Jimh

Queen Elizabeth II

"episodic mobility issues" - is that the same as "evacuating her bowels sporadically"?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cerberus said:

Not surprising at all, but if the speech is written by officials at No. 10, and delivered by the Prince of Wales, in what sense is it 'the Queen's Speech?'

For all we know, she hasn't even read it. 

Her Majesty's Government will introduce legislation to enact the Regency Act...

Her Majesty's Government will introduce legislation for Her Majesty's Abdication...

Come on Charles, you can do it. That deathlist poll even said so...

• Haha 2

On 28/04/2022 at 14:02, Ulitzer95 said:

Looking good in today’s pic with the Swiss President.

She’ll become the world’s 3rd longest reigning sovereign monarch in 10 days time.

It'll be a bit of a bummer if she's a day short.

• Confused 1

Ma'am, to leave a good legacy, can you at least fire that wanker Boris Johnson while you can still speak?

"i dedicate my life to my duty as Queen of this country.....

......but i won't go in a bloody wheelchair as its bad for ones image"

I'm sorry but for fucksake. You can't do the whole ones life role and you won't abdicate because its your duty and then not do your job because you dont want to be seen in a bloody wheelchair. I'm not arsed if your mum didnt like being seen in a wheelchair she wasnt the monarch back then.

Whats the point in the head of state holding on forever saying its her frigging duty and she wouldnt have the shame of abdication because she can't have the shame of being in a wheelchair. There is absolutely no value in her being monarch anymore (isnt the monarchy now just about the whole show and she cant even be wheeled out to do it?)

So its either complete selfishness not going into a wheelchair to be wheeled out and completely making her whole "promise" a load of shite or she's seriously ill.

Pick your side chaps

• Angry 1
  • Facepalm 2

23 minutes ago, LovelyVincent said:

I'm sorry but for fucksake. You can't do the whole ones life role and you won't abdicate because its your duty and then not do your job because you dont want to be seen in a bloody wheelchair. I'm not arsed if your mum didnt like being seen in a wheelchair she wasnt the monarch back then.

Whats the point in the head of state holding on forever saying its her frigging duty and she wouldnt have the shame of abdication because she can't have the shame of being in a wheelchair. There is absolutely no value in her being monarch anymore (isnt the monarchy now just about the whole show and she cant even be wheeled out to do it?)

So its either complete selfishness not going into a wheelchair to be wheeled out and completely making her whole "promise" a load of shite or she's seriously ill.

Pick your side chaps

There is no side to pick.

She is 96 and has gradually become less active, her son and grandson have been taking on duties that she once did.

This is a point of transition from Queen to King.

She could abdicate and leave her family to figure it all out, pretty much as she had to when her father died, or help them settle into the roles they are going to be taking, sooner rather than later.

She is putting things into place for when she is no longer here and, seriously, she doesn't have long now.

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

There is no side to pick.

She is 96 and has gradually become less active, her son and grandson have been taking on duties that she once did.

This is a point of transition from Queen to King.

She could abdicate and leave her family to figure it all out, pretty much as she had to when her father died, or help them settle into the roles they are going to be taking, sooner rather than later.

She is putting things into place for when she is no longer here and, seriously, she doesn't have long now.

yep fair play but cant she announce a regency? 

Wait she keeps stating she won't as her "life is duty" and yet if its only mobility issues this is purely a pride issue? I know she's 96 and fair play but just announce the regency or abdication then. lets be honest the monarchy is purely a theatre show now. It can't function without its lead actor

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

7 hours ago, LovelyVincent said:

yep fair play but cant she announce a regency? 

Wait she keeps stating she won't as her "life is duty" and yet if its only mobility issues this is purely a pride issue? I know she's 96 and fair play but just announce the regency or abdication then. lets be honest the monarchy is purely a theatre show now. It can't function without its lead actor

1. As has been mentioned several times, regency is for mental incapacity, usually due to infancy or senility. The Queen is still on top of all her government briefing documents and continues to carry out both virtual and in person audiences with dignitaries from a variety of sectors.

2. As LFN stated, part of this is choreographed. The idea the monarchy "can't function without its lead actor" is precisely the issue. The lead actor is on the way out in the next few years. Seeing Charles take the lead in things like the laying of wreaths at the Cenotaph and, now, the Queen's Speech is simply ensuring that when the Queen passes, the jolt to public life will be (slightly) less sudden, as we are used to Charles performing these functions instead of the Queen.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, LovelyVincent said:

Pick your side chaps

As far as we know she's still performing her official duties, still meeting with the PM, still meeting with other dignitaries and, most importantly, is not going senile  She's just offloading the more ceremonial stuff to the younger Royals.  Seems perfectly logical to me in view of her advanced age.  We hope that all it is is "mobility issues" (I'll be happy to be breathing at 96!) and not a cover up for something more serious, but honestly she just looks old and frail and not a living corpse like Prince Philip did near the end of his life.  So yeah, it'd be nice if she was seen out and about even if it was in a wheelchair and I don't think many people would begrudge a very old lady wanting to use one, but it's all about the image I guess.

• Like 1

I never realised you get so many cars parked in the Sovereign's entrance, never mind with a Black Rod ensconced there.

O'Connor, Williams & Co., Est. 2016 — psych consulting … Kenneth Williams  and Charles...

Fun fact on the 6 o'clock News: apparently, it was under the terms of the 1937 Regency Act that Charles was able to deliver the Queen's Speech today. It is a limited usage and a temporary invocation, due to her mobility issues, but nothing more permanent is expected. So, in other words, whenever Charles fulfils a state function in place of the Queen, we will essentially live under a brief regency.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Fun fact on the 6 o'clock News: apparently, it was under the terms of the 1937 Regency Act that Charles was able to deliver the Queen's Speech today. It is a limited usage and a temporary invocation, due to her mobility issues, but nothing more permanent is expected. So, in other words, whenever Charles fulfils a state function in place of the Queen, we will essentially live under a brief regency.

Thats technically not true as those parts of the regency act hand him no decision making powers. He is only performing a task rather than exercising a sovereign power. Power remains entirely with the Monarch and as such, there is no regency. 

3 minutes ago, Windsor said:

Thats technically not true as those parts of the regency act hand him no decision making powers. He is only performing a task rather than exercising a sovereign power. Power remains entirely with the Monarch and as such, there is no regency. 

Point taken. But the power to perform the task is provided to him via the terms of the 1937 Regency Act, as stated below:

Power to delegate royal functions to Counsellors of State.

(1)In the event of illness not amounting to such infirmity of mind or body as is mentioned in section two of this Act, or of absence or intended absence from the United Kingdom, the Sovereign may, in order to prevent delay or difficulty in the despatch of public business, by Letters Patent under the Great Seal, delegate, for the period of that illness or absence, to Counsellors of State such of the royal functions as may be specified in the Letters Patent, and may in like manner revoke or vary any such delegation:

Provided that no power F1... to grant any rank, title or dignity of the peerage may be delegated.

2 hours ago, Windsor said:

The Queen has zero decision making powers though?

20 hours ago, zerbey said:

As far as we know she's still performing her official duties, still meeting with the PM, still meeting with other dignitaries and, most importantly, is not going senile  She's just offloading the more ceremonial stuff to the younger Royals.  Seems perfectly logical to me in view of her advanced age.  We hope that all it is is "mobility issues" (I'll be happy to be breathing at 96!) and not a cover up for something more serious, but honestly she just looks old and frail and not a living corpse like Prince Philip did near the end of his life.  So yeah, it'd be nice if she was seen out and about even if it was in a wheelchair and I don't think many people would begrudge a very old lady wanting to use one, but it's all about the image I guess.

She should use a nobility scooter

• Like 4
  • Haha 11
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, Bibliogryphon said:

She should use a nobility scooter

:clap:

• Like 4

FSoNwJxXwAAozyL?format=jpg&name=large

Wee old lady gets nice wee trip out to see some horses.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, msc said:

I nearly didn't recognise her in that disguise. B)

3 hours ago, msc said:

Using the Royal wee there, are we?

"That's a long way to go in the middle of the night!" (Eric Morecambe, I think) 

27 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Using the Royal wee there, are we?

"That's a long way to go in the middle of the night!" (Eric Morecambe, I think) 

"She opened the door in her dressing gown. Funny place to put a door, I thought." (Chic Murray)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Turns up at the Platinum celebration live on ITV. 

• Like 1

We even saw brief footage of her getting out of the car and walking with a stick before photos of the Queen on various horses were shown.