Jimh

Queen Elizabeth II

"The service takes place each year on the Thursday before Easter Sunday, with special coins given to pensioners, with one man and one woman chosen for each year the Queen has lived. "

That means a hand-out and a little chat to 190 people.  Not surprising she's ducked out of it.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

"This horrible pandemic - it does leave one very tired", SAYS THE QUEEN!

Queen not expected to attend Easter Sunday service

The Queen is not expected to attend this year's Easter morning church service, Buckingham Palace has indicated.

The service, at St George's Chapel in Windsor Castle, will be attended by other members of the Royal Family.

The 95-year-old Queen, who has mobility problems, has already pulled out of the Maundy Service on Thursday - the first time she has missed it since 1970.

• Like 1

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10720195/Prince-Harry-Meghan-Markle-make-secret-visit-Queen-Windsor.html

Queen  visited  by estranged grandson and granddaughter in law. I donthink this is a sign of anything in relation to the Queens  health  but there is already  much speculation that Harry  and Meghans  visit  is because the Queen doesn't have much time  left.

My bet is the Queen will announce a regency sometime later this year following the jubilee.

1 hour ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10720195/Prince-Harry-Meghan-Markle-make-secret-visit-Queen-Windsor.html

Queen  visited  by estranged grandson and granddaughter in law. I donthink this is a sign of anything in relation to the Queens  health  but there is already  much speculation that Harry  and Meghans  visit  is because the Queen doesn't have much time  left.

Probably more likely that she hasn't seen either of them in over a year and they didn't bother attending Philip's remembrance service. Would've been quite the snub to come to Europe and not bother to say hello and a stick they were probably keen to avoid being hit with. And the Queen doesn't have much time left. 10 years max. 5 years more likely.

1 hour ago, Sean said:

My bet is the Queen will announce a regency sometime later this year following the jubilee.

If she was fit to announce a regency there would be no need for a regency.  I think she'll just continue delegating most duties to Charles et al. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoverAndOut said:

Probably more likely that she hasn't seen either of them in over a year and they didn't bother attending Philip's remembrance service. Would've been quite the snub to come to Europe and not bother to say hello and a stick they were probably keen to avoid being hit with. And the Queen doesn't have much time left. 10 years max. 5 years more likely.

But it surely undermines their courtcase against the home office that they chose to visit now?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

But it surely undermines their courtcase against the home office that they chose to visit now?

Under the radar visit announced after they've already left. Harry's argument is they require protection if they came over for an extended period.

1 hour ago, RoverAndOut said:

Under the radar visit announced after they've already left. Harry's argument is they require protection if they came over for an extended period.

Is that what his legal  papers say because  I genuinely don't recall his case being conditional on an extended visit?

I think something different is happening.  If he theoretical were to win this case  he would by implication have to be a IPP  internationally  protected person.  If he wins the lawyers will then move the goalposts and say the home office is effectively  conceding he is an ipp so he should receive  free security and accommodation  wherever  he goes as an ipp as is the custom all over the world.

I thing this case is a ruse. 

6 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Is that what his legal  papers say because  I genuinely don't recall his case being conditional on an extended visit?

I think something different is happening.  If he theoretical were to win this case  he would by implication have to be a IPP  internationally  protected person.  If he wins the lawyers will then move the goalposts and say the home office is effectively  conceding he is an ipp so he should receive  free security and accommodation  wherever  he goes as an ipp as is the custom all over the world.

I thing this case is a ruse. 

You may be right, I'll be honest, I've stopped reading the who's, why's and wherefores of the Harry and Meghan saga. My guess is it's significant that it's only been announced they visited after they've already left, which must surely have some implications for security.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

You may be right, I'll be honest, I've stopped reading the who's, why's and wherefores of the Harry and Meghan saga. My guess is it's significant that it's only been announced they visited after they've already left, which must surely have some implications for security.

Possibly  yes.   I just hope Harry is not vicious in his book attacking  the royal  family A 96 year old woman does not need that experience and hurt on the best of days.

I hope he surprises me and the book is mature, measured and reflective. 

I don't particularly like or trust  Harry but if seeing her grandson  on a visit and hopefully  being happy and satisfied that there will be some feeling or sense of calm  in her family afterwards  gives the Queen some peace of mind then that is all to the good .

• Like 1

On 14/04/2022 at 22:43, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Those of us oldies who care to remember….a disgraced, ex member of the. Royal Family now exiled abroad suddenly and surprisingly has a meet up with Queen Elizabeth II…something thought impossible until then.

The occasion? HM Queen visiting her uncle, the former monarch The Duke of Windsor, in Paris in 1972.

10 days after her visit he died.

Just observing.

• Like 2

As someone who has estranged relatives, I don't think the term means what the Mail thinks it does. They don't stay in touch, or visit, or even go to funerals.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SovietJohnny said:

Those of us oldies who care to remember….a disgraced, ex member of the. Royal Family now exiled abroad suddenly and surprisingly has a meet up with Queen Elizabeth II…something thought impossible until then.

The occasion? HM Queen visiting her uncle, the former monarch The Duke of Windsor, in Paris in 1972.

Just observing.

But in this case it was the disgraced ex member of the Royal Family now exiled abroad who did the visiting.

I prefer to think he was summoned and given an earbashing.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Toast said:

But in this case it was the disgraced ex member of the Royal Family now exiled abroad who did the visiting.

I prefer to think he was summoned and given an earbashing.

I think this is more a PR exercise. Trying to limit discussion of a rift in the family. I think if Harry thought this was the last time he was going to see his Grandma he would have brought the kids. This was popping in because he was in the area.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I think this is more a PR exercise. Trying to limit discussion of a rift in the family. I think if Harry thought this was the last time he was going to see his Grandma he would have brought the kids. This was popping in because he was in the area.

And it was a great achievement:  they avoided the paps and the British Media.   It's refreshing to have a members of the family who are not in cahoots with the tabloids.

14 minutes ago, Doulton said:

And it was a great achievement:  they avoided the paps and the British Media.   It's refreshing to have a members of the family who are not in cahoots with the tabloids.

Not really.  The area was closed to all but the people involved in the Maundy ceremony.  It was timed to deny them any photo opportunity :D

Was on Thursday they visited if so how did they know granny was home. I think it was planned a long time ago.

Harold must surely know how important Maundy Thursday is to her

9 minutes ago, Redrumours said:

Was on Thursday they visited if so how did they know granny was home. I think it was planned a long time ago.

Harold must surely know how important Maundy Thursday is to her

You've answered your own question.   The Maundy ceremony was held at Windsor Castle this year. 

5 minutes ago, Toast said:

You've answered your own question.   The Maundy ceremony was held at Windsor Castle this year. 

Yes it all turned out to be very convenient what with Charles there representing the Queen.

12 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10724955/Palace-say-public-assume-Queen-wont-attend-public-events-mobility-issues.html

According to reports  in the Mail the Palace  has said it should be assumed  that The Queen  now won't attend  public events unless stated  otherwise. 

This doesn’t surprise me one bit in the slightest The Queen is turning 96 in 5 days and after the loss of Prince Phillip her mental health and physical went down by a ton in the year following. I won’t be surprised at all if she would need a therapist or counselor to help her heal and get rid of her stress and I honestly think that she might have depression due to the death but it’s not severe enough for her to get help but the health and stress bit yes she needs help and she needs it big time.

9 hours ago, SovietJohnny said:

Just observing.

You're not observing anything. You are comparing two totally different scenarios. In one a niece visited a cancer stricken uncle when she happened to be in France. In another a grandson who lives in the USA visited his grandmother when he was in Europe. 

Why is it so difficult for 'observers' to understand that she is 95 years old, 96 in 5 days time. How many 95 year olds do you know who are upright and able to the stand long enough to present 190 sets of fucking coins.

She's fucking old. Not dying. Just fucking old and will survive long enough in her armchair.

• Like 5