Jimh

Queen Elizabeth II

Compared to many, probably half of the current monarchs, she's in great health.

Qatar's former Emir, Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani got a kidney transplant in 1997, has been in failing health for a decade due to multiple health issues (including kidney troubles) and survived covid last year. He's used a walking stick for ages and he's younger than Charles.

Morocco's Mohammed VI is even younger (58) but has been ill a lot: Rotavirus and acute dehydration in 2009, bronchitis and an "acute illness", fever of 39.5 degrees in 2014, a "flu syndrome with bronchopulmonary and oropharyngeal disease" in 2015, hospitalised with heart issues and had a heart surgery in 2018, unable to attend Chirac's funeral in 2019 due to a viral lung infection and another heart surgery in 2020.

And there's Saudi Arabia's demented stroke survivor King Salman, Thailand's playboy-former drug user king Vajiralongkorn who spent time in ICU in May and who is rumored to have a blood disease (Leukemia, HIV or Hepatitis C) and on top of all of these, UAE's monarch-president Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan who has been a zombie since suffering a stroke in 2014.

I'd say that she'll go on for around 2-4 years and there'll be a lot of monarchs dying during the next years.

• Like 1

Honestly, you leave a small announcement from Buckingham Palace for a few hours and... Ok, deep breath...

5 hours ago, Brad252 said:

This might not be the end for her, but maybe she is now entering the phase of regular ailments and hospital visits that Prince Philip went through before his time came.

As far as we know she's not suffering from an ailment and she's spent a single night in hospital. She's tired and they did some precautionary tests. Prince Philip had a number of *actual* ailments that he suffered with for a decade - if she's got a decade left I think she's going to be fine.

5 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Will she still be alive in two weeks time. Missing the festival of remembrance will be seen by most as if she is seriously ill
I suspect the next massive announcement will be Charles will be doing the speech this Christmas. 
If she makes it to January 1st she might well be a contender for the top of the list - imagine if she is still dropped and then dies in January 7th ior something. 

Oh bore off. She's 95 years old. She's been doing video audiences this week, in great spirits. She's not at death's door. Missing the Festival of Remembrance is nothing, the BBC article specifically says she's determined to be at the Cenotaph on Remembrance Sunday, and if that's going to happen, she'll need to rest as long as possible - appearing at the Royal Albert Hall with hundreds of other people for a concert the night before isn't taking it easy. And you know all this, you're just posting for reactions at this point.

3 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

I wouldn't read too much into it neither BUT (and it's a big butt) : she's not advised to stay calm for 2 weeks because of a simple headache. The recent news about her health are not panicking but even if she's 95, she would have been able to fulfill her commitments even 3 months ago. Buckingham Palace is telling us the least, as usual, because it's private. But if the least is "she can't go to COP26 + she needs to take a break for 2 weeks + she can't ride horses anymore (which is not a big thing at her age) + she's not able to walk her dogs by herself" then the BIG thing underneath might be a little bit more concerning. The things are not concerning in themselves for a 95 yo women, but the accumulation of it in one week and the fact that it’s only the visible part of the iceberg, is. She'll be fine till 2022 obviously, 2023 also, we'll see… 

As @Ulitzer95 said a few days ago, she's tired! She's had 18 months of very little engagements and then plenty of engagements, which at 95 is not normal. Take a look at the Queen's engagements on the Court Circular between October 1st and the middle of the month. Find me a 95-year-old who could do all that and not get tired. The big thing underneath is the Queen is 95. And if you like the Queen, that is concerning, but we can all read a calendar and we all know the end is coming sooner rather than later, but that doesn't mean anything is accelerating that process (based on everything we know at the moment at least). The reason there's so many things coming out at once is because it's the Queen! Her schedule is packed and when she takes a month off work, lots of things get disrupted.

2 hours ago, MortalCaso said:

Everyone seems very desperate to say this is nothing and she is fine. Obviously something is going on. Fatigue is one thing, but it seems like quite a chain of events no? Since Oct. 20th the negative headlines have been steadily building. Wouldn't be surprised if she retires from official duties in the near future.

See above: when the Queen takes time off, it causes disruption. It doesn't mean she's ill, it means she's staying busy. Also, note that the current advice does not stop her from holding virtual audiences. She's just meant to keep it light. How is her resting on doctors' advice a negative headline? She's 95.Charles attends the State Opening of Parliament, Charles lays the wreath at the Cenotaph, Charles, Anne and William do most of the investitures and Charles and William take on a lot of the representation roles at big events around the country. She's already reduced her official duties considerably, she may reduce them further, I doubt she'll completely retire unless her health deteriorates a good deal further.

1 hour ago, Toast said:

Nonsense.  Are you thinking of the Remembrance Sunday service at the Cenotaph?  She hasn't done the wreath-laying herself for a while now - Charles does it.

The Festival of Remembrance is the concert at the Royal Albert Hall on the Saturday night.   They probably want to limit her going into crowded indoor spaces while infections are still high.

Why would Charles do the Christmas speech?  The Queen is perfectly capable of speaking to camera.

What on earth do you think you're doing talking sense like that in here, Toast? Don't you realise we'll have a new monarch by the end of the month? :lol:

Oh, and by the way, an announcement that the 95-year-old monarch has taken a further two weeks off physical duties to be sure she's up to attending the Cenotaph on Remembrance Sunday has taken up a full page of this thread. We're up to 100 pages already. 200 is the bare minimum this thread's going to reach based on the past fortnight. :facepalm:

• Like 3

I just woke up from a dream where the Union Flag was flying half mast nationwide, lots of riff-raff lining The Mall and the work-shy enjoying a day off. But... that’s enough about Boris.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AnchoredStarling said:

Even though she hasn't done any wreath-laying, she has still been in attendance (albeit watching from a balcony) -- if she isn't well enough to do that it's definitely cause for concern.

There's been no indication that she isn't well enough.  Quite the reverse -  they've said she's determined to be there. 

• Like 2

My guess is she doesn't feel up to being on her feet for as long as she is used to and they hope in a couple of weeks to see an improvement before deciding whether to further scale back her duties.

This is not unexpected for someone at her age who has also had the added toll of recently becoming a widow.

Despite scaling back her public appearances, at 97 her Mum attended Dianas funeral walking with a cane and made it to 101.

We should probably expect as time goes on to see the Queen seated more often in public and when meeting dignitaries etc with Charles taking the lead on more of the larger Ceremonial duties.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, arghton said:

Compared to many, probably half of the current monarchs, she's in great health.

Qatar's former Emir, Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani got a kidney transplant in 1997, has been in failing health for a decade due to multiple health issues (including kidney troubles) and survived covid last year. He's used a walking stick for ages and he's younger than Charles.

Morocco's Mohammed VI is even younger (58) but has been ill a lot: Rotavirus and acute dehydration in 2009, bronchitis and an "acute illness", fever of 39.5 degrees in 2014, a "flu syndrome with bronchopulmonary and oropharyngeal disease" in 2015, hospitalised with heart issues and had a heart surgery in 2018, unable to attend Chirac's funeral in 2019 due to a viral lung infection and another heart surgery in 2020.

And there's Saudi Arabia's demented stroke survivor King Salman, Thailand's playboy-former drug user king Vajiralongkorn who spent time in ICU in May and who is rumored to have a blood disease (Leukemia, HIV or Hepatitis C) and on top of all of these, UAE's monarch-president Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan who has been a zombie since suffering a stroke in 2014.

I'd say that she'll go on for around 2-4 years and there'll be a lot of monarchs dying during the next years.

Any news on the King of Bahrain? You seem very clued up!

5 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Considering his father and father's father didn't get to 70 and his mother died at 74 or 75 and he's now 71, I'm betting that he'll die in his 70s.

Still quite active and seems to be able to walk without assistance, however Bahrain's UN General Assembly speech was done by the foreign affairs minister this year. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree- the lady who has done immeasurable good for the UK has in my honest option earned a fortnights rest. She has had a little bit of light relief during Covid but with the advent of Online meetings she can take the rest needed and appear when needed. 

She’s a good few years in her yet I think going by the Queen Mum and I think we need to remember the Queen Mum like Philip wasn’t in the best of health the last few years. 

Yes we’ll see more from Charles, Anne and Edward in the years to come along with William but that’s not to read into anything.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Don’t encourage this bore.

• Like 3

Working hypothesis: should the Queen appear on the 2022 list?

Arguments
- She is 95 years old.
- She recently lost her husband.
- She has been in a hospital "as a precaution" and should continue to take it easy.
- She has a son who produces nerve-wracking scandals and a granddaughter-in-law who gives frightening interviews.

- There is still a pandemic going on.

OK, I'll put her on my long-list.

• Like 1

For the love of god, someone please lock this fucking thread for a few weeks.

• Thanks 4
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

For the love of god, someone please lock this fucking thread for a few weeks.

QEII hanging by a thread. 

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, WEP said:

Working hypothesis: should the Queen appear on the 2022 list?

Arguments
- She is 95 years old.
- She recently lost her husband.
- She has been in a hospital "as a precaution" and should continue to take it easy.
- She has a son who produces nerve-wracking scandals and a granddaughter-in-law who gives frightening interviews.

- There is still a pandemic going on.

OK, I'll put her on my long-list.

If nothing new comes out until the end of the year, actually no.

• Like 1

Well, duh she should be on the 2022 DL, and the 2023 DL. She's old enough, famous enough and while her health isn't "she'll die tomorrow", she's clearly starting to age. By her standards, which is glacially, of course. 

Bigger question for me is not will the Queen be dropped. It's "when does Pope Francis get on the list"? I feel like he's going downhill at a faster rate than even Benny.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, msc said:

Well, duh she should be on the 2022 DL, and the 2023 DL. She's old enough, famous enough and while her health isn't "she'll die tomorrow", she's clearly starting to age.

And the deathlist would maybe regret to be the only deadpool not picking her when she dies, wouldn't they?

• Like 1

I don't think that the statement from Boris saying that the country wishes her well, bodes well. This reminds me of all the hype and speculation just before Philip's body temperature settled between 2C and 4C. Charles will probably soon be sized up for the St Edward's Crown, the State Coach will have its moving parts greased and the 8 horses will be put through their paces. I wonder if those that have just ended furlough are looking for yet more paid days off? I don't think we'll see another DL without Liz on it, until after the event.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

I think this speculation is just a prologue. I can't image a severe illness will have come out of nowhere for the woman who probably has some of the best medical care available.  Let us reserve judgement until Remembrance Sunday when we are told she will be attending 

2 hours ago, YouOnlyDieOnce said:

I don't think that the statement from Boris saying that the country wishes her well, bodes well.

It's certainly worrying, given that very little of what he says is true.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Toast said:

It's certainly worrying, given that very little of what he says is true.

Have to say that did cross my mind for a minute :D

If there was a poll out there on who would die first out of Johnson or Liz, I'd pick Johnson because he is a fat prick.

That, alone, is a good enough reason, right?

• Like 3

The Queen will live for as many years as there will be pages in this thread.

Also, her mother was on this list for years and years before she died simply because she was too big to miss. It would be embarrassing. 

• Like 3

The two previous cases where children of long lived monarchs succeeded their parents (George IV & Edward VII) both only ruled for 10 years. Do we even think Charles will make that?

5 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

The two previous cases where children of long lived monarchs succeeded their parents (George IV & Edward VII) both only ruled for 10 years. Do we even think Charles will make that?

In November he will be 73. Even if he succeeded now (unlikely) he would have to reign until 83 to make it. He also doesn't look very robust.

I think Charles would abdicate down the line at some stage. The Queen is just of that era where she doesn't see it as proper 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Depends how long the Queen goes on for if she lives as long as her mother did she will be around until late 2027 or early 2028 meaning Charles will 79 going on 80 when the Queen finally goes, if that is the case I can’t see Charles lasting 10 years on the throne as he won’t live as long as his parents have as I don’t think Charles is as healthy as Philip or the Queen were at the same age.