Jimh

Queen Elizabeth II

On 05/06/2022 at 18:43, Windsor said:

You can’t use display of flags as an indication of popularity of the Jubilee where I live.

In these parts it’s sensible not to put a Union Flag in your window unless you want some rabid Scot Nat to pan it in…

On our cul-de-sac there were four decorated houses. The leavers who have had Union Jacks in their window since the 75th anniversary of VE day celebrations. The one at the end who decorate for any excuse - they normally have a full nativity in their garden at Christmas and our Scottish neighbour (we live in the East Midlands) who put who a huge saltaire and saltaire bunting but put a massive Queen's head silhouette in his window. Our American neighbours on the other side just put a plastic flag in the window

I have only seen one house near me decorated with British flags. They also have Gary Barlow cardboard cut-out in their window!

All the focus here has been on the first TT since 2019 rather than the Jubilee.

• Like 2

QEII is the only survivor from the Spitting Image Vincent Price's Human Chess set sketch

Tried to find it on You Tube but no luck

• Haha 1

On 03/06/2022 at 06:36, Youth in Asia said:

Forget the Platty Jubbly, or whatever the young people are calling it, the big date is in about 9 days when she officially moves past King Bhumibol of Thailand into second place on the all time list of longest-reigning monarchs. After that it is the end of May 2024 to go past Louis XIV as the no. 1 of all time, and that is unlikely ever to be beaten. Unfortunately it seems a bit unlikely she'll reach that milestone.

She made it! 

1 hour ago, Youth in Asia said:

She made it! 

The nine days, yes. 28 May 2024 would be the unlikely ever to be beaten record, right?

True but I think she's in with a chance, better than evens

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maryportfuncity said:

The nine days, yes. 28 May 2024 would be the unlikely ever to be beaten record, right?

I think she’ll make it. Perhaps a poll is in order to preserve our opinions and avoid the inevitable amnesia?

• Like 3

Maybe it's some kind of a form of terminal lucidity before that terminal stage LXXXIV pancreatic ALSheimer's comes back? 

2 hours ago, arghton said:

Maybe it's some kind of a form of terminal lucidity before that terminal stage LXXXIV pancreatic ALSheimer's comes back? 

Maybe, but I've noticed that her health appears to improve as the distance between her and Boris Johnson increases

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Because not a lot is going on I drafted my 2023 preliminary list

QEII has not made the cut

• Like 1

Just now, Bibliogryphon said:

You're keen! I've not decided if I'm taking part next year yet, let alone drafted any lists! :D

• Like 1

Just now, Bibliogryphon said:

You think she's not going to make 2023? :o

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, msc said:

You're keen! I've not decided if I'm taking part next year yet, let alone drafted any lists! :D

I normally do a preliminary list around the middle of the year. There will be opportunities to include late diagnosis as there will potentially be obvious fallers but I am playing the long game

My thought about QEII is that she looks extremely well she has referred to a few mobility issues but she is regularly seen looking healthy and happy. Considering how long DoE lurched round looking like a corpse I am thinking that the only reason I would keep her on was the sheer fact of too big to miss and that is a risk I am going to take

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I normally do a preliminary list around the middle of the year. There will be opportunities to include late diagnosis as there will potentially be obvious fallers but I am playing the long game

My thought about QEII is that she looks extremely well she has referred to a few mobility issues but she is regularly seen looking healthy and happy. Considering how long DoE lurched round looking like a corpse I am thinking that the only reason I would keep her on was the sheer fact of too big to miss and that is a risk I am going to take

She won't be on any of my lists unless there is any dramatic revelation or change like a secret pancreatic cancer diagnosis being made public!

I will be focusing on her royal cousins and their spouses.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wonder who's going to be her last prime minister.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Possibly someone not born yet...

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, gcreptile said:

06E0B6CA-9721-4288-81F1-4667D64AD6DE.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 07/07/2022 at 09:32, gcreptile said:

Starmer perhaps?

Now identifies as giraffe. 

8A0B0CDA-CBFC-4D66-9644-8E38EE430E07.jpeg

• Haha 1