Jimh

Queen Elizabeth II

The live BBC News channel feed has turned to a black background, was white earlier. I guess that it will have needed to change it at some point.

Screenshot 2022-09-08 172018.png

Dumb Dane here, but will people get a day off tomorrow if she passes or on the day of her funeral?Could imagine that a lot of people would be devastated and the kids would jump in excitement for getting a day off. It would just be a very British thing to do (stereotype, i know)

2 minutes ago, Genfærd said:

Dumb Dane here, but will people get a day off tomorrow if she passes or on the day of her funeral?Could imagine that a lot of people would be devastated and the kids would jump in excitement for getting a day off. It would just be a very British thing to do (stereotype, i know)

10-12 days of national mourning, followed by 10-12 days of national afternoon as soon as she is announced to have passed. 

Just now, Summer in Transylvania said:

It ended even worse for Charles I. 

ah right, i actually meant that one, oh well

• Like 1

How long after the death is the coronation? If I remember the last one died in 1952 and the queen was crowned in 1953.

Just now, Genfærd said:

No guarantee that the government will ask businesses to close, though it would be expected as a mark of respect.  

1 minute ago, Genfærd said:

Maybe not tomorrow but certainly on her funeral date...I guess.

I work in NHS so patients would get too annoyed by their appointment getting rebooked last minute.

1 minute ago, Youth in Asia said:

How long after the death is the coronation? If I remember the last one died in 1952 and the queen was crowned in 1953.

Depends how quick it can get organised but within 18 months.

2 minutes ago, Youth in Asia said:

It normally takes place the following year.  So it would be in 2023 if the queen dies soon.

Now I don't want anybody to send me nasty texts. I am just asking a question with no pretense about it. As an American man asking a British citizen. What does the Queen ever done for you? What has the MOnarchy acheived in the last 100 years?  Asking for a friend.

• Like 1

I work with people with disabilities or brain injuries, there are never days off even for our Queen. Life does go on and people still need us.

• Like 1

All this waffling on the BBC is tiresome.  They know nothing and should leave it until there's some actual news.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Perfect Passing said:

The live BBC News channel feed has turned to a black background, was white earlier. I guess that it will have needed to change it at some point.

Screenshot 2022-09-08 172018.png

It definitely seems the media is priming for the announcement she's passed. Updates are remarkably vague which is never a good sign from the palace.

Just now, Youth in Asia said:

I would guess that if she dies this month, it will be in May or June next year, if she clings on 'til say March 2023 it might be later that same year, George IV died in February 1952 and the Queen wasn't crowned until 2nd of June 1953, for an older King, 14 months seems a bit too long to wait, so they might speed it up.

Just now, Elvis is alive! said:

Now I don't want anybody to send me nasty texts. I am just asking a question with no pretense about it. As an American man asking a British citizen. What does the Queen ever done for you? What has the MOnarchy acheived in the last 100 years?  Asking for a friend.

The monarchy is a symbol - it doesn't need to 'achieve' anything, it's just 'there'.  As you are American I don't expect you to understand this, because your nation sees everything in purely practical terms.

• Like 3

Just now, Voice of Reason said:

I would guess that if she dies this month, it will be in May or June next year, if she clings on 'til say March 2023 it might be later that same year, George IV died in February 1952 and the Queen wasn't crowned until 2nd of June 1953, for an older King, 14 months seems a bit too long to wait, so they might speed it up.

They would definitely do it sooner than 14 months.  In the modern age these things can be arranged much more quickly.

3 minutes ago, Elvis is alive! said:

We haven't had to have a political figure as our head of state, that's something positive in my opinion.

• Like 1

Clive Myrie gave Huw Edwards a 20 minute break and now he is back.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

Depends how quick it can get organised but within 18 months.

I would have thought sooner. Wasn't the length previously  to allow for travel of various people from what was then the empire (now commonwealth) where they would have had to travel by sea

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, marklv said:

The monarchy is a symbol - it doesn't need to 'achieve' anything, it's just 'there'.  As you are American I don't expect you to understand this, because your nation sees everything in purely practical terms.

So your saying that the monarchy are the Kardashians of Britain? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

She passed away at 16:50 this afternoon. My cousin's wife is getting the final touches to the 6pm bulletin ready. Her colleague, Huw Edwards is in bits apparently.

Don't shoot the messenger, it's chaos in the BBC Cardiff office right now. Headless chickens everywhere.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 5