Jimh

Queen Elizabeth II

Looking good in today’s pic with the Swiss President.

She’ll become the world’s 3rd longest reigning sovereign monarch in 10 days time.

• Like 2

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10763325/Smiling-Queen-stands-unaided-holds-face-face-audience-president-Switzerland.html

@Ulitzer95 Yes sounds and looks very positive or reassuring.  As the Daily Mail emphasises  standing unaided for the visit.

I think reports of her demise have been greatly exaggerated as the saying goes .

• Like 3

For anyone who didn't know, it's exactly 2 years until she would surpass Louis 14 as the worlds longest reigning monarch. I'm finding it hard to think she'll last that long, however. :wheelchair:

9 hours ago, Miranda lass said:

For anyone who didn't know, it's exactly 2 years until she would surpass Louis 14 as the worlds longest reigning monarch. I'm finding it hard to think she'll last that long, however:wheelchair:

Then you need to open your eyes and apply some common sense, hen. 

People can live longer while vegetating in their own piss, yet because she needs a stick she's brown bread? Get a grip. She'll live to be 100 and more.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 2

On 30/04/2022 at 23:08, Gooseberry Crumble said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10771337/The-Queen-appearing-balcony-Platinum-Jubilee-no-means-guaranteed-mobility.html

Palace insider warns that the Queen appearing on the Buckingham Palace balcony  for the platinum jubilee is far from guaranteed. 

I can guarantee it. She'll be there. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Windsor said:

I can guarantee it. She'll be there. 

Oooh  interesting! I hope she is but what makes you so confident?

Just now, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Oooh  interesting! I hope she is but what makes you so confident?

Because its her fucking job. :D

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Windsor said:

Then you need to open your eyes and apply some common sense, hen. 

People can live longer while vegetating in their own piss, yet because she needs a stick she's brown bread? Get a grip. She'll live to be 100 and more.

Some people seem  to assume that  people fade out and die quickly.  The reality is quite different  the majority of the time.  Poor mobility  and the inevitable fading away can last a decade. 

5 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Some people seem  to assume that  people fade out and die quickly.  The reality is quite different  the majority of the time.  Poor mobility  and the inevitable fading away can last a decade. 

If that ever becomes me I'd be trying to arrange an "Old Man's friend party", if there is such a thing, in the hope that I can be put out of my misery before all that suffering and expense happens. Somehow don't think the Queen would do this.

A healthy 96-year-old reaching 100 is never guaranteed, but she's still very active and looks great in that picture posted a few days ago: I would say that there is currently no need to worry about her health. 

• Like 4

I think it’s remarkable how well she’s doing; Crem read her last rites ages ago now.

• Haha 6

I'm beginning to wonder how she will manage with the state opening of Parliament which is what, late October? Some way off yet. If she can get by with a stick all well and good but I can't imagine her agreeing to be wheeled into the House. This is one of her biggest gigs of the year, so if Charles has to stand in for her we'll effectively have the beginning of a regency. 

15 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

I'm beginning to wonder how she will manage with the state opening of Parliament which is what, late October? Some way off yet. If she can get by with a stick all well and good but I can't imagine her agreeing to be wheeled into the House. This is one of her biggest gigs of the year, so if Charles has to stand in for her we'll effectively have the beginning of a regency. 

Charles did it last year as well did he  not ? 

That may have been to Covid issues of course

1 hour ago, TQR said:

I think it’s remarkable how well she’s doing; Crem read her last rites ages ago now.

It's remarkable that a woman who's the monarch that doctors are trying to keep alive 24/7 is alive?  Not really.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DaDeathGuy said:

It's remarkable that a woman who's the monarch that doctors are trying to keep alive 24/7 is alive?  Not really.

203844D3-B2EA-4864-881F-3AE66A0F339D.gif.403c88d005333b809bf3772a7dae283f.gif

2 minutes ago, TQR said:

203844D3-B2EA-4864-881F-3AE66A0F339D.gif.403c88d005333b809bf3772a7dae283f.gif

Yep, high I.Q. posts going on around the Deathlist.

10 minutes ago, DaDeathGuy said:

Yep, high I.Q. posts going on around the Deathlist.

Thank you for recognising mine!

1 hour ago, Cerberus said:

Delegating jobs does not amount to a regency. 

The word "regent" is related to reign.  From the OED:

A person appointed to administer the affairs of a country or state during the minority, absence, or incapacity of the monarch.

"Incapacity" generally means mental incapacity, as in the case of George III.  As long as the Queen is capable of going through her red boxes in the mornings, she'll carry on.

2 hours ago, Toast said:

Delegating jobs does not amount to a regency. 

The word "regent" is related to reign.  From the OED:

A person appointed to administer the affairs of a country or state during the minority, absence, or incapacity of the monarch.

"Incapacity" generally means mental incapacity, as in the case of George III.  As long as the Queen is capable of going through her red boxes in the mornings, she'll carry on.

Deal or no deal?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cerberus said:

I'm beginning to wonder how she will manage with the state opening of Parliament which is what, late October? Some way off yet. If she can get by with a stick all well and good but I can't imagine her agreeing to be wheeled into the House.  

That would be the 10th May, dear.

She will confirm whether or not she's doing it on the day.

Thought it was always after the long summer recess? You live and learn. 

• Like 1

Opening of Parliament was changed to spring around 2010. But wouldn't it be enough for her just to show up to the actual House of Lords and read the speech? Procession through the Royal Gallery is hardly a necessity. They could just smuggle her to appear from some suitable side door, since she can clearly walk some distance on a good day. Or then they could close the Royal Gallery from media and public for "security reasons" and wheel her to the door she usually uses.

Just been announced she won’t be attending any garden parties this summer. 

• Like 2