Jump to content
Jimh

12. Queen Elizabeth II

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I'm rather disappointed with her stubbornness concerning wheelchairs. After all, Queen Victoria finally bit the bullet and was depicted (in drawings) visiting wounded soldiers in a wheelchair. And she was not completely bound to one either. She managed to walk to the Frogmore Mausoleum 14th of December 1900 (assisted by the Prince of Wales) about five weeks before her death, and probably also regularly was able to manage short distances (e.g. to toilet) with the help of her dressers.

image.png.9ac14efdc3f6c7405506f2a3931da3e9.png

Edited by Talkative Finn
Adding more information
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder what the odds are of her croaking before the Jubilee public holiday? She's already wimped out of some of her garden parties. For God's sake woman, get a damn wheelchair, at least you can have the Rolls Royce logo put on it or a horses tail. Margaret wasn't as vain.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, YouOnlyDieOnce said:

I wonder what the odds are of her croaking before the Jubilee public holiday? She's already wimped out of some of her garden parties. For God's sake woman, get a damn wheelchair, at least you can have the Rolls Royce logo put on it or a horses tail. Margaret was too pissed to care.

 

FTFY

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, YouOnlyDieOnce said:

I wonder what the odds are of her croaking before the Jubilee public holiday? She's already wimped out of some of her garden parties. For God's sake woman, get a damn wheelchair, at least you can have the Rolls Royce logo put on it or a horses tail. Margaret wasn't as vain.

I think her not wanting to use a wheelchair comes from her mother not wanting to use one but it’s her choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know from numerous personal examples that people can be very, very unwilling to use a wheelchair.  Part of it seems to be the idea that it represents loss of control and independence, and a surrender to incapacity. 

 

Of course the other side of the coin is that it enables them to do things and go places that they couldn't otherwise manage, and I would have thought the Queen would be practical enough to take that attitude.  I can see why the garden party schtick would be a pain from a wheelchair though.  Going around chatting from person to person, she would definitely want to be in control of when to move on.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reports saying she wants to go the state opening but Charles is on standby incase she feels she can’t. 

 

 

Also an interesting report in the Telegraph about the planning for the Ascension council the day Charles succeeds to the throne. Made it sound like it could happen quite soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Means fuck all IMO. Just cutting out needless numbers ahead of time rather than causing rows further down the line. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Reports saying she wants to go the state opening but Charles is on standby incase she feels she can’t. 

 

 

Also an interesting report in the Telegraph about the planning for the Ascension council the day Charles succeeds to the throne. Made it sound like it could happen quite soon. 


How many months has she survived your terminal pancreatic cancer diagnosis for now?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/05/2022 at 15:31, Toast said:

I know from numerous personal examples that people can be very, very unwilling to use a wheelchair.  Part of it seems to be the idea that it represents loss of control and independence, and a surrender to incapacity. 

 

Of course the other side of the coin is that it enables them to do things and go places that they couldn't otherwise manage, and I would have thought the Queen would be practical enough to take that attitude.  I can see why the garden party schtick would be a pain from a wheelchair though.  Going around chatting from person to person, she would definitely want to be in control of when to move on.

 

Perhaps her cunning plan was overruled :huh:

image.thumb.png.780c390987661aaa5139debac1f86224.png

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Reports saying she wants to go the state opening but Charles is on standby incase she feels she can’t. 

 

 

Also an interesting report in the Telegraph about the planning for the Ascension council the day Charles succeeds to the throne. Made it sound like it could happen quite soon. 

 

1. Not news about the State Opening of Parliament. We know that in all cases now the Queen decides on the day if she will be carrying out a potential engagement. Case in point, she hasn't even committed to being seen on the balcony for her own Jubilee. 

 

2. Matters regarding the succession are constantly under review, including funeral plans which have been in place for decades.

 

In short, there still isn't proof she is going to keel over imminently.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/05/2022 at 10:41, Talkative Finn said:

I'm rather disappointed with her stubbornness concerning wheelchairs. After all, Queen Victoria finally bit the bullet and was depicted (in drawings) visiting wounded soldiers in a wheelchair. And she was not completely bound to one either. She managed to walk to the Frogmore Mausoleum 14th of December 1900 (assisted by the Prince of Wales) about five weeks before her death, and probably also regularly was able to manage short distances (e.g. to toilet) with the help of her dressers.

image.png.9ac14efdc3f6c7405506f2a3931da3e9.png

 

Queen Victoria did fuck all for much of the last 40 years of her reign because she was too sad. 

 

She also didn't have to worry about wankers on internet forms looking at the pictures and concluding that she needs the wheelchair because she has pancreatic cancer...

  • Like 3
  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As it is now Monday, the Queen has overtaken Johan II of Liechtenstein to become the world's 3rd longest reigning sovereign monarch in recorded history.

In 35 days from now, she'll overtake Rama IX of Thailand to become the 2nd.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

As it is now Monday, the Queen has overtaken Johan II of Liechtenstein to become the world's 3rd longest reigning sovereign monarch in recorded history.

In 35 days from now, she'll overtake Rama IX of Thailand to become the 2nd.


She will almost certainly outdo the former king of Thailand but the real question is can she best Louis XIV?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

As it is now Monday, the Queen has overtaken Johan II of Liechtenstein to become the world's 3rd longest reigning sovereign monarch in recorded history.

In 35 days from now, she'll overtake Rama IX of Thailand to become the 2nd.

 

In 35 days she will have the longest reign in world history on account of that wee French prick having a regency until he acquired some pubes. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Windsor said:

 

In 35 days she will have the longest reign in world history on account of that wee French prick having a regency until he acquired some pubes. 

then she technically already is, because the Thai King also had a regency in his early reign.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pulls out of State Opening of Parliament due to episodic mobility issues. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like to think it’s because she’s had enough of this bollocks.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this makes it more likely she won't physically be at any of the Platinum jubilee events, or at best a brief appearance somewhere (like the Buckingham Palace balcony).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BBC News: Queen hands over to Charles for State Opening of Parliament

 

Quote

The Queen has pulled out of this year's State Opening of Parliament and the reading of the Queen's speech, Buckingham Palace has announced.

 

This will be the first time since 1963 that the Queen will have missed this constitutional ceremony, which sets out the government's legislative plans.

 

Prince Charles will deliver the speech on Tuesday for the Queen.

 

  • Shocked 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh dear, she'll move into home hospice care at any minute now.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not surprising at all, but if the speech is written by officials at No. 10, and delivered by the Prince of Wales, in what sense is it 'the Queen's Speech?'

 

For all we know, she hasn't even read it. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

Your use of this forum is subject to our Terms of Use