Jimh

Queen Elizabeth II

The Queen has announced she wants Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall, to be known as Queen when Prince Charles becomes King.

In a message marking the 70th anniversary of her reign, the Queen said it was her "sincere wish" that Camilla would have that title.

There had been suggestions Camilla would be a "Princess Consort".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60274816

• Like 1

Queen Camilla.

I can hear Diana screaming in the afterlife just saying that out loud.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Alex said:

Good.  That's exactly as it should be.  There was never any reason why it shouldn't.

Camilla has chosen not to use the style of Princess of Wales, and that should be enough of a concession to appease the Diana fans.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Toast said:

Good.  That's exactly as it should be.  There was never any reason why it shouldn't.

Camilla has chosen not to use the style of Princess of Wales, and that should be enough of a concession to appease the Diana fans.

Completely agree. No reason at all that they should be bound by hypothetical sensitivities on behalf of someone who has been dead for a quarter of a century and who willingly divorced him.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Brad252 said:

Let's see how long before this gets debunked:

Daily-Star-Sunday.jpg

Its probably been debunked by the first couple of paragraphs of her statement.

Unless she intends to die in the next 12 months.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Windsor said:

Its probably been debunked by the first couple of paragraphs of her statement.

Unless she intends to die in the next 12 months.

Yes I recall a rumour many years ago of the Queen planning to announce her abdication in her Christmas speech, which of course never materialised. I don't think it's beyond the bounds though that she de facto abdicates, in which she's still head of state but 99% of her duties are carried out by Charles and other family members, should her health deteriorate to the point this is necessary (this could make State Openings of Parliament interesting).

Unless she surprisingly died in her sleep like her father, she's got the 70 now

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, roaming_comrade said:

Unless she surprisingly died in her sleep like her father, she's got the 70 now

Wasn't that much of a surprise. He had lung cancer.

30 minutes ago, Brad252 said:

I don't think it's beyond the bounds though that she de facto abdicates, in which she's still head of state but 99% of her duties are carried out by Charles and other family members, should her health deteriorate to the point this is necessary (this could make State Openings of Parliament interesting).

This has been gradually happening for ages though, and it's perfectly natural and sensible as the Queen has aged.  Nobody would expect her to do as many duties as she did when young. 

That's not abdication though - nowhere near.

54 minutes ago, Windsor said:

Wasn't that much of a surprise. He had lung cancer.

Was it public knowledge at the time though?

Presumably the Queen wouldn't have gone to Kenya in the first place if they'd known how close to death he was.

13 minutes ago, dodrade said:

Presumably the Queen wouldn't have gone to Kenya in the first place if they'd known how close to death he was.

He seemed to have gotten better for the past few months and his death wasnt a complete surprise but there was definitely a degree of unexpectedness when they found him dead in bed in the morning.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dodrade said:

My understanding is Phil was told about his death so he broke the news to Liz while they were on a well deserved break or summat.

The King was at the Airport waving them off,2-3 days before he died.They must have known he was near death.

Seems like an appropriate time to resurrect this old chestnut from 2012. With the news that Camilla will be Queen (consort), can’t wait to see what ridiculous plotline The Globe/National Enquirer will run with…

C358C4B7-7EAD-4DC3-A40E-7D8A2ED93D47.jpeg

We all knew that Camilla would be Queen eventually. Charles wouldn't have allowed anything else.

6 hours ago, Philip said:

We all knew that Camilla would be Queen eventually. Charles wouldn't have allowed anything else.

He might flick it before the queen 

This is only happening because Phil is dead.

11 hours ago, Toast said:

I think over time people have gradually accepted Camilla.  If Charles had married her in the first instance rather than Diana I think she’d probably be one of the most popular royals behind the Queen.  

• Like 1

I think it's interesting that Queenie has gone out of her way to mention that she endorses Camilla to be Queen, when it might have been easier at the time of Charles' coronation to say it was a de facto thing. Or at the very least, leave all of this drama to them after she's gone.

It's also interestingly timed a few hours after she said, "I'll just stick the knife in..."

I expect she thinks Camilla will also be the natural choice to own her nags when she's gone.

My late Nan always used to say she saw the footage at the airport and guessed he was dying. I am not sure how - I don’t think she had a Tv in 1952 and she wasn’t much of a cinema goer.

1 minute ago, Redrumours said:

I expect she thinks Camilla will also be the natural choice to own her nags when she's gone.

I am not sure Camila has the same passion about horse racing as she does. I think she enjoys other forms of equine activities more, 

37 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

My late Nan always used to say she saw the footage at the airport and guessed he was dying. I am not sure how - I don’t think she had a Tv in 1952 and she wasn’t much of a cinema goer.

Hmm. I am led to believe from the obit cinereal that footage of the King at the airport was seen in the cinemas in the days before he died, and he does look fucking ghastly in it. However, that footage was seen considerably more AFTER the King died as it was his final public appearance. Also, the King had to miss several public events in 1951 due to health issues, so even as the press downplayed the severity, there was enough of a "The King is seriously ill" vibe for news of his death to not surprising if you looked back on it. (Although because his cancer/other woes were kept quiet, it was apparently a huge surprise to a vast number of people.)

So its quite possible that even if she didn't see the footage before hand, her memories of all of the above merged together. Or maybe she just went to the cinema one day...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redrumours said:

My money would be on Zara.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Toast said:

My money would be on Zara.

Oh yes I'd forgotten about her.