Jimh

Queen Elizabeth II

Top search on Google at the moment:

0E4A3838-8FF6-4BD0-A801-E913DE979677.jpeg.0771d11bf8281f6146dd37c961b4147b.jpeg

Is this what she’s known as now? I can’t help but think her mum Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother had a better royal name.

Yesterday evening BBC commentators (or their guests) speculated on the thought that the Queen "chose to" die in Scotland. Not in the sense of committing suicide or anything but having herself a feeling that she just might not live terribly long, and deciding to travel up just to give Scotland a chance to give her a grand farewell. I think the crafty old lady did it to discourage any thoughts of Scotland leaving the Union.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

After all plenty of people are very well on a Tuesday and are dead by the Thursday. 

At 96, I think yes, you'll find plenty of people who are fine on Tuesday and dead by Thursday. Frankly, she could've had a bit of a sniffle and it could have finished her off at that age.

And even if it does come out she's been secretly dealing with cancer, it doesn't mean you're the world's greatest detective. There was nothing to your hypothesis beyond the fact she cancelled stuff and needed a stick to get around. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Or, in this case, a broken record may be more apt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Talkative Finn said:

Yesterday evening BBC commentators (or their guests) speculated on the thought that the Queen "chose to" die in Scotland. Not in the sense of committing suicide or anything but having herself a feeling that she just might not live terribly long, and deciding to travel up just to give Scotland a chance to give her a grand farewell. I think the crafty old lady did it to discourage any thoughts of Scotland leaving the Union.

They did speculate it, and maybe she wasn't sure she'd survive the summer. But clearly she didn't want to change her summer plans, wanted to visit Balmoral as normal and if she happened to die while up there, then so be it. She is, after all, half Scottish, and all accounts say it was she felt most normal. Thinking about it, it wouldn't have been too much longer before her return to Windsor would it? Mid-September? So just in time from that point of view. I think her send off has been lovely so far.

As for the Unionist argument, I'm sure some will make that case, but Nicola Sturgeon is a huge admirer of the Queen and her blueprint for independence intends for Scotland to become another Commonwealth Realm with the King as Head of State in an independent Scotland. In other words, they can have independence and keep the monarchy is their aim.

• Like 2

On 07/03/2022 at 00:39, Redrumours said:

She will die in Balmorel.

Told ya! Excuse  spelling.

She always did everything right, and I don't doubt she wanted Scotland to have its moment.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Toast said:

She always did everything right, and I don't doubt she wanted Scotland to have its moment.

In a way her mother didn't have the chance to. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toast said:

She always did everything right

:referee:

• Thanks 2

I wonder if Covid will be mentioned on the death certificate as she did come down with it fairly recently. It'd be the perfect excuse for another sodding lockdown. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, YouOnlyDieOnce said:

I wonder if Covid will be mentioned on the death certificate as she did come down with it fairly recently. It'd be the perfect excuse for another sodding lockdown. 

No one knows the cause of her death but I am guessing maybe cancer given how heavily it runs on her fathers side of the family. 

23 hours ago, tomarse said:

It'll be a strange day monday for those of us at home. I remember Diana's funeral, I don't think I saw a single person drive/walk up the street until gone 2-3pm.  Expecting similar this time

I might go on the M25 in the morning to see if I can do 70mph on it for the very first time, assuming it's open of course!

My local pub is open, they're currently installing a huge marquee with screen and projector. Also they've just ordered double the usual amount of beer. Any pub not open that day will be missing out on their biggest afternoon's takings ever. I won't be going as I can only imagine the queue for the bar. Even on a usual lunchtime I have to order a 4 pint jug, to save queuing up 4 times.

I hate fucking queues! Therefore, there's no way I'm going to queue just see a covered coffin, especially if I can't lift the lid and peek inside. Who knows what's in it..... QE2 could still be alive and in exile for all we know!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Charles De Gaulle said:

No one knows the cause of her death but I am guessing maybe cancer given how heavily it runs on her fathers side of the family. 

In that case, she most be the oldest ever cancer victim. I still think BoJo said something  to really upset her as he really is a tactless prick.

33 minutes ago, YouOnlyDieOnce said:

In that case, she most be the oldest ever cancer victim. I still think BoJo said something  to really upset her as he really is a tactless prick.

Bob Weighton died of cancer aged 112.

• Like 3

Hendrikje van Andel-Schipper was even older, dying aged 115 of stomach cancer.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Hendrikje van Andel-Schipper was even older, dying aged 115 of stomach cancer.

I believe that was found during a post mortem and wasn't believed to have been the cause of her death.

Edit: That was the cause of death.Apologies.

• Like 1

Famous people off the top of my head who died of cancer aged over 96 are Gloria Stewart (100) , Sir Peter O'Sullevan (97) and Bob Dole (98).

• Like 3

And Dilip Kumar (98), I recall one of his death causes was metastatic prostate cancer. (Well, the official death cause seems to have been cardiorespiratory arrest, caused by metastatic cancer, pleural effusion and kidney failure)

Also to mention, Satya Mohan Joshi is 102. Possibly suffers from cancer.

• Like 1

Tragically the probability of getting cancer increases every year you live, especially at the old age. Cumulative errors in gene replication and so on.

• Like 2

Anybody else weirdly… disappointed? 
I am not a monarchist but I thought a lot about the Queen’s death before it happened like I’m sure we all did. I expected the death and the media/public reaction to it to feel really uncanny and absolutely huge. It has in fact been pretty boring from the start.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

Anybody else weirdly… disappointed? 
I am not a monarchist but I thought a lot about the Queen’s death before it happened like I’m sure we all did. I expected the death and the media/public reaction to it to feel really uncanny and absolutely huge. It has in fact been pretty boring from the start.

I am very disappointed that the Queen's corgis were not in the procession.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Toast said:

I am very disappointed that the Queen's corgis were not in the procession.

I was very disappointed that Prince Andrew was. I hope he's not done anything to those corgis, I'd put nothing past that bastard.

• Facepalm 1

A friend remarked that the Queens death is a great source for copy on the Mascots Minute Silence twitter

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

I'm interested in the prospect of extra deaths occurring in the queue, already five miles long and growing, to file past Queenie's coffin.   I don't know how long the wait will be, but I would think at least a couple of patriots won't make it to the right end of the line.   

Perhaps a hearse could drive continuously up and down the line so everyone gets a good look several times.  Or maybe they could get a more hands on experience by passing the coffin over their heads?  

List of biggest ever funerals here.