Jimh

Queen Elizabeth II

2 hours ago, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

Anybody else weirdly… disappointed? 
I am not a monarchist but I thought a lot about the Queen’s death before it happened like I’m sure we all did. I expected the death and the media/public reaction to it to feel really uncanny and absolutely huge. It has in fact been pretty boring from the start.

The classic case of unrealistic expectations. People have tried to imagine what The Queen's death would be like, and built it up to be unlike anything you could possibly imagine. But it was seismic, sudden, the grief has been widespread and heartfelt, the queue to view her coffin is enormous and her funeral will be the biggest world event in years. I get what you mean, but the expectations were just off the scale.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

The classic case of unrealistic expectations. People have tried to imagine what The Queen's death would be like, and built it up to be unlike anything you could possibly imagine. But it was seismic, sudden, the grief has been widespread and heartfelt, the queue to view her coffin is enormous and her funeral will be the biggest world event in years. I get what you mean, but the expectations were just off the scale.

I think some ppl were expecting grief, North Korea style.

That just ain’t our thang.

• Like 2

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2022/09/14/who-invited-queens-funeral-guest-list-royals-politicians-leaders/

According to this Harald V of Norway and the Emir of Qatar will attend. As well as the Japanese Emperor, who hasn't attended a funeral abroad since 1993.

Few interesting mentions:

All holders of the Victoria Cross or George Cross will be able to attend the Queen's funeral, the PA news agency understands: Could we see John Cruickshank there? Rambahadur Limbu? Keith Payne?

There will also be "royals from Greece", but I honestly doubt they'll bring Constantine II. Probably in far too bad health for that.

Representatives from island nations...

Read an ABCNEWS article on this. Apparently Maori King Tūheitia Paki will attend, which I find pretty interesting. He suffers from heart and kidney issues and diabetes.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

In some ways it is more impressive that there is such a public outpouring when it isn't mandated by the state.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, YouOnlyDieOnce said:

I might go on the M25 in the morning to see if I can do 70mph on it for the very first time, assuming it's open of course!

My local pub is open, they're currently installing a huge marquee with screen and projector. Also they've just ordered double the usual amount of beer. Any pub not open that day will be missing out on their biggest afternoon's takings ever. I won't be going as I can only imagine the queue for the bar. Even on a usual lunchtime I have to order a 4 pint jug, to save queuing up 4 times.

I hate fucking queues! Therefore, there's no way I'm going to queue just see a covered coffin, especially if I can't lift the lid and peek inside. Who knows what's in it..... QE2 could still be alive and in exile for all we know!

Impressive that your local can do that sort of business in the midst of a cost of living crisis. I went into a boozer in Maidstone a  couple of weeks ago and at 1.45 I was their first customer of the day.

• Like 1

As I haven't had an invite to the funeral (yet!) I'm hopefully going to The Queue / lying-in-state either tomorrow or Friday. I always said I would for The Queen if possible, and the MOT today wasn't hideous so can afford to.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Vinegar Tits said:

As I haven't had an invite to the funeral (yet!) I'm hopefully going to The Queue / lying-in-state either tomorrow or Friday. I always said I would for The Queen if possible, and the MOT today wasn't hideous so can afford to.

Based on current queue livestream I would go tomorrow. That way better chance of being allowed in. Just let us know what time you will get in so we can watch you bow your head, lol.

• Like 1

Queen Anne-Marie is in good health so will likely attend as she did for Phillip’s memorial. Probably the Crown Prince and Princess as well.

The Telegraph are saying Keith Payne will attend but not the other two. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

Based on current queue livestream I would go tomorrow. That way better chance of being allowed in. Just let us know what time you will get in so we can watch you bow your head, lol.

I sadly can’t consider going till Saturday due to a commitment on Friday. In suspect by then the queue might be closed.

• Like 1

I saw on one of the x amount of royal family related threads that someone collapsed. That person was Lady Gabriella whose father is Prince Michael of Kent.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

The Telegraph are saying Keith Payne will attend but not the other two. 

Daily Mail seems to think they'll all be there. We'll see. I wouldn't be suprised if Cruickshank doesn't attend, he's 102, but if Limbu isn't there I would be a bit suprised.

49 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

I saw on one of the x amount of royal family related threads that someone collapsed. That person was Lady Gabriella whose father is Prince Michael of Kent.

They just cut away from livestream  someone else has just keeled over.

18 minutes ago, Redrumours said:

They just cut away from livestream  someone else has just keeled over.

Apparently an elderly guard. 

5 hours ago, Sean said:

In some ways it is more impressive that there is such a public outpouring when it isn't mandated by the state.

The Guardian cartoonist (Squires) put it best. If you're sad that's fine. If you're not sad, that's also fine, and you will be processed in due course.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Apparently an elderly guard. 

If that ends up being the only thing that didn't go according to plan then I must commend the Brits.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Keep calm and carry on I believe is the phrase. But the emotion shown, from a British perspective, is something to behold.

10 hours ago, arghton said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2022/09/14/who-invited-queens-funeral-guest-list-royals-politicians-leaders/

According to this Harald V of Norway and the Emir of Qatar will attend. As well as the Japanese Emperor, who hasn't attended a funeral abroad since 1993.

Are we mixing up our monarchs here? Emperor Naruhito is expected to attend. But he wasn't Emperor in 1993. Not seen whether Akihito is coming, but it wouldn't surprise me if he was. But I'm not sure your sentence made sense.

9 hours ago, Vinegar Tits said:

I'm on the train now heading down. Like you, always thought I would for The Queen, and it so happens I'm in a position to go down today rather than Saturday, so thought it best to go ASAP. Not really fussed how long it takes, it's a historic moment and I'd like to pay my respects.

• Like 3

I have heard some people say that it seems less over board than it was for Prince Phillip of The Queen Mother but I think because of the other constitutional events that have to take place that does seem like a bit of a distraction

These are historic days and that in itself is interesting. 

• Like 1

Why is poor old Duke of Kent being forced to walk in official occasions? Mercifully the cameras only showed on glimpse and from far just how painful and scary it looked. If he is famous enough, he would be a good candidate to DeathList IMHO.

9 minutes ago, Talkative Finn said:

Why is poor old Duke of Kent being forced to walk in official occasions? Mercifully the cameras only showed on glimpse and from far just how painful and scary it looked. If he is famous enough, he would be a good candidate to DeathList IMHO.

Nobody is being "forced" to do anything. If the Royals really aren't able to participate in something due to health issues, they can decide whether they wish to take part or not. I imagine he feels duty bound to do so. He was her cousin after all.

• Like 6

Well, let's say that they misuse his sense of duty. The Queen liked to have him as her companion (kind of spare-Philip), but the poor man gasped for air and used his sword as a walking stick etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoverAndOut said:

Are we mixing up our monarchs here? Emperor Naruhito is expected to attend. But he wasn't Emperor in 1993. Not seen whether Akihito is coming, but it wouldn't surprise me if he was. But I'm not sure your sentence made sense.

Nippon Hoso Kyokai explained it in a better way, without mixing Emperors like I did:

Japan's Imperial Household Agency says Emperor Naruhito will become the second Japanese Emperor to attend a funeral for a foreign royal family member or head of state, when he takes part in the ceremony for Britain's Queen Elizabeth II next week.

The agency says Emperor Emeritus Akihito and Empress Emerita Michiko attended the state funeral for Belgium's King Baudouin in 1993. They were the Emperor and Empress at that time.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Talkative Finn said:

Well, let's say that they misuse his sense of duty. The Queen liked to have him as her companion (kind of spare-Philip), but the poor man gasped for air and used his sword as a walking stick etc.

It's his cousin and a huge state occasion. He wouldn't have wanted to miss it. He didn't take part in the procession, he was driven to Westminster Hall, but as a working royal (as I believe he formally still is), he was entitled to be part of the family procession, so joined them lined up behind the coffin. I suspect the Queen's funeral will be his last major royal engagement.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Talkative Finn said:

Most certainly he is famous enough, and he has been in our sights for some time.

But as Rover has said, he didn't take part in the long walk to Westminster, but went by car with his brother Prince Michael.  That's why you only got "one glimpse" - he wasn't in the procession.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

as a working royal (as I believe he formally still is), he was entitled to be part of the family procession

It was based on close family, nothing to do with being a working royal, otherwise certain despicable cunts would not have taken such a prominent position.  :angry:

• Thanks 2

Also when he walked behind the other royals, the director made a clear point of always quickly cutting away from him (out of respect I think). I first noticed his difficulties at the Cenotaph few years ago.