Jimh

Queen Elizabeth II

10 hours ago, arghton said:

On the topic of foreign funeral guests, discussed one or two days ago

https://www.politico.eu/article/the-greatest-funeral-since-nelson-mandela/

Official protocol dictates that invitations will be offered to the head of state from each country, and their spouse or partner.

"This will be a funeral like no other, or few other,” agreed John Kampfner, director of the “U.K. in the World” initiative at the Chatham House think tank. “There have been great state funerals before — of American presidents, of Nelson Mandela and others. But quite simply the queen was the most famous person in the world, and as a result I think there will be an attendance list that will be unprecedented.”

But of course the Royal Family is racist, so only white people will be allowed to attend.  :P

7 minutes ago, Toast said:

If that had been the case I don't believe they would have invented a "family is coming together to meet her before she goes" storyline .  What would be the point?  We know she died before William, Andrew and the Wessexes arrived.

I think they all were surprised by this. I keep hearing how they've had the protocol for years, how to prepare the public for her death because people apparently can't deal with a sudden death.

And I think they didn't want to give the impression that she died alone - though between the lines the "resting comfortably" apparnetly meant that she was in a coma. I think they wanted to keep up apeearances of a "happy end", as much as this is possible in such circumstances.

17 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

I think they all were surprised by this. I keep hearing how they've had the protocol for years, how to prepare the public for her death because people apparently can't deal with a sudden death.

And I think they didn't want to give the impression that she died alone - though between the lines the "resting comfortably" apparnetly meant that she was in a coma. I think they wanted to keep up apeearances of a "happy end", as much as this is possible in such circumstances.

She did have a happy ending. She was working on Tuesday, meeting with two Prime Ministers, and less than 48 hours later, she'd slipped away. No drama, no hospitals, no painfully drawn out decline, just here, and then gone. Who could ask for a better final public appearance than this?

skynews-queen-elizabeth-drawing-room_5893029.jpg

• Like 14

2 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

She did have a happy ending. She was working on Tuesday, meeting with two Prime Ministers, and less than 48 hours later, she'd slipped away. No drama, no hospitals, no painfully drawn out decline, just here, and then gone. Who could ask for a better final public appearance than this?

Personally, I actually agree!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

I think what we don't know is how ill she was for around the previous 12 months. How much did she steel herself to be able to make a public appearance for an hour? She certainly lost a lot of weight over the final year.

But yes overall a good way to go - nobody** would have wanted The Queen to be dribbling down her chin in a home for a couple of years not knowing who she was.

** I'm sure there will be some actually but I'm going to pretend they don't exist.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Point of order - meeting Boris Johnson is a happy ending? :D

Tbh I think she went the way my other gran went. Health complication in the morning, family told to come see her ASAP as she didn't have long left, only to get there and find that she'd taken a sudden turn for the worse and died while folk were on route. Happens all the time. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This funeral is set to be an absolute banger:

54B2E463-106B-4D12-BDFD-089233823300.thumb.jpeg.d2d6b16d933a076a3c298814ca365cb8.jpeg

07491B97-8DFC-49D8-9EE1-2896F398B881.thumb.jpeg.a3f9e960453fe21cd214312346ec0903.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Projected wait at St Giles, Edinburgh to see a box.

12 hours.

As they say in these parts, get tae fuck, man.

• Like 5

Still feels weird knowing that she’s dead and hearing god save the king instead of god save the queen 

• Like 1

Imagine what would happen if Charles declared himself to be trans

• Confused 1

skynews-queen-elizabeth-drawing-room_5893029.jpg.44360ad6f69d00119b9e2068af08adc1.jpg.d1ca5230f9cf5234129cfe8dca3a05da.jpg

I love this picture of her. I always thought of her as stuffy and Holier-Then-Thou, but here she looks like the freindly lady on the corner.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Projected wait at St Giles, Edinburgh to see a box.

12 hours.

As they say in these parts, get tae fuck, man.

Oh my, what a disrespectful little cunt. 

If it helps, it's got a crown on it and - oh yes - arguably the most famous person in the world inside it. No tricks though, she's dead.

If you are still not convinced about the 12 hour wait you could, of course, just not go and shut your fucking mouth? Deal?

• Like 5
  • Shocked 1

I love this.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Windsor said:

Oh my, what a disrespectful little cunt. 

If it helps, it's got a crown on it and - oh yes - arguably the most famous person in the world inside it. No tricks though, she's dead.

If you are still not convinced about the 12 hour wait you could, of course, just not go and shut your fucking mouth? Deal?

I believe you soft Sassenach arse is being the cunt. For no good reason.

I am a supporter of the Royals. It is a national tragedy that we have lost our Queen. It has shown the best of Scotland from the speech by the King to the service in St Giles.

If it was open casket, I could see the point of waiting 12 hours. That was my point.

Your attempt at cancel culture would be best directed at Patrick Harvie co-leader of the Greens, whose speech I found verging on, if not crossing the line of disrepectful.

I have nothing but affection for the late Sovereign, but not to the point of your blind devotion, quick to take offence and slow to realise when you are wrong. I find your comment sincerely lacking in the qualities of Her Maj, to which we should all aspire.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Toast said:

I love this.

The most out of context British announcement ever. Funny as hell.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I believe you soft Sassenach arse is being the cunt. For no good reason.

No good reason?

Ive still got another 11 and a half hours in this queue!

;)

• Haha 7

43 minutes ago, Arsewipe said:

Why was she on the 1990 deathlist? Some health scare the previous year?

Because she was an old person who'd been around forever, even in 1990. There wasn't a huge amount of thought went into the early lists: old and famous was good enough. Some would say nothings changed, but I'm saying nothing...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Your attempt at cancel culture would be best directed at Patrick Harvie co-leader of the Greens, whose speech I found verging on, if not crossing the line of disrepectful.

I did think it was a little brusque given the setting. Suspect it may not go down well. He could make his point while still being respectful but was very forthright and as I recall he didn't mention The Queen in his closing remarks at all.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

I did think it was a little brusque given the setting. Suspect it may not go down well. He could make his point while still being respectful but was very forthright and as I recall he didn't mention The Queen in his closing remarks at all.

He's an arsehole, for sure.

Wee prick.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Youth in Asia said:

Why can't she have an open coffin like Gorbie?

Surprised no one’s started the rumour that she was buried at Balmoral with the Duke and its an empty casket making its way down to London tomorrow.

• Like 1

Yes, it does seem a bit weird for people to file past a closed coffin without knowing if there's anything inside it or not. Here in Indonesia everyone has to be buried by sunset the next day, so that certainly avoids these excessively long goodbyes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Youth in Asia said:

Here in Indonesia everyone has to be buried by sunset the next day, so that certainly avoids these excessively long goodbyes.

Not forgetting the stink from the decaying corpse. 

So I guess we won't get a picture of her in her deathbed then? When Queen Victoria died there was a photograph published and a painting made of it. Even in the 1960es it was standard practice with death royals at least in continental Europe. But of course times have changed and we want to hide the actual sight of death as completely as possible.

• Like 1