Jimh

Queen Elizabeth II

No sign of Paddington yet.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sean said:

No sign of Paddington yet.

He got deported last week.

As soon as she carked it, that was it for him, no more friends in high places.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Imagine if this funeral had been 2 years ago, and everyone had to watch it on zoom.

1 hour ago, RoverAndOut said:

Yeah, quite the rum bunch in picture 2. Sir Graham Brady behind the man in orange. A couple along from him is Iain Duncan Smith. Next to him Angela Rayner and next to her Rachel Reeves. I can spot on the end a few rows back Nigel Evans, mainly because he's an MP in a next door constituency.

Rayner and Reeves I can understand as Shadow Chancellor and Deputy Leader of the Opposition. But what about the rest? Nigel Evans was a Deputy Speaker a decade ago for 3 years only. Graham Brady is in charge of backbench Tory MPs, nothing more. IDS hasn't been in the Cabinet in about 6 years. Is he there as a former leader? And if so, where's the rest? (Hague and Howard, Kinnock, Miliband and Corbyn?)

I saw a picture of Hague arriving. I didn’t see the others and being also a current shadow cabinet member I would have thought Miliband would have been sitting with Rayner and Reeves. 

Nick Clegg was there as well.

2 hours ago, Toast said:

I think the ladies in the top pic are the Queen's ladies-in-waiting.  One of them is the aunt of a neighbour of mine, but I've never met her so don't know which one she is.

Update:  BBC website names the two ladies in front as Lady Susan Hussey (L) and Dame Mary Morrison (R).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62890879

I can't help any further, but your question sums up how piss-poor royal TV coverage is nowadays.  Time was when we would have been told who nearly everyone was, but the commentators today just don't seem to know.  They identify everyone that we already know, like the former PMs, but the lesser known Commonwealth heads of state are ignored.

I did do a bit of channel-hopping, and none of them were very good.  Why wasn't somebody doing their homework over the last ten days?  I don't expect it from Huw Edwards who has had to do too much.  They should have had someone lined up who knows their stuff.  They knew this would be coming in the next few years, and they ought to start work now for the Coronation.

I think at some events (such as Remembrance Sunday at the cenotaph) they give broadcasters an official list of guests in order of arrival/appearance but that wasn’t the case here.

14 minutes ago, Youth in Asia said:

Imagine if this funeral had been 2 years ago, and everyone had to watch it on zoom.

Like Prince Philip's funeral.

I had to explain to someone on another forum that no, it didn't show that the Royal Family had no friends. :facepalm:

• Haha 3

Just now, Toast said:

I had to explain to someone on another forum that no, it didn't show that the Royal Family had no friends. :facepalm:

Most of the guests at St George’s chapel would have been the same. Maybe less household staff to fit into some more official guests. 

32 minutes ago, Youth in Asia said:

Imagine if it had been raining all day today, got very lucky with weather too 

1 hour ago, RoverAndOut said:

Yeah, quite the rum bunch in picture 2. Sir Graham Brady behind the man in orange. A couple along from him is Iain Duncan Smith. Next to him Angela Rayner and next to her Rachel Reeves. I can spot on the end a few rows back Nigel Evans, mainly because he's an MP in a next door constituency.

Rayner and Reeves I can understand as Shadow Chancellor and Deputy Leader of the Opposition. But what about the rest? Nigel Evans was a Deputy Speaker a decade ago for 3 years only. Graham Brady is in charge of backbench Tory MPs, nothing more. IDS hasn't been in the Cabinet in about 6 years. Is he there as a former leader? And if so, where's the rest? (Hague and Howard, Kinnock, Miliband and Corbyn?)

Corbyn will either be down the allotments or making jam or summat.

1 hour ago, Redrumours said:

Corbyn will either be down the allotments or making jam or summat.

Signing apples or speaking at an anti-NATO rally most probably 

1 hour ago, Toast said:

Did that person have a low IQ??:unsure::lol:

4 hours ago, Toast said:

I can't help any further, but your question sums up how piss-poor royal TV coverage is nowadays.  Time was when we would have been told who nearly everyone was, but the commentators today just don't seem to know.  

The BBC made it clear they wouldn’t be saying too much over the ‘solemn’ coverage.

I did note that at one point they referred to the Duke of York as the Duke of Kent, opening themselves up for some serious slander lawsuits…

7 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Cheers. So basically you get one just for joining the family, well the men anyway.

Anyone been out yet? I want to get a paper, I'm guessing the corner shops will be open at least. 

The women get as well. They just don’t tend to wear them. 

Women do get to wear the Order of the Monarch though, which men don’t get. Don’t hear you complaining about that inequality eh, eh? Mind you I can’t see Meghan getting that Order either; not because she’s a bit black, but because she is an arsehole. 

• Haha 4

The Thai King didn't attend, Thailand didn't even send a royal, they only sent their UK ambassador. Some say this was a revenge for the UK sending Prince Andrew to King Bhumibol's funeral in 2017. Others say that it wss because he wasn't allowed to wear a crop top at the funeral

By the way, the guy in orange in Picture 2 was Bogoda Seelawimala Thera, Head Priest of the London Buddhist Vihara and the current Chief Sangha Nayaka of Great Britain, a Buddhist leader who had met QEII a few times. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, arghton said:

By the way, the guy in orange in Picture 2 was Bogoda Seelawimala Thera, Head Priest of the London Buddhist Vihara and the current Chief Sangha Nayaka of Great Britain, a Buddhist leader who had met QEII a few times. 

I assumed he had to be religious to get away with an outfit like that at The Queen's funeral. :lol:

5 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Did that person have a low IQ??:unsure::lol:

It was an American who believes everything Meghan Narcle says.

4 hours ago, Windsor said:

The BBC made it clear they wouldn’t be saying too much over the ‘solemn’ coverage.

I heard that and mentally noted it as a cop-out.  They could have done a lot more. 

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Toast said:

It was an American who believes everything Meghan Narcle says.

I heard that and mentally noted it as a cop-out.  They could have done a lot more. 

Sounds like you had your work cut out then penetrating their brain cells!:lol:

The first act of the new king should be forbidding anyone from naming their child “Meghan”.

Never met or known of a Meghan/Megan who wasn’t a cunt, or at best, a massive chav.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Well a era has ended with the funeral. I shall hope that Britain prospers with King Charles The III

So thats that then.

A topic that started 17 years and 185 pages ago in response to an April Fools rumour about her health the Queen is finally in the ground, returned to her husband, parents and sister.

Not as many appearances (4) as Kirk Douglas (18), Clive Dunn (16) or even her mother (14) but arguably the biggest name to ever appear on the list.

Unless some form of tragedy were to befall William it would seem unlikely that anyone alive today will see another sovereign on the throne for 70 years.

Maybe a discussion for his page but watching the coverage in the past few days, apart from other senior members of the Royal family the only other person I could think of that might be afforded a state funeral would be David Attenborough but I suppose time will tell on that one.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, openviews said:

So thats that then.

A topic that started 17 years and 185 pages ago in response to an April Fools rumour about her health the Queen is finally in the ground, returned to her husband, parents and sister.

Not as many appearances (4) as Kirk Douglas (18), Clive Dunn (16) or even her mother (14) but arguably the biggest name to ever appear on the list.

Unless some form of tragedy were to befall William it would seem unlikely that anyone alive today will see another sovereign on the throne for 70 years.

Maybe a discussion for his page but watching the coverage in the past few days, apart from other senior members of the Royal family the only other person I could think of that might be afforded a state funeral would be David Attenborough but I suppose time will tell on that one.

David Attenborough won’t be given a state funeral.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, openviews said:

So thats that then.

And we still haven't reached 200 pages yet, lol.

Is it over now? Is there anything else that can be written on the subject?

1 hour ago, Youth in Asia said:

Is it over now? Is there anything else that can be written on the subject?

If cause of her death is revealed, it should be good for another few pages.

• Haha 2