Jimh

Queen Elizabeth II

3 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

I think she means the headstone names.

Stop spoiling my fun!!!!!!:D

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Toast said:

FdKU6VBWAAE1CBE?format=jpg&name=small

I'm fine with that. Witty, without overstepping the mark. I don't think there will be much in the way of complaint. 

Must try and pick up a copy this week. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

I'm fine with that. Witty, without overstepping the mark. I don't think there will be much in the way of complaint. 

Must try and pick up a copy this week. 

They been lucky really with the timing meaning they didn’t have to print an edition during the mourning week. That would have been trickier. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Talkative Finn said:

I think I finally found that graphic (took some serious googling):

Inside memorial chapel.jpg

Thats the graphic. The bit on the left is wrong though; as in life the Queen's name will precede that of Prince Philip.

I was just thinking; they will have needed to replace the stone as if you look at the Queen Mother's inscription it takes up the whole space across. This would have meant the Queen's name would have to have been in a smaller text which would not do at all! 

If the vault is 18ft high, surely there is enough space to stack another two. 

3 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

I'm fine with that. Witty, without overstepping the mark. I don't think there will be much in the way of complaint. Must try and pick up a copy this week. 

Yes, there were some mutterings in the Twitter comments that it wasn't offensive enough :D

22 minutes ago, openviews said:

This is supposedly what the new stone looks like.

image.thumb.jpeg.6bb1b7f3479c4450eeb60b7090fc5892.jpeg

Bit tacky.

• Like 1

Philip must be turning in his grave. Bottom of the list. No surname.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Windsor said:

Thats the graphic. The bit on the left is wrong though; as in life the Queen's name will precede that of Prince Philip.

I was just thinking; they will have needed to replace the stone as if you look at the Queen Mother's inscription it takes up the whole space across. This would have meant the Queen's name would have to have been in a smaller text which would not do at all! 

It says in Wikipedia that originally the memorial chapel was ordered to have room for three monarchs and their spouses. But maybe they changed their mind and retconned it just to be meant for these four. 18 feet is a real overkill, over here 2.1 meters is considered a deep grave suitable for two coffins (to a 2.7 meters deep grave you could fit three coffins) . And especially when they must have given some thought about preventing moisture seeping from the ground etc. It would probably have been difficult enough to build a 10 feet high vault, especially when it had to be added to a very old historical building.

Edited by Talkative Finn
Corrected typo
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Toast said:

Yes, there were some mutterings in the Twitter comments that it wasn't offensive enough :D

Grammatically, of course, it doesn't quite work. Charles would not have used the past tense to someone who was still queuing. But if he'd said "how long have you been waiting?" that doesn't work either, because he's not waiting any more.

I'm sure they'll get a letter to that effect. 

15 hours ago, openviews said:

This is supposedly what the new stone looks like.

image.thumb.jpeg.6bb1b7f3479c4450eeb60b7090fc5892.jpeg

Looks like the end title sequence for Juilet Bravo.

• Like 3

I might go and see the tomb at some point. Windsor is a lovely castle and I have been there before but not for a while.

• Like 1

On 09/09/2022 at 11:38, arghton said:

Here's my bets on the Asian ones over 70/ill - if invited (and a lot of the Asian royals were invited in 1952):

Hassanal Bolkiah of Brunei: now the longest-reigning monarch in the world, he's grown frailer during the last years, but will be there.

Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa of Bahrain: Not that frail. Will be there.

Norodom Sihamoni of Cambodia: Flies to China frequently for medical treatment and "checkups", most recently was there three weeks ago. My bet is that he'll be there.

King Salman of Saudi Arabia: He's still somewhat capable of attending events in his homecountry, but I doubt he'll be there because of his dementia.

Vajiralongkorn of Thailand: Playboy king of Thailand, spent time in ICU last year. 2009 US cable leaked by Wikileaks said "Vajiralongkorn is believed to be suffering from a blood-related medical condition (varying sources claim he is either: HIV positive; has Hepatitis C; is afflicted by a rare form of “blood cancer,” or some combination which leads to regular blood transfusions)." if he won't appear he's probably very ill, my bet is that he'll be there.

Emir Nawaf Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah of Kuwait: From what I understand he's in very ill health, spends time abroad for treatment, has mostly transferred power to his 81-year-old half-brother and Crown Prince who is also quite ill.

What about former monarchs? I wonder if there'll be any there, I could imagine Constantine II, last King of Greece there, but he'll be too ill to attend.

In the end only Hassanal Bolkiah of Brunei attended out of those mentioned, 

6 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

I might go and see the tomb at some point. Windsor is a lovely castle and I have been there before but not for a while.

Because my parents are away right now i'm planning to take mum to visit the castle when St George's Chapel is open to visitors again. We last went proper tourist about ten years ago. So would be nice for my mum to be able to pay respects in some way.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Sean said:

received_2059325034270708.jpeg

That must be a fake post. I've received an email from the Governor of the Bank of Nigeria. Apparently, she's got over a £ billion hidden there but he needs my help to get it out. However, I'm a bit worried that he won't send the 20% commission to my Paraguayan bank account in the name of Adolf Goering.

• Haha 5

On 21/09/2022 at 23:07, Windsor said:

I have started to wonder about that, since according this Wikipedia article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_George_VI_Memorial_Chapel the chapel's measurements are "18 feet high, 10 feet in width with a depth of 14 feet". What if the tabloid which commissioned the graphic just copied that information from there and mistook it to mean the measurements of the vault below? As Windsor wrote earlier, no-one except the Royal family really knows what lies down there. Would they really build 18 feet high chapel and 18 feet deep vault under it just to be symmetrical?

On 21/09/2022 at 14:18, Toast said:

FdKU6VBWAAE1CBE?format=jpg&name=small

Picked up the Eye today, plenty of excellent analysis of the royal coverage. As for their account of The Queen's demise, no specific details aside from that she wasn't as well as was being portrayed, she was having more bad days than good days, medication was helping keep her sprightly when needed but then stopped working and her demise was more sudden than expected. Charles arrived in the nick of time, the rest were too late, she died around 3pm  but the news networks were embargoed until 6.30pm. But there was no real expectation of her dying in Balmoral, she fully expected to return to Windsor next month. Well worth a read if you can get a copy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

2 minutes ago, openviews said:

image.thumb.jpeg.37b4ba322f21cc054da1515a0a70bff7.jpeg

Sad but fitting.

• Like 2

I wonder if Mr and Mrs Dumbarton sent a wreath this time.

42 minutes ago, openviews said:

image.thumb.jpeg.37b4ba322f21cc054da1515a0a70bff7.jpeg

Looks less tacky.

Are we to presume that this image has been leaked as it looks like someone has taken it with their phone through the closed gate. The Chapel was supposed to be closed until next week.

Edit: looks like only the four of them will be interred which means Princess Margaret needn't have been cremated after all. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Picked up the Eye today, plenty of excellent analysis of the royal coverage. As for their account of The Queen's demise, no specific details aside from that she wasn't as well as was being portrayed, she was having more bad days than good days, medication was helping keep her sprightly when needed but then stopped working and her demise was more sudden than expected. Charles arrived in the nick of time, the rest were too late, she died around 3pm  but the news networks were embargoed until 6.30pm. But there was no real expectation of her dying in Balmoral, she fully expected to return to Windsor next month. Well worth a read if you can get a copy.

I don’t think the news networks knew much before 6.30 what time the statement would come or it’s contents. None of them were fully ready. Huw Edwards on BBC had to cut into a discussion with Nicholas Witchell, Mary Nightingale didn’t have the statement in front of her and had to wait a few seconds, Channel Four took about 5 mins to get on the air and Sky News stumbled slightly as well. 

Medication honestly sounds like something like cancer killed her. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Windsor said:

Looks less tacky.

Are we to presume that this image has been leaked as it looks like someone has taken it with their phone through the closed gate. The Chapel was supposed to be closed until next week.

Edit: looks like only the four of them will be interred which means Princess Margaret needn't have been cremated after all. 

That’s if there is room for five or more coffins Anyway. 

• Like 1