in 1993 and still got to pay not just with deutschmark, but, on holiday, with francs and shillings (Öschis, not the British sort of course) too, while my cousins all didn't.

That's one reason why I used to like going to Austria in the 80s and 90s, as I can remember when there were 20 shillings to a British £, and the exchange rate was usually about 20 Austrian schillings to a £ so it was easy :D

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Toast said:

That's one reason why I used to like going to Austria in the 80s and 90s, as I can remember when there were 20 shillings to a British £, and the exchange rate was usually about 20 Austrian schillings to a £ so it was easy :D

Different but somewhat related story. Some time before the first world war – someone else look it up, please – there was a reform of German coinage. At the time, one mark (Reichsmark then) was worth 1/20 £ (suppose both were tied to silver so the rate was fixed?), and accordingly size and diameter were matched to the British shilling.

This specification of the mark piece survived all the way to 2001. Both world wars and re-unification. It survived the currency reform after hyper-inflation in 1923. The post-war reform in 1948. The design changed so many times and the alloy, too – but diameter and size were unchanged, and the same held true for shilling/5p in the UK till the 5p became smaller in 1990.

The exchange rate, however, changed massively in favour of DM. Hence, my uncles, whenever travelling to the UK, would collect as many 5p as possible and carry a huge jar home – these coins would be accepted by most cigarette machines. For 1DM you'd get six or seven 5p pieces.

• Like 2

The Guardian are being Treasonous with criticism against the monarch.

What’s the point in being Queen if you can’t change laws or, say, direct your daughter-in-law’s vehicle into a wall at high speed?

I think they are being incredibly unfair...

I am a time traveller from 29 november 2046 when queen elizabeth will take the title of the oldest living person at age 120.

• Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1