Jimh

Queen Elizabeth II

57 minutes ago, Redrumours said:

Also Isn't  Harry meant to be Henry or am I missing something?

My understanding is that Diana wanted to call him Harry but it wasn't deemed suitably royal for the child of a future King, so it was insisted he was called Henry. Diana agreed on the proviso that he would be referred to by the family as Harry.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

My understanding is that Diana wanted to call him Harry but it wasn't deemed suitably royal for the child of a future King, so it was insisted he was called Henry. Diana agreed on the proviso that he would be referred to by the family as Harry.

Birth name Henry, actual name Harry was very common in Britain up till fairly recently.

Charles, Anne, Edward and Andrew just held a short vigal at her coffin with a lot of senior royals plus children watching. Only exception were William, Harry, Kate and Meghan. I assume they will appear tomorrow.

The line now is flowing quicker and looks like it is 5 lines in the hall.

Time for another sweepstake.

How many people are going to die in the ensuing black Friday esque mass brawl/stampede that's going to happen when the window for seeing her lie in state closes.

My guess is 27.

13 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

Charles, Anne, Edward and Andrew just held a short vigal at her coffin with a lot of senior royals plus children watching. Only exception were William, Harry, Kate and Meghan. I assume they will appear tomorrow.

The line now is flowing quicker and looks like it is 5 lines in hall.

Asked my kids to watch this part they were intrigued until the youngest 10-year-old said when can I go to the toilet, it ended there. I did try lol

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Charles De Gaulle said:

Time for another sweepstake.

How many people are going to die in the ensuing black Friday esque mass brawl/stampede that's going to happen when the window for seeing her lie in state closes.

My guess is 27.

Perhaps the multitudes will have already succumbed to exposure and exhaustion by then.  Queue is 22 hours and temperature is dropping. :ghost6:

12 minutes ago, Khthonia said:

Asked my kids to watch this part they were intrigued until the youngest 10-year-old said when can I go to the toilet, it ended there. I did try lol

Sounds similar to my 7 year old nephew last week on Friday the day after Queen died his Mother asked him “Did you do anything to remember the Queen?” My Nephew said “Yes we lit a candle and had to share our favourite memory of the Queen but I didn’t do it” his Mother asked “Why?” My Nephew said “ Because I didn’t have any Memories of her, I never saw her it was Silly.” Made me laugh. 

Also the other day he went to his Grandparents house and his Grandma had news on and naturally it was about the Queen and he groaned “This is boring when is the Tv getting back to normal?” His Grandma said “It’s for the Queen and it’s History and don’t you think it’s Sad the Queen has died?” and my Nephew Said “Yes it’s sad but it’s gone on too Long Now” 

My family tried too, must admit though I had to agree with him over the Tv coverage if I’d of said it I would of got a mouthful about disrespecting the Queen and being against the Monarchy  but he gets away with it bless him. 

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

The line now is flowing quicker and looks like it is 5 lines in the hall.

Commented when watching it that they're letting more in now than they were when I went last night. It was quite crowded in the hall, clearly they want to get as many through as possible and try to reduce the queue length a bit (a losing battle if you ask me). Glad I went when I did. I'd have waited as long as necessary but 7.5 hours was plenty, I can't begin to imagine how 22+ hours feels.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TQR said:

Today, in MournHub, the extraordinary queue to get into Westminster hall to look at a flag-bedraped coffin that may or may not have a Queen in it is past Bermondsey and through Southwark park, over 5 miles away. And they’ve finally decided the queue is at capacity!

Dear god in heaven.

Some nutter apparently rushed at the Queen's coffin and attempted to lift the Royal Standard.

My moneys on TQR trying to find out if shes in the box...

It is a bit worrying though. One big push and you would have had a body and half the crown jewels all over the floor.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, msc said:

Noting both Brian Mulroney and Joe Clark have opted to remain in Canada when given the choice to attend. They are both in their 80s, though Clark was recently active. The Canadian past PM's delegation suggests to expect a few extra aged faces from elsewhere too.

No sign of any of the ex Aussie PM’s coming. Surely if so many ex Canadian ones are coming the Aussie ones would be invited. Howard and Keating the only ones really old enough to be on our radar. 

99% sure all former British PM’s will be there.

• Like 1

On 09/09/2022 at 13:38, arghton said:

Here's my bets on the Asian ones over 70/ill - if invited (and a lot of the Asian royals were invited in 1952):

Hassanal Bolkiah of Brunei: now the longest-reigning monarch in the world, he's grown frailer during the last years, but will be there.

Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa of Bahrain: Not that frail. Will be there.

Norodom Sihamoni of Cambodia: Flies to China frequently for medical treatment and "checkups", most recently was there three weeks ago. My bet is that he'll be there.

King Salman of Saudi Arabia: He's still somewhat capable of attending events in his homecountry, but I doubt he'll be there because of his dementia.

Vajiralongkorn of Thailand: Playboy king of Thailand, spent time in ICU last year. 2009 US cable leaked by Wikileaks said "Vajiralongkorn is believed to be suffering from a blood-related medical condition (varying sources claim he is either: HIV positive; has Hepatitis C; is afflicted by a rare form of “blood cancer,” or some combination which leads to regular blood transfusions)." if he won't appear he's probably very ill, my bet is that he'll be there.

Emir Nawaf Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah of Kuwait: From what I understand he's in very ill health, spends time abroad for treatment, has mostly transferred power to his 81-year-old half-brother and Crown Prince who is also quite ill.

What about former monarchs? I wonder if there'll be any there, I could imagine Constantine II, last King of Greece there, but he'll be too ill to attend.

Hassanal Bolkiah will attend according to Brunei's news.

Emir Nawaf of Kuwait apparently won't. He'll be represented by the Crown Prince says Reuters.

Mohammed VI, King of Morocco won't attend, will possibly be represented by the Crown Prince. The King of Morocco has a history of heart surgeries and other health problems.

Nothing on Saudi, Thai, Bahraini, Cambodian royals yet as far as I know.

• Like 1

38A5EC55-E405-4B8A-B1FB-C51AA57E9A1A.thumb.jpeg.07b19d7a6c21880def2995a4476df700.jpeg

Blimey, she kept those shifts quiet.

• Haha 5

On 15/09/2022 at 19:59, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

You have your own fucking DL site to rant on, Z.

Fuck off back there.

Thanks, advice unheeded.

16 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Commented when watching it that they're letting more in now than they were when I went last night. It was quite crowded in the hall, clearly they want to get as many through as possible and try to reduce the queue length a bit (a losing battle if you ask me). Glad I went when I did. I'd have waited as long as necessary but 7.5 hours was plenty, I can't begin to imagine how 22+ hours feels.

If only Heathrow Terminal 3 security and Terminal 5 Border queues were that short. Last time I flew to the US, the shortest part of the journey was ON the aircraft. I've not flown since and not even bothered to renew my passport. Those who are able to queue for more than 5 minutes have my utmost respect and deepest sympathy.

18 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Well, King Henry IX (excl. Jacobites) is going to have a long wait. It's daft having Harry as short for Henry IMHO. My grandfather (Harold) was called nicknamed Harry, which makes more sense. What's next, Jack being short for John? Or... do we now call a coconut a cunt?

Not quite, but Cnut seems to be the preferred spelling of Canute nowadays. Asking for trouble though if you ask me, I've already seen the inevitable typo in one history magazine. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Pick what channel you want to watch the funeral - BBC, ITV or GB News (all without adverts).

BBC - Huw Edwards, Kirsty Young, Fergal Keane, David Dimbleby, Sophie Raworth, Anita Rani and JJ Chalmers

ITV - Mary Nightingale,  Chris Ship, Rageh Omaar, Nina Hossain

Sky News - Kay Burley, Anna Botting, Dermot Murnaghan, Alastair Bruce, Mark Austin

GB News - Eamonn Holmes, Isabel Webster, Alastair Stewart, Anne Diamond, David Starkey, Nigel Farage, Dan Wooton

TalkTV - Piers Morgan gives you a rundown of what happened in the day if you really want him

I hope no major news story happens after Monday because Huw Edwards needs a holiday.

• Like 1

Does anyone know what time the grandchildren's vigil takes place? 

22 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

Pick what channel you want to watch the funeral - BBC, ITV or GB News (all without adverts).

BBC - Huw Edwards, Kirsty Young, Fergal Keane, David Dimbleby, Sophie Raworth, Anita Rani and JJ Chalmers

ITV - Kay Burley, Anna Botting, Dermot Murnaghan, Alastair Bruce, Mark Austin

GB News - Eamonn Holmes, Isabel Webster, Alastair Stewart, Anne Diamond, David Starkey, Nigel Farage, Dan Wooton

TalkTV - Piers Morgan gives you a rundown of what happened in the day if you really want him

I hope no major news story happens after Monday because Huw Edwards needs a holiday.

Surely Kay Burley and Anna Botting would be on Sky News?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Khthonia said:

Does anyone know what time the grandchildren's vigil takes place? 

I'm puzzled. It was on BBC1 at 5.45pm but has now disappeared. No changes according to the BBC Live Text (it's not happening later in the evening etc.) but there's now just a news bulletin followed by a 50-minute weather bulletin at 5.40pm. My guess would be somewhere in there. There's not 50 minutes-worth of weather news to talk about, that's longer than the news bulletin that precedes it!

• Thanks 1

I see cars coming now must be soon

46 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

ITV - Kay Burley, Anna Botting, Dermot Murnaghan, Alastair Bruce, Mark Austin

Hopefully somebody will be capable of identifying most of the guests for us.  Something  I have missed over the last few years.  I think it was William & Catherine's wedding where I seemed to recognise more of the foreign royals than the commentators did.

53 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Surely Kay Burley and Anna Botting would be on Sky News?

I double checked and my bad. I mixed up channels and presenters. Check the link provided for who, what, where, when. I've now edited things to show ITV and Sky presenters.

• Like 1