Jimh

Queen Elizabeth II

I'm rather disappointed with her stubbornness concerning wheelchairs. After all, Queen Victoria finally bit the bullet and was depicted (in drawings) visiting wounded soldiers in a wheelchair. And she was not completely bound to one either. She managed to walk to the Frogmore Mausoleum 14th of December 1900 (assisted by the Prince of Wales) about five weeks before her death, and probably also regularly was able to manage short distances (e.g. to toilet) with the help of her dressers.

image.png.9ac14efdc3f6c7405506f2a3931da3e9.png

Edited by Talkative Finn
Adding more information
  • Like 8

I wonder what the odds are of her croaking before the Jubilee public holiday? She's already wimped out of some of her garden parties. For God's sake woman, get a damn wheelchair, at least you can have the Rolls Royce logo put on it or a horses tail. Margaret wasn't as vain.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, YouOnlyDieOnce said:

I wonder what the odds are of her croaking before the Jubilee public holiday? She's already wimped out of some of her garden parties. For God's sake woman, get a damn wheelchair, at least you can have the Rolls Royce logo put on it or a horses tail. Margaret was too pissed to care.

FTFY

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, YouOnlyDieOnce said:

I wonder what the odds are of her croaking before the Jubilee public holiday? She's already wimped out of some of her garden parties. For God's sake woman, get a damn wheelchair, at least you can have the Rolls Royce logo put on it or a horses tail. Margaret wasn't as vain.

I think her not wanting to use a wheelchair comes from her mother not wanting to use one but it’s her choice.

I know from numerous personal examples that people can be very, very unwilling to use a wheelchair.  Part of it seems to be the idea that it represents loss of control and independence, and a surrender to incapacity. 

Of course the other side of the coin is that it enables them to do things and go places that they couldn't otherwise manage, and I would have thought the Queen would be practical enough to take that attitude.  I can see why the garden party schtick would be a pain from a wheelchair though.  Going around chatting from person to person, she would definitely want to be in control of when to move on.

• Like 4

Reports saying she wants to go the state opening but Charles is on standby incase she feels she can’t. 

Also an interesting report in the Telegraph about the planning for the Ascension council the day Charles succeeds to the throne. Made it sound like it could happen quite soon. 

Means fuck all IMO. Just cutting out needless numbers ahead of time rather than causing rows further down the line. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Reports saying she wants to go the state opening but Charles is on standby incase she feels she can’t. 

Also an interesting report in the Telegraph about the planning for the Ascension council the day Charles succeeds to the throne. Made it sound like it could happen quite soon. 

How many months has she survived your terminal pancreatic cancer diagnosis for now?

• Like 3

On 05/05/2022 at 15:31, Toast said:

I know from numerous personal examples that people can be very, very unwilling to use a wheelchair.  Part of it seems to be the idea that it represents loss of control and independence, and a surrender to incapacity. 

Of course the other side of the coin is that it enables them to do things and go places that they couldn't otherwise manage, and I would have thought the Queen would be practical enough to take that attitude.  I can see why the garden party schtick would be a pain from a wheelchair though.  Going around chatting from person to person, she would definitely want to be in control of when to move on.

Perhaps her cunning plan was overruled :huh:

image.thumb.png.780c390987661aaa5139debac1f86224.png

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

1. Not news about the State Opening of Parliament. We know that in all cases now the Queen decides on the day if she will be carrying out a potential engagement. Case in point, she hasn't even committed to being seen on the balcony for her own Jubilee. 

2. Matters regarding the succession are constantly under review, including funeral plans which have been in place for decades.

In short, there still isn't proof she is going to keel over imminently.

• Like 2

On 05/05/2022 at 10:41, Talkative Finn said:

I'm rather disappointed with her stubbornness concerning wheelchairs. After all, Queen Victoria finally bit the bullet and was depicted (in drawings) visiting wounded soldiers in a wheelchair. And she was not completely bound to one either. She managed to walk to the Frogmore Mausoleum 14th of December 1900 (assisted by the Prince of Wales) about five weeks before her death, and probably also regularly was able to manage short distances (e.g. to toilet) with the help of her dressers.

image.png.9ac14efdc3f6c7405506f2a3931da3e9.png

Queen Victoria did fuck all for much of the last 40 years of her reign because she was too sad. 

She also didn't have to worry about wankers on internet forms looking at the pictures and concluding that she needs the wheelchair because she has pancreatic cancer...

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

As it is now Monday, the Queen has overtaken Johan II of Liechtenstein to become the world's 3rd longest reigning sovereign monarch in recorded history.

In 35 days from now, she'll overtake Rama IX of Thailand to become the 2nd.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

As it is now Monday, the Queen has overtaken Johan II of Liechtenstein to become the world's 3rd longest reigning sovereign monarch in recorded history.

She will almost certainly outdo the former king of Thailand but the real question is can she best Louis XIV?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

In 35 days she will have the longest reign in world history on account of that wee French prick having a regency until he acquired some pubes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Windsor said:

In 35 days she will have the longest reign in world history on account of that wee French prick having a regency until he acquired some pubes. 

then she technically already is, because the Thai King also had a regency in his early reign.

Pulls out of State Opening of Parliament due to episodic mobility issues. 

I like to think it’s because she’s had enough of this bollocks.

• Like 2

I think this makes it more likely she won't physically be at any of the Platinum jubilee events, or at best a brief appearance somewhere (like the Buckingham Palace balcony).

BBC News: Queen hands over to Charles for State Opening of Parliament

The Queen has pulled out of this year's State Opening of Parliament and the reading of the Queen's speech, Buckingham Palace has announced.

This will be the first time since 1963 that the Queen will have missed this constitutional ceremony, which sets out the government's legislative plans.

Prince Charles will deliver the speech on Tuesday for the Queen.

• Shocked 1

Oh dear, she'll move into home hospice care at any minute now.

• Haha 1

Not surprising at all, but if the speech is written by officials at No. 10, and delivered by the Prince of Wales, in what sense is it 'the Queen's Speech?'

For all we know, she hasn't even read it. 

• Like 1