Jimh

Queen Elizabeth II

3 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Really kind of regretting I didn't do it now

Me too, and I would have definitely gone up on Thursday if they hadn't kept quoting 30 hours at us - and also if I'd known that there would be trains running through the night!  The thought of getting to the end of the queue just in time to miss the last train home and being stuck in London in the middle of the night after all that time on my feet  ..... 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Really kind of regretting I didn't do it now, especially when I see all the young kids who did - but it was impossible to fit around work shifts. A couple of friends of mine did. Surprised they haven't closed the queue now - thought they'd have done that about 6 o'clock.

Interesting to see the heads of state turning up at Buckingham Palace. Biden alone (due to our Special Relationship) is the only one who gets to use his own transport. The odd thing for me is former heads of state - apparently Juan Carlos of Spain can go, but not Obama, Trump, Bush or Clinton? And what about Queen Beatrix? There should be some consistency there I think. 

Israeli President being allowed his own transport too.

• Like 1

Apparently people are still turning up to queue - what are they thinking? They are being told 'you may not get a wristband.' Why leave it until now? 

• Like 1

Queue has closed:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toast said:

Me too, and I would have definitely gone up on Thursday if they hadn't kept quoting 30 hours at us - and also if I'd known that there would be trains running through the night!  The thought of getting to the end of the queue just in time to miss the last train home and being stuck in London in the middle of the night after all that time on my feet  ..... 

I haven't seen anything to confirm or deny this but I seriously doubt anyone has waited anywhere near the times quoted. I don't know how manic Southwark Park has been (I joined the queue before it got there thankfully) but I saw someone on the BBC Live Text saying she'd joined the Queue at 9pm and reached Tower Bridge at 12.20am. That's 3 hours 20. It probably took me about half an hour to reach Tower Bridge from where I joined and my whole journey took 7.5 hours. So that means her journey wouldn't have taken more than 10-12 hours max, and that was when they were quoting 22 hour waits. I've not seen anyone interviewed afterwards who seems to have been waiting longer than 12 or 13 hours, I think they've just tried to really overegg the wait to keep the numbers manageable which seems to have worked. Sorry you didn't go, it's a shame you missed out, I know how much she meant to you.

• Thanks 1

It's been announced Prince George and Princess Charlotte are going to be at the funeral.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

I haven't seen anything to confirm or deny this but I seriously doubt anyone has waited anywhere near the times quoted. I don't know how manic Southwark Park has been (I joined the queue before it got there thankfully) but I saw someone on the BBC Live Text saying she'd joined the Queue at 9pm and reached Tower Bridge at 12.20am. That's 3 hours 20. It probably took me about half an hour to reach Tower Bridge from where I joined and my whole journey took 7.5 hours. So that means her journey wouldn't have taken more than 10-12 hours max, and that was when they were quoting 22 hour waits. I've not seen anyone interviewed afterwards who seems to have been waiting longer than 12 or 13 hours, I think they've just tried to really overegg the wait to keep the numbers manageable which seems to have worked. Sorry you didn't go, it's a shame you missed out, I know how much she meant to you.

I think the longest has been 13 hours. A relative of mine queued 12 hours from the middle of the night till this afternoon. Even that would have been a bit too much for me - I got bad feet pain yesterday just walking around London to Lay flowers and I serve the queue.

• Like 2

I’ve just checked Radio Times website for tomorrow. At least 35 channels including all possible Sky channels are broadcasting the funeral at the same time.

Channel 5 has The Emoji Movie.

1 hour ago, Summer in Transylvania said:

Rest in Peace. Biggest death of the year.

... so far. Joe Biden isn't looking as perky as he was, even though he's not a DLer.

• Facepalm 2

6 minutes ago, YouOnlyDieOnce said:

... so far. Joe Biden isn't looking as perky as he was, even though he's not a DLer.

You look perky while looking at coffins huh?

I know I'm always looking my best at a memorial service. :facepalm:

49 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

I’ve just checked Radio Times website for tomorrow. At least 35 channels including all possible Sky channels are broadcasting the funeral at the same time.

I was hoping that the BBC would put on a dedicated channel like they did for the 2012 Olympics. I think a Royal channel would be interesting, considering that we already have a parliament channel.

Just now, MortalCaso said:

You look perky while looking at coffins huh?

I know I'm always looking my best at a memorial service. :facepalm:

I meant in general, he appears more fragile every time I see him on TV.

Al Jazeera is actually a really good news channel for non-middle East topics. Their Ukraine coverage is actually far better than the BBC. So once the British media stops the wall-to-wall RF coverage they might not get their old viewers back anyway. It will be interesting to see their coverage of the funeral.

10 hours ago, Cerberus said:

The odd thing for me is former heads of state - apparently Juan Carlos of Spain can go, but not Obama, Trump, Bush or Clinton? And what about Queen Beatrix? There should be some consistency there I think. 

I expect that the ex-US Presidents weren’t invited because if they invited one, they would need to invite them all…including 45. Surprising as they apparently had a good relationship with the Obama’s.

I haven’t been keeping up with DL’s game of funeral invitation bingo, but my understanding is the reigning King of Spain will not be present. If that’s the case it makes sense for the former King of Spain - whose entire reign was within that of the Queen’s era - to attend to represent his nation.

25 minutes ago, Windsor said:

I expect that the ex-US Presidents weren’t invited because if they invited one, they would need to invite them all…including 45. Surprising as they apparently had a good relationship with the Obama’s.

I haven’t been keeping up with DL’s game of funeral invitation bingo, but my understanding is the reigning King of Spain will not be present. If that’s the case it makes sense for the former King of Spain - whose entire reign was within that of the Queen’s era - to attend to represent his nation.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-11225175/Queen-Letizia-links-arms-solemn-King-Spain-ahead-funeral-Aunt-Lilibet.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-11224951/Disgraced-King-Juan-Carlos-defies-government-asked-not-attend-Queens-funeral.html
King Felipe is there as well. Juan Carlos doesn’t look in great health through. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ladyfiona said:

Looked at the sky planner, its absolutely nuts. Every single Sky channel, sports, movies, sci-fi, arts etc is showing it.  ITV / BBC same. 

Looks like the kids get to watch CBeebies all day then.

I wonder if they will put Biden in a seat near the toilets?

• Haha 1

Anyone know who the people here are? Especially the frailer-looking ones

1:

funeral1.thumb.jpg.e3bd56729eb55442c25f27cfe9b2e2b0.jpg

2:

funeral3.thumb.jpg.4f294190a86ee59b68a7e2d75acd3e22.jpg

VC recipient Keith Payne is now wheelchairbound:

funeral2.thumb.jpg.8b2c3589acb6c5d4451f654065db5603.jpg

• Like 1

How monstrously inappropriate.

• Haha 1
  • Angry 2
  • Shocked 1

Everyone knows the reasons why, but it does seem ironic that Harry and Andrew, the only two in the family who saw active service, are the two not allowed to wear uniforms. Edward never completed his Marines training did he? Yet he has a chestful of medals. And what on earth did Tindall get his for?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cerberus said:

Everyone knows the reasons why, but it does seem ironic that Harry and Andrew, the only two in the family who saw active service, are the two not allowed to wear uniforms. Edward never completed his Marines training did he? Yet he has a chestful of medals. And what on earth did Tindall get his for?

Tindall's are for MBE, Diamond Jubilee medal, Platinum Jubilee medal.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Tindall's are for MBE, Diamond Jubilee medal, Platinum Jubilee medal.

Cheers. So basically you get one just for joining the family, well the men anyway.

Anyone been out yet? I want to get a paper, I'm guessing the corner shops will be open at least.