Jimh

Queen Elizabeth II

On 02/06/2022 at 11:20, Redrumours said:

Let's have a flag count. I live on an estate of  63 houses and after a quick walk around the total is one Union Jack and no bunting whatsoever.

Also no street parties planned.

Is it still the case today?  We had nothing around us yesterday, but this morning (Friday) they were all out with the flags and bunting.  We’ve got a booze up masquerading as a street party planned tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, GrumpyRabbit said:

Is it still the case today?  We had nothing around us yesterday, but this morning (Friday) they were all out with the flags and bunting.  We’ve got a booze up masquerading as a street party planned tomorrow.

Yeah, but...

There's a sizeable and sold out street party up the road from me on Sunday. I know it's sold out because they've sent round an email with contigency plans for the predicted heavy showers and they've had to make enough room in the village hall and a couple of other places for everyone expected on the (closed) street. There's clearly a worry that random revellers might fuck over the carefully laid plans to keep everyone dry. My mate I often see in the pub who is something of an original hippie amazed me the other day. I expressed some dissatisfaction with the whole notion of only qualifying for the top job on the basis of birth parentage and he launched into a robust defence of the monarchy (not summat I'd have put money on since most of our chats revolve around the merits of The Grateful Dead vs Hawkwind or similar comparisons of more recent sounds). 

He's going to the street party.

• Haha 1

I was struck by something on the BBC article concerning the Derby withdrawal. It stated that prior to the pandemic she'd only ever missed the Derby twice. Now, obviously, that was 3 years ago, which is a long time at 93, but the other thing that's been talked about a lot is that during the pandemic, many older people have deteriorated due to the lack of routine and social interaction during the lockdowns. Now, I'm not going to pretend QE2 is the same as Doreen down the road who barely saw a soul during Covid and never left the house. She's still had the household staff, her husband of 73 years and enormous grounds at Windsor Castle to get out and about in, but the fact remains her schedule went from busy to non-existent overnight. She spent 18 months doing everything virtually and to then expect her to just pick up where she left off at that age isn't really reasonable. Are we really surprised she's emerged from the pandemic less physically able than she was before?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, GrumpyRabbit said:

Yes, and I bet most of the country is the same.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-10883151/The-Queens-passion-horses-display-unseen-footage-Majesty.html

New video of unseen footage of the Queen filmed just a few weeks ago at Sandringham  feeding carrots to horses and talking to the horse trainers.  Walks around fine with a walking sticks assistance  and very engaged mentally. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-10883151/The-Queens-passion-horses-display-unseen-footage-Majesty.html

New video of unseen footage of the Queen filmed just a few weeks ago at Sandringham  feeding carrots to horses and talking to the horse trainers.  Walks around fine with a walking sticks assistance  and very engaged mentally. 

That brings back a funny memory.  Years ago an acquaintance of my mother worked at Sandringham Stud.  One of the perks must have been free Christmas cards, because every year a card from him would arrive that bore inside the inscription :

The Royal Household

Well, my mum always waited expectantly for that card, and it would be displayed in a very prominent position.

"Lovely card, always such class," she would say.  It always featured a painting or item from the Royal collections.

Then one year disaster struck.  He left Sandringham and went to work at a stud in Newmarket.  So no Royal Household card.

Mum was very scathing about the card he sent that year.

"Some people have no taste", she complained.  And the card was relegated to the back row :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Easily going to be my favourite moment of the night. What a sport.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Seppuku said:

Can't disagree with a damn thing written there so far...:lol:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Seppuku said:

Very bitter and unfunny commentary.

Has TQR hacked them?

Well, you could have a playlist of greatest hits on shuffle rather than pissing into a paper cup on The Mall. 

For us it's all about who isn't there, we were never going to get Phil Collins, ha!

Where is Rufus Hound? He normally turns up for the opening of a jar of beetroot...

11 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Very bitter and unfunny commentary.

Has TQR hacked them?

What you find bitter and unfunny is generally considered to be accurate and funny, so I’ll take it! 

• Like 1

Let's have a flag count. I live on an estate of  63 houses and after a quick walk around the total is one Union Jack and no bunting whatsoever.

Exactly the same here. Seen a few houses with bunting out, but that's it. My cul de sac may have had a street party in 1977 but not now as it's choc full of cars and vans all the time. I have a job to unload shopping on a Tuesday morning.  

I have come to the conclusion that most of the British public is simply indifferent to the monarchy - we tolerate them, maybe admire them, but on the whole we don't celebrate them either, and we're not going to campaign to get rid of them. We just go with the status quo. 

3 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Exactly the same here. Seen a few houses with bunting out, but that's it. My cul de sac may have had a street part in 1977 but not now as it's choc full of cars and vans all the time. I have a job to unload shopping on a Tuesday morning.  

I have come to the conclusion that most of the British public is simply indifferent to the monarchy - we tolerate them, maybe admire them, but on the whole we don't celebrate them either, and we're not going to campaign to get rid of them. We just go with the status quo. 

Quite a lot of events in our village but that's mainly driven by the pub.  A lot less bunting and flags than usual for a celebration of any kind, but it's half-term here and apparently lots of people are away on holidays, so that may account for it.

• Like 1

My nearest pub is a mile away and I'm not walking down there on a Saturday night just to see what's going on. Probably going to be heaving anyway. I'll stick with the TV and the Jamesons for tonight I think. 

• Like 1

Our street started organising the street party for tomorrow on Whatsapp back in January and we arranged for the street to be closed. My next door neighbour has about 30 Union Jack flags in their front garden. About 6 other houses in the steet have various types of bunting in front of their house as well.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

Our street started organising the street party for tomorrow on Whatsapp back in January and we arranged for the street to be closed. My next door neighbour has about 30 Union Jack flags in their front garden. About 6 other houses in the steet have various types of bunting in front of their house as well.

Hope it stays dry for you. Is it a small street?

• Like 1

That was an awfully long day for the Cambridge kids and it showed.  I think they should have been allowed to skip the concert.  Not much in it for them, maybe they wanted to go though.

The light effects were good.  I liked the corgi in the sky best :D  I was hoping he'd catch the bone :lol:

• Like 1

On 03/06/2022 at 23:36, RoverAndOut said:

I was struck by something on the BBC article concerning the Derby withdrawal. It stated that prior to the pandemic she'd only ever missed the Derby twice. Now, obviously, that was 3 years ago, which is a long time at 93, but the other thing that's been talked about a lot is that during the pandemic, many older people have deteriorated due to the lack of routine and social interaction during the lockdowns. Now, I'm not going to pretend QE2 is the same as Doreen down the road who barely saw a soul during Covid and never left the house. She's still had the household staff, her husband of 73 years and enormous grounds at Windsor Castle to get out and about in, but the fact remains her schedule went from busy to non-existent overnight. She spent 18 months doing everything virtually and to then expect her to just pick up where she left off at that age isn't really reasonable. Are we really surprised she's emerged from the pandemic less physically able than she was before?

And the Pandemic hit just as she would normally be entering busy spring period of the year.

• Like 1

Didn’t show up to my daughters year 6 school jubilee party. Surely the end is near. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

No bunting or anything outside my neighbours' houses, but plenty in the nearby town centre. My town's mostly retired folk and tory voters so it's not really surprising lmao

Queen's got a good couple years left in her yet but then again anything can happen between 95 and 100 really

Here's a little bunting for the Forum:

Little Bunting | Bird Identification Guide | Bird Spot

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

You can’t use display of flags as an indication of popularity of the Jubilee where I live.

In these parts it’s sensible not to put a Union Flag in your window unless you want some rabid Scot Nat to pan it in…

Whenever she does die - They won't let her go just like Princess Diana. 

I predicted on or around Phillips anniversary of his death she would go, nope, I predicted the jubilee she would go. Nope.

Third times a Charm. Canada Day. Be a nice Canada Day Present.