Jimh

Queen Elizabeth II

31 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Makes Surprise appearance at the opening of the Elizabeth Line in London

I like the idea that she can suddenly jump out of a box and say "Boo!"

• Haha 5

27 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10845867/Buckingham-Palace-confirms-Queen-attend-Chelsea-Flower-Show.html

The Queen seen for the first time in public using a mobility buggy. 

She is at the Chelsea Flower show.

In her defence, have you ever been to the Chelsea Flower Show? Stretches and winds for what feels like miles.

I’m going there on Wednesday. I’m in my 30s and if they have a buggy on offer, I’ll take it.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

In her defence, have you ever been to the Chelsea Flower Show? Stretches and winds for what feels like miles.

I’m going there on Wednesday. I’m in my 30s and if they have a buggy on offer, I’ll take it.

Oh I think it's a positive thing because there has been some talk she would never be seen in public in a wheelchair or Queen Mum style mobile  as she was too reluctant .So if as it seems that transpires not to be true all to the good.  I think  such choices  are likely to extend life rather than be seen as a sign of imminent or sad decline. 

Enjoy the Chelsea Flower show!

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Oh I think it's a positive thing because there has been some talk she would never be seen in public in a wheelchair or Queen Mum style mobile  as she was too reluctant .So if as it seems that transpires not to be true all to the good.  I think  such choices  are likely to extend life rather than be seen as a sign of imminent or sad decline. 

Enjoy the Chelsea Flower show!

According to the BBC article, she has been seen in a buggy twice before, back in 2013 and 2011, so it's not an entirely novel experience. Quite possibly one we'll see more often when out and about. But good luck getting it into Westminster Abbey. :lol:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

According to the BBC article, she has been seen in a buggy twice before, back in 2013 and 2011, so it's not an entirely novel experience. Quite possibly one we'll see more often when out and about. But good luck getting it into Westminster Abbey. :lol:

Now I have images of her using the buggy to run over Tory ministers. "Oops, excuse one, one is old and frail. Hehehe!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

On 13/03/2022 at 15:10, Redrumours said:

The Queen Mother nearly mowed me down at Ascot Racecourse in her Popemobile on June 20th 2001.

I wonder what happened to that?

3 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/18673841/queen-stands-unaided-emir-qatar-jubilee/

The Queen stands unaided again today as she meets the Emir of Qatar .

God almighty. Could it possibly be that she only needs the stick if she is walking a distance as opposed to walking from that chair over there?

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Windsor said:

God almighty. Could it possibly be that she only needs the stick if she is walking a distance as opposed to walking from that chair over there?

Very possibly! But I have always been sceptical about claims the Queen is on her deathbed and some people have more or less proclaimed she was at a stage in life were  even doing what we see in that links photo was now beyond  her!

When we no longer see these photos that would be a time to maybe be concerned. 

According to the well sourced royal commentator  Lady Colin Campbell the Queen has chosen to  initiate a form of semi regency  now and this well understood by senior palace courtiers with a plan in place.

I am still pretty much firmly in team the odds are in favour of the Queen  reaching 100.

• Like 2

Went to the pub at lunchtime (funeral baked meats) and was alarmed by a life-sized cardboard figure of HM the Queen just inside the bar.  :o

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Very possibly! But I have always been sceptical about claims the Queen is on her deathbed and some people have more or less proclaimed she was at a stage in life were  even doing what we see in that links photo was now beyond  her!

When we no longer see these photos that would be a time to maybe be concerned. 

According to the well sourced royal commentator  Lady Colin Campbell the Queen has chosen to  initiate a form of semi regency  now and this well understood by senior palace courtiers with a plan in place.

I am still pretty much firmly in team the odds are in favour of the Queen  reaching 100.

If you every call Lady Colin Campbell well sourced I will feel the need to slap you.

If she was that well sourced she wouldn't have to go by the name Colin, just to sponge off her dead ex-husband's title. She is a nobody. A gossip merchant. Someone who, because of said dead ex-husband's title, is handy for tabloids and other to quote as well sourced and credible when, in actual fact, she is a nobody who nobody in royal circles would give a second glance.

Fair play to her though; it more than pays the mortgage. 

Edit: he's apparently still alive. Poor fucker. 

• Like 1

On 24/05/2022 at 23:17, Windsor said:

It would seem that understandably the Palace are playing it safe to prevent her majesty falling which for a 96 with mobility issues is sensible.Most 96 year olds can't walk far and the Queen is no exception.I am pretty sure she has arthritis and probably osteoporosis and is  a falls risk and likely to suffer a serious injury if she does .Most people that have mobility problems and use a wheelchair due to age can stand unaided and walk a few steps.Falls can spiral old people into a rapid decline so it makes sense to prevent them and avoid any injuries that make mobility worse.

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

1 minute ago, Sean said:

It would seem that u derstandably the Palace are playing it safe to prevent her majesty falling which for a 96 with mobility issues is sensible.Most 96 year olds can't walk far and the Queen is no exception.I am pretty sure she has arthritis and probably osteoporosis and is  a falls risk and likely to suffer a serious injury if she does .Most people that have mobility problems and use a wheelchair due to age can stand unaided and walk a few steps.Falls can spiral old people into a rapid decline so ot makes sense to prevent them and avoid any injuries that make mobility worse.

Someone suggested to me it could've been a hip operation gone wrong. She had that night in hospital with no explanation, remember.

To be fair the said person was even less well informed than Lady Colin Campbell...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Windsor said:

If you every call Lady Colin Campbell well sourced I will feel the need to slap you.

If she was that well sourced she wouldn't have to go by the name Colin, just to sponge off her dead ex-husband's title. She is a nobody. A gossip merchant. Someone who, because of said dead ex-husband's title, is handy for tabloids and other to quote as well sourced and credible when, in actual fact, she is a nobody who nobody in royal circles would give a second glance.

Fair play to her though; it more than pays the mortgage. 

Edit: he's apparently still alive. Poor fucker. 

Most of what she said in her books especially  Charles and Diana  in the early 1990s and Harry and Meghan  holds up pretty well over time accuracy  wise.

39 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Most of what she said in her books especially  Charles and Diana  in the early 1990s and Harry and Meghan  holds up pretty well over time accuracy  wise.

Yeah but you could have written a book about Diana in the 90s and had a similar track record based off the bloody obvious.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, msc said:

Yeah but you could have written a book about Diana in the 90s and had a similar track record based off the bloody obvious.

She wrote her book in 1990 and most of what she revealed was ridiculed as absurd  but subsequently  turned out to be true.

She wrote a lot more and tremendously more detail  than Charles and Diana are in an unhappy marriage. 

She was Princess Dianas first choice  to write a book about  her ahead of Andrew Morton  and Diana only switched away from her after initially  giving several sit down interviews after  Lady Colin Campbell pointed out inconsistencies  in Dianas interviews. 

Diana had decided she wanted the book to be a hatchet job on Prince Charles and Lady Colin Campbell refused  to do that.

This has all been well documented at the time. 

• Like 1

The Queen clearly well enough to make a quick journey to Balmoral.

No word if the Scottish First Minister has visited, but that could be part of the injunction...

30 minutes ago, Windsor said:

The Queen clearly well enough to make a quick journey to Balmoral.

I think the Queen is well enough to do the things she wants to do.  ;)

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

She finally got recognized for how truly old she is 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just doing some, perhaps obvious, musing about the fact that this coming weekend is likely to be the last jubilee of any kind we see for quite a while, in many cases the last during their lifetime.

Assuming the Queen died this year, Charles would take the throne at 73/74. He would therefore need to still be on the throne at 98/99 in order to reach his Silver Jubilee, but both death and abdication seem more likely outcomes than that (I suspect Charles will mark the UK's transition to the Dutch model for abdications).

William is 40 this year, say he gets throne at 50-55, he'll be pushing 80 if he reached his Silver Jubilee, but even if that was the case, we're talking 35-40 years before the next one at least. Unless the Queen makes it to 75 I suppose, when she'd be 101 (and we run out of names - the internet seems to revert to either Golden or Platinum for a 75th anniversary!).

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Just doing some, perhaps obvious, musing about the fact that this coming weekend is likely to be the last jubilee of any kind we see for quite a while, in many cases the last during their lifetime.

Assuming the Queen died this year, Charles would take the throne at 73/74. He would therefore need to still be on the throne at 98/99 in order to reach his Silver Jubilee, but both death and abdication seem more likely outcomes than that (I suspect Charles will mark the UK's transition to the Dutch model for abdications).

William is 40 this year, say he gets throne at 50-55, he'll be pushing 80 if he reached his Silver Jubilee, but even if that was the case, we're talking 35-40 years before the next one at least. Unless the Queen makes it to 75 I suppose, when she'd be 101 (and we run out of names - the internet seems to revert to either Golden or Platinum for a 75th anniversary!).

But we will be able to sate the royalist palette with plenty of funerals and coronations which will do just as well

We once went into a house clearance shop and bought a load of commemorative books for the coronation of George VI and the funeral of George V which included information on the abdication of Edward VIII - big hard back books with colour plates which must have been given away with one of the papers at the time

I was thinking that a royalist had died and all their stuff got dumped as there was more modern stuff there too

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

That's some pretty strong analysis there! You could be right, we could be looking at no more jubilees again in our lifetime. An odd thought as a jubilee is so synonymous with the monarchy itself. 

A reminder of the Queen's various jubilees...

Silver Jubilee – 1977 (25)
Ruby Jubilee – 1992 (40, non-official)
Golden Jubilee – 2002 (50)
Diamond Jubilee – 2012 (60)
Sapphire Jubilee – 2017 (65, non-official)
Platinum Jubilee – 2022 (70)

For the non-official ones there were no widespread celebrations, just the odd bit of branding and the odd gesture made here or there. Should the Queen live to 101 and see 75 years on the throne, the question is will they mark it with widespread celebrations given the likeness that she will then be very frail and unlikely to appear in public. 

A Diamond Jubilee can be both 60 or 75. In terms of what they would call it, my strongest hunch would be "The Queen's Second Diamond Jubilee".

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

That's some pretty strong analysis there! You could be right, we could be looking at no more jubilees again in our lifetime. An odd thought as a jubilee is so synonymous with the monarchy itself. 

A reminder of the Queen's various jubilees...

Silver Jubilee – 1977 (25)
Ruby Jubilee – 1992 (40, non-official)
Golden Jubilee – 2002 (50)
Diamond Jubilee – 2012 (60)
Sapphire Jubilee – 2017 (65, non-official)
Platinum Jubilee – 2022 (70)

For the non-official ones there were no widespread celebrations, just the odd bit of branding and the odd gesture made here or there. Should the Queen live to 101 and see 75 years on the throne, the question is will they mark it with widespread celebrations given the likeness that she will then be very frail and unlikely to appear in public. 

A Diamond Jubilee can be both 60 or 75. In terms of what they would call it, my strongest hunch would be "The Queen's Second Diamond Jubilee".

I think that if she reached 100 years old there will be a huge celebration rather than wait for the 'Dubilee'

• Like 6