Jimh

Queen Elizabeth II

Speculation about the Queen staying at Balmoral permanently:

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/royals/stark-reality-for-queen-exposed-as-she-may-never-return-to-london/news-story/d2d3f35f73fc1e87d5f2306303d936a7

Is it possible even in theory? I've understood that Balmoral's central heating system is inadequate even in August and it's practically only a summer cottage for the Royal Family. Of course she reportedly had that wheelchair friendly lift installed to a smaller cottage there earlier. But still, staying in Scotland permanently? Even the Wood Farm at Sandringham would be much more practical.

• Like 1

The Queen is 96 and she can do whatever the fuck she wants to.  Why should she traipse back to London on account of those toerags?  Quite rightly they are the ones who should put themselves out.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

*tow rags

But yes, I quite agree.

toerags

Never heard of tow rags

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OED cites that spelling in the last quote, but qualified with a [sic]

image.png.bcb303f4e7cfb5e38407a5a81c9cece1.png

5 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I've only ever known it as 'toerag'; one word, with an 'e', which is the only spelling my Concise Oxford has. I accept there may be alternatives (e.g. archaic or American forms) but in the absence of a Full OED, I can only go with sources at my disposal.

I don't suppose Susie Dent is a lurker on here?

Anyway, it seems we're now in agreement Toast wasn't wrong.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, time said:

in the absence of a Full OED, I can only go with sources at my disposal.

The definitions I posted are from the full online OED.  I'm not a subscriber, but I can sign in to it using my library card number.   I would think most libraries subscribe to it, so if you are a member of a library, give it a try.

• Thanks 1

Which happily brings up an excellent opportunity to repost this clip containing an object lesson in the correct pronunciation (if not grammatical use) of toe-rag for any who may have missed it the first time around.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Talkative Finn said:

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/royals/stark-reality-for-queen-exposed-as-she-may-never-return-to-london/news-story/d2d3f35f73fc1e87d5f2306303d936a7

Is it possible even in theory? I've understood that Balmoral's central heating system is inadequate even in August and it's practically only a summer cottage for the Royal Family. Of course she reportedly had that wheelchair friendly lift installed to a smaller cottage there earlier. But still, staying in Scotland permanently? Even the Wood Farm at Sandringham would be much more practical.

She won’t stay at Balmoral. 

It’s more practical that she died at Windsor or London. Even Norfolk like her father. 

if anything it seems less likely she will return to Balmoral after this trip. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Windsor said:

more practical that she died at …

It's comments like that that make me almost feel pity for that anachronistic old hag.

17 minutes ago, frleon said:

It's comments like that that make me almost feel pity for that anachronistic old hag.

Don't mince your words just say it. :D

On 03/09/2022 at 22:00, Talkative Finn said:

It has always been said Sandringham or Windsor is where she would rather die. I can’t see her staying there for the winter. 

Just seen the pic of Truss being appointed.

Looks like some really bruised hands on Her Maj.

1 minute ago, YoungWillz said:

Probably because of all the fist thumping on the table whenever Meghan and/or Prince Andrew do something stupid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Does someone have a link or the photos ? 

Edit : nevermind, found it on the Liz truss thread

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brad252 said:

Probably because of all the fist thumping on the table whenever Meghan and/or Prince Andrew do something stupid.

And Prince Harry! Not keen on either Meghan or Harry but his behaviour is pretty shocking and stupid too and probably  as her grandson causes her more distress than Meghan.  Let's not  let  Harry hide behind  the  wife taking all the blame for his crappy behaviour .

If the Queen was at deaths door you would think that Harry would've made it a priority to visit her while he is in the country.

The fact that he has chosen not to maybe tells us there is no immediate danger.

2 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

My friend who is clued in to the Royals says she has Raynaud syndrome.

Comes and goes with good days and bad ones, can be very painful but it doesn’t really affect overall mortality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, openviews said:

If the Queen was at deaths door you would think that Harry would've made it a priority to visit her while he is in the country.

The fact that he has chosen not to maybe tells us there is no immediate danger.

No,  I think it tells us that either he's an utter cunt, or he's being controlled by the even bigger utter cunt.  Or both.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Alternative:

"Harry, dear, do not come to visit. This place is utterly crawling with TORY PRIME MINISTERS. One is not amused!"

:lol:

• Like 1

It’s pretty extraordinary that the UK has had 56 Prime Ministers in our history and QEII appointed over a quarter of them (Truss was the 15th).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Doesn't take much at all to bruise at that age.