Jump to content
Jimh

12. Queen Elizabeth II

Recommended Posts

Looking good in today’s pic with the Swiss President.

 

She’ll become the world’s 3rd longest reigning sovereign monarch in 10 days time.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10763325/Smiling-Queen-stands-unaided-holds-face-face-audience-president-Switzerland.html

 

@Ulitzer95 Yes sounds and looks very positive or reassuring.  As the Daily Mail emphasises  standing unaided for the visit.

I think reports of her demise have been greatly exaggerated as the saying goes .

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For anyone who didn't know, it's exactly 2 years until she would surpass Louis 14 as the worlds longest reigning monarch. I'm finding it hard to think she'll last that long, however. :wheelchair:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Miranda lass said:

For anyone who didn't know, it's exactly 2 years until she would surpass Louis 14 as the worlds longest reigning monarch. I'm finding it hard to think she'll last that long, however:wheelchair:

 

Then you need to open your eyes and apply some common sense, hen. 

 

People can live longer while vegetating in their own piss, yet because she needs a stick she's brown bread? Get a grip. She'll live to be 100 and more.

  • Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/04/2022 at 23:08, Gooseberry Crumble said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10771337/The-Queen-appearing-balcony-Platinum-Jubilee-no-means-guaranteed-mobility.html

 

Palace insider warns that the Queen appearing on the Buckingham Palace balcony  for the platinum jubilee is far from guaranteed. 

 

I can guarantee it. She'll be there. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Windsor said:

 

I can guarantee it. She'll be there. 

Oooh  interesting! I hope she is but what makes you so confident?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Oooh  interesting! I hope she is but what makes you so confident?

 

Because its her fucking job. :D

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Windsor said:

 

Then you need to open your eyes and apply some common sense, hen. 

 

People can live longer while vegetating in their own piss, yet because she needs a stick she's brown bread? Get a grip. She'll live to be 100 and more.

Some people seem  to assume that  people fade out and die quickly.  The reality is quite different  the majority of the time.  Poor mobility  and the inevitable fading away can last a decade. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Some people seem  to assume that  people fade out and die quickly.  The reality is quite different  the majority of the time.  Poor mobility  and the inevitable fading away can last a decade. 

If that ever becomes me I'd be trying to arrange an "Old Man's friend party", if there is such a thing, in the hope that I can be put out of my misery before all that suffering and expense happens. Somehow don't think the Queen would do this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A healthy 96-year-old reaching 100 is never guaranteed, but she's still very active and looks great in that picture posted a few days ago: I would say that there is currently no need to worry about her health. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it’s remarkable how well she’s doing; Crem read her last rites ages ago now.

  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm beginning to wonder how she will manage with the state opening of Parliament which is what, late October? Some way off yet. If she can get by with a stick all well and good but I can't imagine her agreeing to be wheeled into the House. This is one of her biggest gigs of the year, so if Charles has to stand in for her we'll effectively have the beginning of a regency. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

I'm beginning to wonder how she will manage with the state opening of Parliament which is what, late October? Some way off yet. If she can get by with a stick all well and good but I can't imagine her agreeing to be wheeled into the House. This is one of her biggest gigs of the year, so if Charles has to stand in for her we'll effectively have the beginning of a regency. 

Charles did it last year as well did he  not ? 

 

That may have been to Covid issues of course

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TQR said:

I think it’s remarkable how well she’s doing; Crem read her last rites ages ago now.

It's remarkable that a woman who's the monarch that doctors are trying to keep alive 24/7 is alive?  Not really.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, DaDeathGuy said:

It's remarkable that a woman who's the monarch that doctors are trying to keep alive 24/7 is alive?  Not really.

 

203844D3-B2EA-4864-881F-3AE66A0F339D.gif.403c88d005333b809bf3772a7dae283f.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TQR said:

 

203844D3-B2EA-4864-881F-3AE66A0F339D.gif.403c88d005333b809bf3772a7dae283f.gif

Yep, high I.Q. posts going on around the Deathlist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, DaDeathGuy said:

Yep, high I.Q. posts going on around the Deathlist.


Thank you for recognising mine!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cerberus said:

I'm beginning to wonder how she will manage with the state opening of Parliament which is what, late October? Some way off yet. If she can get by with a stick all well and good but I can't imagine her agreeing to be wheeled into the House. This is one of her biggest gigs of the year, so if Charles has to stand in for her we'll effectively have the beginning of a regency. 

 

Delegating jobs does not amount to a regency. 

The word "regent" is related to reign.  From the OED:

A person appointed to administer the affairs of a country or state during the minority, absence, or incapacity of the monarch.

"Incapacity" generally means mental incapacity, as in the case of George III.  As long as the Queen is capable of going through her red boxes in the mornings, she'll carry on.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Toast said:

 

Delegating jobs does not amount to a regency. 

The word "regent" is related to reign.  From the OED:

A person appointed to administer the affairs of a country or state during the minority, absence, or incapacity of the monarch.

"Incapacity" generally means mental incapacity, as in the case of George III.  As long as the Queen is capable of going through her red boxes in the mornings, she'll carry on.

 

Deal or no deal?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Cerberus said:

I'm beginning to wonder how she will manage with the state opening of Parliament which is what, late October? Some way off yet. If she can get by with a stick all well and good but I can't imagine her agreeing to be wheeled into the House.  

 

That would be the 10th May, dear.

 

She will confirm whether or not she's doing it on the day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought it was always after the long summer recess? You live and learn. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Opening of Parliament was changed to spring around 2010. But wouldn't it be enough for her just to show up to the actual House of Lords and read the speech? Procession through the Royal Gallery is hardly a necessity. They could just smuggle her to appear from some suitable side door, since she can clearly walk some distance on a good day. Or then they could close the Royal Gallery from media and public for "security reasons" and wheel her to the door she usually uses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just been announced she won’t be attending any garden parties this summer. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

Your use of this forum is subject to our Terms of Use