Jimh

Queen Elizabeth II

1 hour ago, openviews said:

Prime minister was told of Queen's death at 16:30 - official spokesman

Liz Truss was informed of the Queen's death at 16:30, the prime minister's official spokesman has said. 

The prime minister was told the news by Cabinet Secretary Simon Case.

Not fair, I didn't find out until 20 minutes later, one rule for them and one rule for us.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 04/08/2022 at 12:30, En Passant said:

Ah yes, but there were pages and pages of conjecture about Phil and look what happened there.....:P

See?

Back in your box oh psychic enema @Gooseberry Crumble and let us not even speak of @The Old Crem's soothsaying about every death under the sun that turned out to be miles off.

This was where the real prophesy lay all the while.

• Haha 1

"following the passing of her father, King George IV."

Major Spelling Mistake Minor Spelling Mistake GIF - Major Spelling Mistake  Minor Spelling Mistake Spelling Mistake - Discover & Share GIFs

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, One shot Paddy said:

The last head of state who was also a WWII veteran, the end of an era indeed.

How are you defining "veteran"

1 hour ago, marklv said:

Dream on.

I know.

One can but dream.

Being a Republic is good enough for the majority of the planet's nations so why should it be good enough for us?

1 hour ago, Paul Bearer said:

We were talking about that in the pub tonight.  Probably be a Saturday in order for us peasants not to have a day off work to mourn her passing. 

Trust me.

It WILL be a Saturday.

They will force us to be miserable by cancelling football and horse racing.

We WILL mourn her. (aye, right!!!!)

King Charlie and queen Tampax and pretend that everything is the same but it isn't. 

Goodbye Lizzie - may you be the last of them.

Vive le Republique.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RadGuy said:

Hard to imagine Britain with a different monarch. It just speaks to her incredible place in history that I can say that as someone in his 20s and probably get people in their 70s to agree with me. To many across the world, Queen Elizabeth II was simply the embodiment of Britain.

You are correct.

She was the embodiment of everything that was wrong with this country.

WHY should you and I pay for the upkeep of a multi Billionaire German family as our hed of state?

You say that you are in your 20s.  DID YOU KNOW THAT windsor IS NOT THEIR FAMILY NAME?

Google it!

• Like 1

A couple of ones internationally remain, Raif Dizdarevic, Giorgio Napolitano and Valdas Adamkus participated in underground movements during the war. 

She was possibly the last living royal WWII veteran. Last meaning last, as far as I know no other living royal anywhere could be counted as a WWII vet.

*Thailand's Prince Bhisadej Rajani who died in July at 100 seems to have been the penultimate one. Probably the last royal combat vet, Rajani was a British Army spy and soldier.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, drunkasaskunk said:

How are you defining "veteran"

She joined the Women’s Auxiliary Territory Service as soon as she turned 18, despite the protestations of her parents.

BTW I am by no means a royalist either but your idiotic thread creation and your deliberately truculent attitude should probably do a bit of shuttyfuckups for now. Advocate for a republic without shouting in everyone’s faces like a prick.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, drunkasaskunk said:

Trust me.

It WILL be a Saturday.

They will force us to be miserable by cancelling football and horse racing.

Today (Friday) would be Day 1 so that would put the funeral next Sunday (18th)

IMG-20220908-WA0018.jpg

2 minutes ago, Deathbysnoosnoo said:

IMG-20220908-WA0018.jpg

Wont be a Sunday. Bet it’s Monday 19th. 

I’m home from my holiday. I heard she was seriously ill at the airport and did see the posts there wondering where I was. The captain announced mid flight that she had died. 

I doubt she died until 3.30-4.00. Liz Truss would have been one of the first to hear. 

Also apparently a journalist has said on LBC that she was aware she was terminally Ill and didn’t have much time left. 

44 minutes ago, drunkasaskunk said:

You are correct.

She was the embodiment of everything that was wrong with this country.

WHY should you and I pay for the upkeep of a multi Billionaire German family as our hed of state?

You say that you are in your 20s.  DID YOU KNOW THAT windsor IS NOT THEIR FAMILY NAME?

Google it!

If you think they were still German then you're either thick or xenophobic.

Also they aren't billionaires. Their fortune's merely run into the hundreds of mllions. Prick.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Quick, pick the celebrity death you think is going to get Mother Teresa/Groucho Marx'd by the Queen.

Maybe someone who has been called the Queen of Something. . 

Not sure if it's been said already. But if I had met Liz Truss, I would lose the will to live too. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Deathbysnoosnoo said:

IMG-20220908-WA0018.jpg

I wouldn't take that as written in stone. They said on the BBC less than an hour ago the Accession Council won't take place until Saturday, which would already be a day out from the outset. I think Monday rather than Sunday but we'll see.

Interesting sidenote re: the Accession Council. The Council is made up of Privy Councillors, but not all of them, and proclaims the new sovereign. Presumably, this would usually include the Prime Minister, however she is not yet a Privy Councillor as the meeting to make her one on Wednesday night was cancelled so the Queen could rest. So will she miss it? Or can Charles make her one beforehand? Or does he not have that authority until he has been proclaimed?

@Windsor, seriously ignore the cretin. He/she/it has been a member who has lurked here since 2014 but has had nothing constructive to contribute then all of a sudden comes out from underneath his/her/its rock when they see an opportunity to grab some attention.

A very sad day indeed but it hasn't sunk in yet. Barely any of us in the UK have lived in a time without her. It will sink in within the weeks to come as tributes continue and she lays in state, with the state funeral that will follow.

From a DL/DDP perspective, I wonder if this will cause a flurry of deaths to follow in the coming weeks/months? A lot of people of the Queen's generation held her very dear to their hearts. I remember my late gran (also born 1926), who passed in 2016, would pretty much always refer to events of the past, the war etc. with passing mentions of the Her Majesty. For them, the loss of the monarch during this time must hit very hard indeed. I'm thinking of Leslie Phillips, Sir David Attenborough, Dame Angela Lansbury, Stanley Baxter etc.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Guardian quote:

Nicholas Witchell, the BBC’s royal correspondent, said there have been “rumours of cancers” in recent speculation over the Queen’s health but no confirmation.

Very interesting he said that on air. I wonder if the death certificate will reveal that to be true. If not we might have to wait for official biography (Like the one that revealed the Queen Mum’s secret cancer battles.)

15 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

@Windsor, seriously ignore the cretin. He/she/it has been a member who has lurked here since 2014 but has had nothing constructive to contribute then all of a sudden comes out from underneath his/her/its rock when they see an opportunity to grab some attention.

A very sad day indeed but it hasn't sunk in yet. Barely any of us in the UK have lived in a time without her. It will sink in within the weeks to come as tributes continue and she lays in state, with the state funeral that will follow.

From a DL/DDP perspective, I wonder if this will cause a flurry of deaths to follow in the coming weeks/months? A lot of people of the Queen's generation held her very dear to their hearts. I remember my late gran (also born 1926), who passed in 2016, would pretty much always refer to events of the past, the war etc. with passing mentions of the Her Majesty. For them, the loss of the monarch during this time must hit very hard indeed. I'm thinking of Leslie Phillips, Sir David Attenborough, Dame Angela Lansbury, Stanley Baxter etc.

I get you thinking. My Nan was also born in 1926 and had she been still Alive this would have hit her very badly.

I think it was fully fitting that @Thatcher  posted it first and it wouldn’t have been right had they missed out. 

6 hours ago, Toast said:

It won't surprise me now to hear that the ravens have left the Tower of London.

I was driven past the Tower this evening. It’s still standing. 

In her honor I'll be making it a point to rewatch my two favorite films about the British monarchy, King Ralph and Johnny English, as soon as I get the time.