Jimh

Queen Elizabeth II

4 hours ago, Pop Declogs said:

He might flick it before the queen 

We can only hope.

18 minutes ago, Philip said:

We can only hope.

I don't understand this attitude.

Charles has done a lot of good in his time as Prince of Wales.  He has been campaigning on green issues for as long as I can remember.  He was way ahead of his time.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

As of today, the Queen has sat on the throne for 70 years.

Her butt must be super fucking numb by now

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Toast said:

I don't understand this attitude.

Charles has done a lot of good in his time as Prince of Wales.  He has been campaigning on green issues for as long as I can remember.  He was way ahead of his time.

He talk's to his trees.:scratchhead:

1 hour ago, Redrumours said:

He talks to his trees.:scratchhead:

I suppose it saves humans having to talk to him.

It's official. My street are going to have a street party to celebrate Queen's Jubilee...one day before my birthday which will be nice.

• Like 2

Can't see my street doing that 

The street next to me had one for the Diamond Jubilee. It was like a morgue with everyone standing outside their houses while avoiding one house who was meant to take sort but fell out with the organiser just before and then boycotted it and wouldn’t move their cars. Both of the people involved still live on that street but I can’t see them repeating it.

• Like 1

Ours will be in a field.  It coincides with the regular village fete anyway which is always the first w/e in June.

I wasn’t around for the Silver. I’m sure some of our more mature members have stories though. :P

During the Golden Jubilee I was living with my folks in London on a mews with about 60 houses. Every household came out to celebrate on the street. I remember the lovely Frenchman next door putting on an amazing bbq. There was also champagne, cake, and plenty of dancing.

During the Diamond Jubilee, I lived in Aberdeen, where everyone is miserable and communicating with your neighbour is like starting a conversation with a stranger on the New York subway, so fuck all happened!

• Haha 1

I only remember getting stoned behind the marquee.

• Like 1

I was only about 8 months old for the silver, but I have seen the slides of the street party. It looked fun. I was living in Germany for the Golden so I missed that. I don't remember the diamond but I don't remember in being widely celebrated here on Mona's Isle. 

One thing I remember for the Golden was a friend of mine telling me that her nieces, who were around 5 and 6 had misunderstood what it was all about and were in their front garden waving little union flags and shouting 'The Queen Mother is dead, The Queen Mother is dead'. One of them had an obsession with drawing pictures of the Queen Mum in her coffin too and I often find myself wondering what their forum names in here are.

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

Just noticed on Wikipedia that today is the 20th anniversary of the death of Princess Margaret. Early February clearly doesn't agree with the Windsor family.

She's certainly looking a little frailer in the most recent pictures and has lost weight, we'll chalk that up to grief and being 95.  Other than that still seems as healthy as ever.  Her Mum looked about the same at this age, I'd be astounded if she didn't make it to 100.

• Like 1

The press are going heavy on the concerns that she might have Covid due to Charles visiting her this week. 

36 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

The press are going heavy on the concerns that she might have Covid due to Charles visiting her this week. 

Still, it won't be so much of a worry compared with her terminal pancreatic cancer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, The Old Crem said:

I expect if she gets covid as a result she'll survive it: covid has got milder over the last 2 years and she'll have had every vaccine shot she's eligible for.

That said if she did pass on as a result it would be quite the downgrade from the Battle of Bosworth when it comes to heirs overthrowing the monarch.

• Like 3

We were told right at the outset of this thing that nobody could get it more than once, it would be just like chickenpox. I imagine that some unlucky people have caught each variant as it came along, but even so, what an absolute lie that turned out to be. Charles and Camilla both had this back in the spring of 2020 as I recall. 

20 hours ago, prussianblue said:

Just noticed on Wikipedia that today is the 20th anniversary of the death of Princess Margaret. Early February clearly doesn't agree with the Windsor family.

I'm sure that Windsor could have told you this, but no British monarch (including the Duke of Windsor) has died in the second half of the year since George II succumbed on the toilet in October 1760. That's like tossing a coin and getting eight heads in a row. Though surely it can't be the winter weather, given that only four of those went before the end of February. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Cerberus said:

We were told right at the outset of this thing that nobody could get it more than once, it would be just like chickenpox. I imagine that some unlucky people have caught each variant as it came along, but even so, what an absolute lie that turned out to be.

Are you sure about that?  I don't remember any such guarantees.  Not enough was known about the virus and the scientists were open about that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zerbey said:

She's certainly looking a little frailer in the most recent pictures and has lost weight, we'll chalk that up to grief and being 95.  Other than that still seems as healthy as ever.  Her Mum looked about the same at this age, I'd be astounded if she didn't make it to 100.

I wouldn't. It's likely, considering how as you said she looks a lot like the Queen Mother looked at her age. Someone on another forum actually made a comparison a couple of days ago and I'd say that she even looks better.

However four years is always a long time for a nonagenarian, even a healthy one with good genes. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Toast said:

Are you sure about that?  I don't remember any such guarantees.  Not enough was known about the virus and the scientists were open about that.

It also didn’t make a lot of scientific sense that people would be immune for life. Covid is clearly closer to flu and other rapidly changing virus’s than the life long immunity ones like chicken Pox. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cerberus said:

I'm sure that Windsor could have told you this, but no British monarch (including the Duke of Windsor) has died in the second half of the year since George II succumbed on the toilet in October 1760. 

I didn’t say that. Or at least I don’t think I did.

It sounds like something only a nerd would know and I am not nerd.

I was going to make a list but we've got over 1000 year history of a monarchy going on. Out of the 104 monarchs we have had since 843AD excluding the two Cromwell's (going by this list). 29 have died between December and March either by natural causes, war or assasinations (including Edward VIII who abdicated).