Jimh

Queen Elizabeth II

2 hours ago, zerbey said:

She's finally gone, certainly feels like the end of an era.  Doubt we'll ever see anyone quite like her again.  I genuinely hope Charles III does a good job and wish him all the best, that's a tough act to follow.

I was a much bigger fan of hers in her later years, then earlier. say 1980's and 1990's. Either way she deffinetly was a strong woman who gave her life for her country. Althoguh she was fully compensated.

Very good speech from Charles, effectively ruled out abdication as speculated earlier in this thread.

• Like 2

I found his speech perfect, may his mama be with angels above, God Save the King *bows head*

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Johnson was asked to talk about her in past tense during a BBC interview a few months ago. They probably knew something was wrong in that moment. 
do we know if cancer spéculations were True ?

I don't know, but she was 96 and it was no secret that her health was failing. 

It's normal practice to prepare tribute programmes in advance for prominent people who are likely to die sooner rather than later.  Same as obits - have them ready to run.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Toast said:

I don't know, but she was 96 and it was no secret that her health was failing. 

It's normal practice to prepare tribute programmes in advance for prominent people who are likely to die sooner rather than later.  Same as obits - have them ready to run.

You only have to look at the content that was on the bbc website last night. Some of that stuff would have taken weeks if not months to type up/proof read/finalise 

• Like 2

Did the forum go down earlier or was that just me? It wouldn't load. Anyway, just to echo what a good speech it was from Charles, and she's done such a good job with the transition that he didn't look out of place and it seemed perfectly natural that he is now our King, despite the fact it still seems surreal that Her Majesty has passed away.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Khthonia said:

I found his speech perfect, may his mama be with angels above, God Save the King *bows head*

It actually got me a bit weepish. I am not one to raise up the Royals or one to get sappy. However the speech was so very good. May God Save the King!

5 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Did the forum go down earlier or was that just me? It wouldn't load. Anyway, just to echo what a good speech it was from Charles, and she's done such a good job with the transition that he didn't look out of place and it seemed perfectly natural that he is now our King, despite the fact it still seems surreal that Her Majesty has passed away.

No idea if you went down…..

• Haha 1

I thought Charles' speech was outstanding.  We so rarely get that kind of eloquence here in the U.S.  

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

It said it was in the midst of an upgrade for me, so you are not alone.

I agree with what has already been said about Charles. His speech was a good 'un, let us hope that his reign continues in such a way. 

I also don't think the majority will get used to "King Charles III" for a while. It has been said numerous times before, but the quantity emphasises the importance. I said, when the speech finished, "he is still Prince Charles to me", and to mostly everyone who knew him as such, he will be, even if no longer officially, just as how QE2 is to most "The Queen", because it was difficult to imagine someone else on the throne of the United Kingdom. 

• Like 2

I assumed that maybe she’d been bed-bound and declining for a while but summoned herself one last time for her duties on Tuesday but apparently she was up and about last weekend according to the moderator of the Church of Scotland.

The sudden decline seems to have caught everyone on the hop.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/royals/inside-queens-final-weekend-family-27948953

1 hour ago, openviews said:

I assumed that maybe she’d been bed-bound and declining for a while but summoned herself one last time for her duties on Tuesday but apparently she was up and about last weekend according to the moderator of the Church of Scotland.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/royals/inside-queens-final-weekend-family-27948953

Yes, I'm sure the rest of the family would have been there sooner if it was known that she was so near death.

Perhaps we'll be told more in due course.

Meanwhile - I'm sure this has been posted before but it never gets old.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

I was trying to find a headline for the update for my work game that struck a balance between taste and humour so I went with

"WHAT WAS THAT MORRISSEY?"

3 hours ago, openviews said:

Everyone keeps speculating metastasised cancer, or a stroke or whatever. I think she just slipped away. Maybe they couldn't wake her, but she was still breathing, or maybe as speculated her heart just failed. I see no evidence that her decline was anything other than sudden and for that I am very grateful. So much better this way than ending up looking like a living corpse, which I'm afraid the late Duke of Edinburgh did towards the end. That photo of her by the fireplace before Truss entered the room is a wonderful final portrait.

2 hours ago, Toast said:

Meanwhile - I'm sure this has been posted before but it never gets old.

That is an amazing story! There's more than enough evidence over the years that she must've been a hoot in private.

• Like 1

Jeanette Charles latest - mercifully there's no evidence the SAS took her out in the immediate aftermath, though doubtless an active unit remains lying low in her locale in case random sightings spark a ressurection cult, thereby tipping the country into constitutional crisis. Dead poolers may want to check my own calculation here in case the best known HRH impersonator decides to go for the ultimate finale. If she does, she'd be worth a punt in 2024 (she'll match the Queen's longevity on 9 March that year by my reckoning). 

5472.jpg?width=1200&height=1200&quality=

• Like 1

If she had real dedication to her craft she'd be lying down very still from now on

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Youth in Asia said:

If she had real dedication to her craft she'd be lying down very still from now on

Or holding on to 9 March 2024 in tribute, be interesting to see the DL that year, eh?

I might be wrong but I get the impression from the Church of Scotland moderator that she was aware she didn’t have too much time left going by what they spoke about. She probably didn’t expect she only days left to live and he would be one of her very last visitors through.

3 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Jeanette Charles latest - mercifully there's no evidence the SAS took her out in the immediate aftermath, though doubtless an active unit remains lying low in her locale in case random sightings spark a ressurection cult, thereby tipping the country into constitutional crisis. Dead poolers may want to check my own calculation here in case the best known HRH impersonator decides to go for the ultimate finale. If she does, she'd be worth a punt in 2024 (she'll match the Queen's longevity on 9 March that year by my reckoning). 

5472.jpg?width=1200&height=1200&quality=

There are those of us* who have selected her for 2022 DDP who wouldn't mind if she checked out a little early.

*just me

Just as we got a bank holiday for the Platty Joobz earlier this year, the UK will be getting another for the Statty Foonz, expected to be Mon 19 Sep.

3 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

I bet they can't bee-leive it

For fuck sake :facepalm:

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, TQR said:

For fuck sake :facepalm:

I hear they were really buzzed off about the news.

• Like 1